Hoping to get a pool in the next few months!

Jg, very nice geometric design! I love clean lines :)

I'm sure you have thought about so many details of this project already and you have you wants and needs, but as a short person, 5'4"(avarege!) I can only stand/walk around comfortably at about 41/2 feet deep at the most, with such a nice size pool I think if this was my pool I'd be hanging around the steps with my girl friends and kids, but if you are all really tall then I could see more of the pool area getting the more use. Think about how much of the area you'd have people standing in when you and guests are in the pool, maybe use a tape and measure what would feel comfortable to you and your wife... I say that because my pool is only 5' at the deepest and I love using all of it, I can put a volley ball net and have people on both sides, me on the shallow LOL
Now, my opinion on the spa is, again I have a 7x8 spa, I wanted it to be 6x6 and my husband wanted it bigger to fit more people in it... I told him a larger spa will take longer to heat up and cost more to do so. We went with the large spa, while a large spa is beautiful and we can have a party in it, He admitted we could have been fine with a smaller one since it's just him and I in it most times, and it can takes hours to heat up if the water is really cold...

In the end both are just taste really, but think about how you'll get the most for your investment. You will love it whatever you do :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indigo,

All great points thanks for your input! I think I will definitely take the spa size and depth in consideration. With our last spa my wife and I found that even though it was just the two of us that originally climbed in once our kids caught wind of the spa being hot we were overrun!

Just a note on that drawing . . . Use decimal feet (engineer scale) or feet and inches (english scale). Decimal inches doesn't work for anyone and is confusing to field personnel. Metric works well also if everyone is on the same page with it.

your design is similar to ours, we'll hopefully pull the trigger on our build later this year. big decision is the deep end, deep for diving or shallow for volleyball etc.

I will be watching with interest on what you end up doing, here's our design so far, just my own drawing and pool studio effort.... input is welcomed....

22pm9.jpg

2h5ivm0.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was thinking about doing a pool like yours with the spa towards the house but my concern was blocking the view of the pool because I wanted a raised bond beam and raised spa... My friends spa is level with the pool and there is no comfortable way to have a conversation with someone inside the spa. It seems that you always feel like you have to squat down to be more on their level.

I was thinking about doing a pool like yours with the spa towards the house but my concern was blocking the view of the pool because I wanted a raised bond beam and raised spa... My friends spa is level with the pool and there is no comfortable way to have a conversation with someone inside the spa. It seems that you always feel like you have to squat down to be more on their level.

On the spa location, its a 50/50.

our last home had the spa at the far side of the pool and it was nice looking at the water fall from the spa to the pool.

But here's why we are looking at the "spa near house" thing next time:

1. "the walk" getting from spa to house on a chilly evening is no fun at all, more distance = less fun.

2. "view" our current home has one of the rare views in katy, texas, overlooking a golf course to the rear. we plan on a 12" raised spa with an infinity edge cascading into the pool on two sides, sitting in there looking to the golf course will be sweet.

3. we plan on a natural gas fire pit next to the spa, less of a gas line run if close to house.

- - - Updated - - -

ibreslin,

Is it actually a shallow step I was thinking about... Being the shelf is approximately 14" deep I was thinking of that small area being about 6" deep?
View attachment 46254

You may find that indent will cost some major $$$ vs no indent and just adding a 12" wide 6" deep step along the length of the shelf in that same spot.

same deal at the other end, just add a seat without the indent.

I didn't think that the notch would cost much, I will ask the PB what kind of difference it is... Not to mention a standard pool cover will fit better with no notch...
View attachment 46280

...and the other notch on the other end! lol, i just don't see the need for it.

you may find that plenty junk that will gather in there, little eddy currents swirling about with leaves and stuff.

which modeling software are you using?

pool cover wise, not sure how that will work with the raised wall anyway.

I just had the notches because the PB had them in his original sketches and included in the original price, and I liked the way they broke up the pure rectangle...
Then I wanted to move the pool more to the right and make the shelf larger while moving the fire pit towards the house.
This would make the entertainment area in front of the kitchen and dining rooms as compared to spread across the yard. This also moves all of the activity away from my kids windows...
Here is his sketch...
SmallSizeRender.jpg
Here is a view from the Kitchen/Dining room before we got the house.
From Kitchen.jpg
My quick sketch was done in SolidWorks.

I just had the notches because the PB had them in his original sketches and included in the original price, and I liked the way they broke up the pure rectangle...
Then I wanted to move the pool more to the right and make the shelf larger while moving the fire pit towards the house.
This would make the entertainment area in front of the kitchen and dining rooms as compared to spread across the yard. This also moves all of the activity away from my kids windows...
]
My quick sketch was done in SolidWorks.

i suppose the notch at the other end does provide some sort of symmetry with the spa. I like the fire pit at the spa end too, we plan on ours being right next to the spa to provide heat to a siting area and to the people in the spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.