IG pool rebuild - Long Island

DE gives you the best filtration, Cartridge the next best and Sand the least best.

But, from a performance standpoint they all perform equally well at removing particulate matter from your pool. Unless you spend time staring closely in your pool at night with the lights on you will never know the difference. You just can't see it.

The downside to DE filters is that if you have serious algae problems DE filters clog faster and take more time to clean. But you are on TFP and will follow the TFP method and won't have algae problems right !!!! So it doesn't matter to you.

The secret to a trouble free filter is to grossly oversize the filter. Purchase a filter at least twice the recommended size for your pool. That way your pool operates at lower pressure, and like Matt above you only have to clean the filter once or twice a year. I clean my cartridge filter twice a year.

Just my two cents, if your existing walls are level and in good shape I would leave then and redo everything else. Concrete walls generally are better at staying in place. In other words they don't tend to move as much in the winter. The less you disturb the soil then the less you are going to worry about compaction.

Right, I'm not going to make my filter choice based on algae issues, as there shouldn't be any. It's good to know there's not a huge difference in water clarity from 4u to 10u.

I don't think I have many options to grosssly oversize the filter, since the pool will be 40k-50k gallons.

update: I hired a builder to do the job! Not the BS salesman..I just couldn't justify hiring them, even thought they were cheaper.
Since the new builder will only do the job with a proper permit, we decided to change the shape to a rectangle: 44x20 or 48x25 (depending on ground conditions)

I have a few options I need to make a decisions on in the upcoming weeks:

LED Lights vs incandescent
Nat gas heater now or in the future
polaris mini jets that spray into the pool - my wife mainly wants these for the sound

We are still deciding on a hardscaped patio, or just doing grass. We are also undecided on the filter/pump site.

Okay, update: I've been in trouble with the town for removing too many bushes, so they put my pool permit on hold.

But I'm ready to go. The old pool has been removed.
a2JNp98.jpg

The shaping/excavation begins this Wednesday and then the walls go in later next week.

- - - Updated - - -

How is your pool remodel going? Did you decided on concrete or steel wall. Am also from Suffolk county Long Island and planning on my pool redo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going with the concrete walls. By now, you probably already made your decision, but PM me if you want to know which contractor I'm using.

BTW, I'm also an M owner :D

PFT57FV.jpg

Forms in

5Qyn557.jpg

Walls poured, and plumbing in

kKwoRmX.jpg

Pool shaped and vermiculited

V8YMrAE.jpg

Unfortunately they hit my electrical feed to the house while digging a trench back to the filter site. The markout company failed to mark out the line.

I need to decide on a cover. Since the patio isn't in, I'll probably go with a tarp for this year.

Moving along! NICE!

:shock: on the hit line and what a line to hit!!!!!!! How in the world did the mark out people miss THAT one???????? gurrrrrrrr At least it is not YOUR fault so they have to pay for it to be fixed!

Kim:kim:

Moving along! NICE!

:shock: on the hit line and what a line to hit!!!!!!! How in the world did the mark out people miss THAT one???????? gurrrrrrrr At least it is not YOUR fault so they have to pay for it to be fixed!

Kim:kim:
No project is without some drama.
Apparently a previous home owner buried the electrical feed to the house, when it was originally overhead. This created a gray area where PSE&G calls that a private line. In this case the markout company would need to be paid to mark out the private
Line. However they should have alerted the builder that a private line existed and it's not safe to dig.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry to hear about the service. I think we have the same electrical company. The guys were at my house last week when they told me they had to go right from my house to do an emergency 400 amp service that the pool co hit. Did they work all night? Your pool design looks great.

Sorry to hear about the service. I think we have the same electrical company. The guys were at my house last week when they told me they had to go right from my house to do an emergency 400 amp service that the pool co hit. Did they work all night? Your pool design looks great.

Bethel? That is too funny. Yes they were there working till around 8:30pm, then had to come back the following morning to finish.

Thanks!

Nice to catch back up to this thread...went dormant for a while. I always forget how green LI is (compared to living in the desert now...).

My parent's home had an overhead line and they considered burying it at one point for aesthetic reasons but the cost was too high. It was less than hundred feet from the street pole to the meter on the side of the house but it ran right overhead of the septic tank and would have required a trench with lots of zigs and zags in it to avoid the septic tank and easements with the neighbors...just not worth the $$$, so they refinished the basement instead.

Looking good though! And the poured concrete walls will last forever (I'm glad you chose that over steel walls).

Good luck on the finish!!

Nice to catch back up to this thread...went dormant for a while. I always forget how green LI is (compared to living in the desert now...).

My parent's home had an overhead line and they considered burying it at one point for aesthetic reasons but the cost was too high. It was less than hundred feet from the street pole to the meter on the side of the house but it ran right overhead of the septic tank and would have required a trench with lots of zigs and zags in it to avoid the septic tank and easements with the neighbors...just not worth the $$$, so they refinished the basement instead.

Looking good though! And the poured concrete walls will last forever (I'm glad you chose that over steel walls).

Good luck on the finish!!

Yeah, it's actually quite overgrown..lots of trees down every storm. I lose power quite often.
image-1100.jpg

My house is in the top right, wooded area. I enjoy the AZ landscape, when I visit friends every few years.

Concrete was a no brainer, given it was the same cost. I just had to find a concrete builder I liked.

Yes, Bethel. They did a great job for us. When I heard they hit the line I said UGH! Never knowing it was a someone from TFP's. Well I'm glad it worked out. Pool and back yard look great. Best of luck and enjoy. You should be ready for a great summer!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.