Feel a tiny bit of static electricity when removing Kreepy Krawly

I think anytime that anyone feels electricity around a pool there is reason to be concerned.
I assume this is the first time its happened?

Were you grabbing the cleaner body when you felt it, or were you grabbing the cord?
Have you inspected the cord for any nicks or cuts?

Any visible sign of damage where the cord goes into the cleaner?

Yes, but it just happened again when I checked to
see if it was the cord.
No visible cord damage.

Yikes. It happens when the tip of
my finger touches the water.
Very slight but definitely there.

thanks Dave

I think anytime that anyone feels electricity around a pool there is reason to be concerned.
I assume this is the first time its happened?

Were you grabbing the cleaner body when you felt it, or were you grabbing the cord?
Have you inspected the cord for any nicks or cuts?

Any visible sign of damage where the cord goes into the cleaner?

I would turn off the breaker to that outlet and see if it repeats.

If it happens when the breaker is off then turn off the house main and see if it repeats.

Once its not repeating remove the cleaner from the pool.

How old is your pool?

The pool may not be bonded and that may be part of the problem. Bonding distributes the electrical potential so that you don't get shocked. If your pool is not properly bonded, and many old pools are not, then there is a potential for a shock from stray voltage.

once the cleaner is out of the pool I would call an electrician with pool experience. Tell them you have a stray voltage or bonding problem and ask if they have experience with those. It is probably a problem with the cleaner but it could be a sign of something more serious.

If you can't touch the cleaner or the pool without a shock even with the main off call an electrician or your power company now So Cal Edison? . You have a serious stray voltage problem.

I only feel it when the robot is in the pool and running.

seems like must be the cleaner, but whatever it is, I don't like it.

the pool is 8 months old.
Doesn't mean it was done correctly, though.

thanks for input

I would turn off the breaker to that outlet and see if it repeats.

If it happens when the breaker is off then turn off the house main and see if it repeats.

Once its not repeating remove the cleaner from the pool.

How old is your pool?

The pool may not be bonded and that may be part of the problem. Bonding distributes the electrical potential so that you don't get shocked. If your pool is not properly bonded, and many old pools are not, then there is a potential for a shock from stray voltage.

once the cleaner is out of the pool I would call an electrician with pool experience. Tell them you have a stray voltage or bonding problem and ask if they have experience with those. It is probably a problem with the cleaner but it could be a sign of something more serious.

If you can't touch the cleaner or the pool without a shock even with the main off call an electrician or your power company now So Cal Edison? . You have a serious stray voltage problem.

Ok that means you have at least two problems.

1. Your cleaner robot, or something associated with it is leaking electricity.

2. The bonding system of your pool is either incorrectly installed or otherwise compromised.

The pool bonding system is one of the major safety systems in a pool. They are designed to prevent an electrical short or stray current from causing an shock to a human using the pool. The bonding system is designed to prevent any electrical shock.

So you need to call an electrician to figure out why the problem with the robot is not being handled by the bonding system. Its possible the PB failed to install it or didn't install the full system or missed a connection or installed it in such a way its not working. But it needs to be fixed. You should never feel a shock on a pool deck immediately adjacent to the pool.

After i get the bonding system fixed i would send the robot back to the manufacturer for a new one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.