Spring Texas, Construction Progress

Re: Spring Texas, Selecting a pool builder, design, and equipment---help please!

I think the two colored LEDs will be MUCH more enjoyable than the three white LED lamps. I have two colored LED lights in my pool. There is enough light, and the colors are fun. I never turn them to the white color mode.

Since you also have the moss rock design, I would add a jump rock on the right if possible, next to the deck/moss rock transition, especially if you have young kids that will be swimming. The extra height is fun, and losing the 4-9 square feet of deck may pay for the rock. It also makes for a more natural transition, at least to me.

Lastly, I REALLY recommend falling water and the resulting splashy noises somewhere. I don't use mine often (separate pump), but sometimes, sometimes, the noise is very tranquil and well worth it. This was my mother-in-law's favorite feature of our pool.

When you refer to falling water...are you meaning a water fall. I am planning for that with the moss rock. I want to make sure I'm not missing some other important water feature. In terms of the jump rock. I was thinking that the kids can jump off of the water fall and the jump rock might be redundant. Does the jump rock really make a difference?

- - - Updated - - -

Those prices are great. Pool #2 is the deal.

We're in Spring too. If you want to see relative deck area or anything else you are quite welcome to come look. PM me.
Thank you! I just might take you up on that. I am in the process of moving. I'll reach out to you once I get on the other side of this move! :thumleft:

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that this is the spirit of (and maybe even the actual intent of) the forum rules. PB's should receive a shout out for jobs well done.

But clearly we should avoid any negative comments about Named PB's like the plague.
Got it! Makes sense to me!

Re: Spring Texas, Selecting a pool builder, design, and equipment---help please!

They look awesome! Pool 2 has way more Value imo

I know you said the budget was $45k, but these things I would consider (along with the other great comments):
Sand Filter and save a few hundred
Eliminate the "polaris 280 with PB4-60 booster pump" and spend the few hundred more for a Robot now(save on electric), or do like me and end up with both :(
Chlorine via SWG
Easytouch Automation

Some comments on water depth. We found that 3-1/2' is too shallow and would start our next pool at 4'. Use a tape measure to see where 3-1/2' of depth is on everyone in your house. Also, 6' is too deep, only Lebron and Dirk can stand up in it and you still can't really dive into it. We are really happy with the 4'-5'-4' profile in our pool. It allows everyone to find a place to stand up and people can spread out all around the pool.

Benches, aka swim outs. More is better, spread out all around the pool. Kids love to play, stand, jump, throw stuff on/from them. And adults love to sit on them and sip tasty beverages.

Another tip if you haven't found them is that many of us have a link to our pool build threads in our signature. So, you can go look at lots of pool builds!

When you refer to falling water...are you meaning a water fall. I am planning for that with the moss rock. I want to make sure I'm not missing some other important water feature. In terms of the jump rock. I was thinking that the kids can jump off of the water fall and the jump rock might be redundant. Does the jump rock really make a difference?

I thought the first PB did not include a waterfall and so I was just trying to help steer you towards having one... What I like about our jump rock is it is easy/safe to step onto from the deck (I gotta help my pre-teen kids stay safe).

FYI: The Pentair/Sta-Rite VS pump has built-in freeze protection. Pump needs to be wired directly to the breaker and schedules entered on the pump itself. Will save you from buying a dual timer as mentioned above by Divin Dave.

The waterfall is also a very functional element of the pool.
I use mine to cool my pool water.
On cooler nights in summer I will run the waterfall between 3 and 6am.
Depending on air temp this can drop my water temp by up to 4 degrees.

The waterfall is also a very functional element of the pool.
I use mine to cool my pool water.
On cooler nights in summer I will run the waterfall between 3 and 6am.
Depending on air temp this can drop my water temp by up to 4 degrees.
Wow, that sounds like a great tip...I wouldn't have thought of that!

- - - Updated - - -

FYI: The Pentair/Sta-Rite VS pump has built-in freeze protection. Pump needs to be wired directly to the breaker and schedules entered on the pump itself. Will save you from buying a dual timer as mentioned above by Divin Dave.
Taking lots of notes...thank you! I think I am getting close to selecting a builder. Will definitely run these options by them!

I would not do anything less than a VS pump. A VS Pump is an absolute MUST!!!!!! Your rock waterfall and weeping wall may be able to run off a waterfall pump which would save cost and energy. I went with a seperate Pentair 1hp whisperflo to run water features and it is good but there is nothing "whisper" about a whisperflo pump. I will upgrade to a second VS next year. For the lighting on design # 2. I would suggest 2 Pentair intelibrites in the main body and 1 globrite in the tanning shelf. or a total of 4 globrites with one in the tanning shelf. (check out the shape of my build and my lighting Signed contract last night, deposit paid!!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I think I am a couple days out from choosing my pool builder. I have been recommended to add an auto fill mechanism. Any opinions on the need for this! Will post pics of the yard next week!

Auto fill and overflow are mandatory for every pool I own from now on, along with SWG. :) It makes water level a non-issue. No remembering to put the hose in to fill it, remembering to turn it off, figuring how to back wash or otherwise lower your pool level. BTW, your skimmers don't work when the water level is too high and all the stuff in the skimmer goes back into the pool. An overflow will keep the water at the correct level.

Ya but when auto fills break when you also have the overflow drain you don't realize it til you get a $500 water bill... It's a double edge sword... With the skimmers now they put a hole thru the plaster at the bottom of your skimmer that is also connected to your skimmer just in case it drops below skimmer lv so that way you don't burn up your pumps... I would suggest that feature with the overflow drain.

We did have a leak develop once in the last 4 years and the water bill was about $100 extra. Otherwise, no issues. I'll trade a 100 water bill for 4 years of trouble free water level. :)

We did have a leak develop once in the last 4 years and the water bill was about $100 extra. Otherwise, no issues. I'll trade a 100 water bill for 4 years of trouble free water level. :)

I am so happy I am on this site, so many good perspectives to consider! :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Ya but when auto fills break when you also have the overflow drain you don't realize it til you get a $500 water bill... It's a double edge sword... With the skimmers now they put a hole thru the plaster at the bottom of your skimmer that is also connected to your skimmer just in case it drops below skimmer lv so that way you don't burn up your pumps... I would suggest that feature with the overflow drain.

Is there a way to notice that the water is filling when it shouldn't be?

I'm matters where your overflow drain, drains out to. If it drain goes to your street then on a dry day you'll see water coming out to your street and it never stops looks like water is always coming out everyday.

Right, if the aufo-fill malfunctions and fills continuously then you might notice that the overflow is constantly dripping if it is in view, ours is. In my case with a leak from a crack in the plaster there is no way to know. The auto-fill fills the pool at such a low rate that it is almost always running. So, you can hear the water running (similar to hearing the toilet fill) virtually all the time if you remove the lid on the auto-fill can or get close enough to it. I'm not sure it could move enough water through it to achieve a $500 water bill.

Mine isn't really "auto" fill. It's a pipe that goes from the hose bib underground to the side of the pool, but you have to manually turn it on and off. No hoses, so it's nice, but I still have to turn it off and on.

I have autofill and my overflow goes out behind my waterfall so I would notice it being wet back there if I had a malfunction.

Re: Spring Texas, Contract Signed! Will still need advice along the way!

Some comments on water depth. We found that 3-1/2' is too shallow and would start our next pool at 4'. Use a tape measure to see where 3-1/2' of depth is on everyone in your house. Also, 6' is too deep, only Lebron and Dirk can stand up in it and you still can't really dive into it. We are really happy with the 4'-5'-4' profile in our pool. It allows everyone to find a place to stand up and people can spread out all around the pool.

Benches, aka swim outs. More is better, spread out all around the pool. Kids love to play, stand, jump, throw stuff on/from them. And adults love to sit on them and sip tasty beverages.

Another tip if you haven't found them is that many of us have a link to our pool build threads in our signature. So, you can go look at lots of pool builds!
Thanks for this advice! Just added an extended second step for more interior seating!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for this education on auto fill! I went ahead and added it because my pool builder through it in for free!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.