110v vs 220v for pool pump.

Will a 220v 1HP use the same watts per hour as a 110v 1HP?
Note that you don't say watts per hour.

Watts is energy used per unit of time.

Watts ÷ 1,000 is kilowatts.

The power company charges for total energy used.

Total energy used is kilowatts x hours. So, the power company bills for total kilowatthours.

A pump that uses 1,000 watts uses 1 kilowatt. Every hour that it runs adds another kilowatthour.

1 watt is 1 joule per second.

Energy can be measured in multiple different units. Such as, joules, calories, btu etc.

Power is the amount of energy used per unit of time.

Well, I think this whole string of responses confused us newbies even more than when the question was originally posted. My pump is already wired for 220V and I'm not an electrician so I'm not going to touch a thing...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The simple point is that changing the voltage of the pump does not change the energy use of the pump.

The only difference between a 220v motor and a 110v motor is how the wires connected to it are setup.

There is zero reason a pump motor will be any more or less reliable based solely on the voltage its running at.

Not a teacher just an engineer with a couple decades of experience operating and maintaining all forms of power generation equipment.

Reactions: jdolotina
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.