Georgia Pool Build.... FIRED PB need advice please!!!

Re: Owner Build in Georgia :)

Your design is very similar to the one we built last year. We put two led bubblers on the sunshelf and two led laminar deck jets. The deckjets are never used and was a waste. I think if I had four jets together it may have looked nice but having two at opposite sides didn't work out too well. The bubblers on the sunshelf I keep on a lot because I like the way it sounds and looks.

Two things I'll point out. If you put a basketball hoop on the deck in the middle of the shallow end you won't have much room on the side with the steps and it will affect the game. And if you want a volleyball net you will want to put it on the deck right before the sunshelf starts, but you might not have enough room in the shallow end to play. If I was building your pool I would forgo the four deckjets which may be as much as four thousand five hundred if I remember correctly how much my builder was charging) and enlarge and widen the pool so basketball and volleyball will be better. My kids and I play those games all the time and I suspect your kids will appreciate a wider pool much more than four deck jets that will probably annoy them more than they will enjoy them.

Your design is very similar to the one we built last year. We put two led bubblers on the sunshelf and two led laminar deck jets. The deckjets are never used and was a waste. I think if I had four jets together it may have looked nice but having two at opposite sides didn't work out too well. The bubblers on the sunshelf I keep on a lot because I like the way it sounds and looks.

Two things I'll point out. If you put a basketball hoop on the deck in the middle of the shallow end you won't have much room on the side with the steps and it will affect the game. And if you want a volleyball net you will want to put it on the deck right before the sunshelf starts, but you might not have enough room in the shallow end to play. If I was building your pool I would forgo the four deckjets which may be as much as four thousand five hundred if I remember correctly how much my builder was charging) and enlarge and widen the pool so basketball and volleyball will be better. My kids and I play those games all the time and I suspect your kids will appreciate a wider pool much more than four deck jets that will probably annoy them more than they will enjoy them.

Great advice. I've decided to eliminate one LED bubbler and just have the two as you mentioned. If I use the deck jets at all I'll put them all on the back side of the pool. I've had different people tell me different things. One guy told me they're no big deal and won't cost much to install at all....another acted as though it would be a big expense. $4k for deck jets is WAY too much!!

We definitely plan to get a basketball hoop since that's my son's sport. I think that the volleyball net is out of the question already since we have a retaining wall on the back side of the pool? If digging into our hill won't be a big cost difference then I wouldn't be opposed to another couple of feet width.

Thanks so much for your ideas!

The plumbing design actually looks really good. The only area I can see cutting costs (other than eliminating water features) is the 3" main drain supply. PVC pipe increases in price exponentially as the diameter gets bigger. While I do love 3" pipe, that is very overkill (and expensive) for a main drain that will likely rarely be used. Switching to 2" pipe will save a few hundred dollars and elimating it completely could save up to $1000 or so.

The plumbing design actually looks really good. The only area I can see cutting costs (other than eliminating water features) is the 3" main drain supply. PVC pipe increases in price exponentially as the diameter gets bigger. While I do love 3" pipe, that is very overkill (and expensive) for a main drain that will likely rarely be used. Switching to 2" pipe will save a few hundred dollars and elimating it completely could save up to $1000 or so.

Brian, thank you for checking out my plumbing design. I'll definitely use your advice regarding the 3" pipe. I'm glad to hear that you think it looks good - that makes me feel much better!

Great advice. I've decided to eliminate one LED bubbler and just have the two as you mentioned. If I use the deck jets at all I'll put them all on the back side of the pool. I've had different people tell me different things. One guy told me they're no big deal and won't cost much to install at all....another acted as though it would be a big expense. $4k for deck jets is WAY too much!!

We definitely plan to get a basketball hoop since that's my son's sport. I think that the volleyball net is out of the question already since we have a retaining wall on the back side of the pool? If digging into our hill won't be a big cost difference then I wouldn't be opposed to another couple of feet width.

Thanks so much for your ideas!

I don't have a clear picture in my mind of how your retaining wall is so don't have an opinion whether volleyball will work. We got ours from SR Smith and needed to dig about six inches down to put the pole in. If you change to two bubblers you might want to out both of them on the same vertical line (see your diagram showing the arrow depicting eight feet six inches). That way I think you will maximize the area for your lounge chairs on the Sunshelf. The lounge chairs can't go on top of the bubbler so putting the bubblers where you show then seems to limit your placement of the lounge chairs. By putting them on a vertical line on the middle of the sunshelf I think will work best

RE: plumbing desgn

Ditto on the 3". It is way overkill. Also, 2.5" for a return is overkill (unless all returns come off the one line - then it may be undersized), and in my area, even the plumbing supply houses don't carry much 2.5" stuff. I have 1 pool with it on there, and I have to special order parts from my supply houses for it. It's a major pain.

If I were bidding the job, I would suggest that all skimmers/returns etc. be 2" just to cut down on the variety of parts needed. If you design your pad correctly, and your valves, you can keep all the flow and significantly reduce the different unions/tees/elbows/couplers necessary and make it much easier on the plumber.

EDIT: Also - your pump and filter are set for 2" pipe as well. Just looked at that. Finally, make sure that you have an anode somewhere attached to the bonding system!!

I met with a pool contractor today since finding my own subs has proven difficult at this busy time of year. He thought that he could complete the pool within my budget by making it 17.5 x 36', adding the heater later, making the LED bubblers non-LED bubblers and downgrading the pumps. He said that with two separate pumps that he could use just a 1HP pump for the pool itself and the 2HP for the slide. I've read on here to spend the money and go with the bigger pump. He thinks that the plumbing is more important. Any suggestions???

I may still go the O/B route and just complete the pool later in the pool season. Decisions!

Sheree,

With an SWG you DO NOT want a single-speed pump. It will be a massive waste of electricity. SWGs only generate chlorine when the pump is running so in order to do that your single speed pump will be running a lot.

At the very least you want a 2-speed pump where the horsepower is high enough such that the SWG can be run on the low speed.

And, in my opinion, while this is probably NOT what you want to hear, I'd wait until the slow season and do the O/B route when the subs are hungry for work. That way, you might get better pricing and you'll likely get more of what you want.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Sheree,

With an SWG you DO NOT want a single-speed pump. It will be a massive waste of electricity. SWGs only generate chlorine when the pump is running so in order to do that your single speed pump will be running a lot.

At the very least you want a 2-speed pump where the horsepower is high enough such that the SWG can be run on the low speed.

Good to know....I was REALLY surprised when he mentioned not getting a variable speed pump.

Re: Georgia Pool Build.... No Longer O/B :)

Update: I found a family owned and ran pool builder with great reviews from past customers. They gave us a REALLY good price so we signed with them last week. Today was the big day and I couldn't be more excited. They're hoping to be done in 5 weeks...even with weather delays we'll be watching fireworks from our pool floats on the 4th of July (the neighbors put on quite a show.)
13116408_1337320736283714_7310050695592153867_o.jpg
13147710_1341004945915293_2840709741914283155_o.jpg

Congrats Sheree!!

Is that a double-grille in the picture or a smoker? There are A LOT of outdoor cooking nerds here on TFP (I count myself amount them), so please do share any wonderful cooking secrets you might have....

Congrats Sheree!!

Is that a double-grille in the picture or a smoker? There are A LOT of outdoor cooking nerds here on TFP (I count myself amount them), so please do share any wonderful cooking secrets you might have....
That's a dual gas and charcoal grill (with smoker attachment). Hubby is allergic to cooking indoors ;)

I do prepare much of the food for the grill though, so I have a few secrets worth sharing... we cook grilled corn by wrapping it in foil with butter and seasoning (parsley, salt, pepper typically) in the foil too.
I love to grill with foil....we do a lot of seafood packets with things like potato, fish, lemon slices, butter, shrimp, clams etc....
I also like charcoal grilled chicken/shrimp and pineapple slices with balsalmic glaze.

The only thing I like more then cooking is eating haha!

Good news! Congrats!

Primo XL all the way! Is that just pure sand? Wow, never seen that before.

I think I was just as shocked as the builder! Georgia is known for red clay and my neighborhood is known for serious rock. EVERYONE warned us that we'd hit rock and it'd cost a small fortune. It really is just like sand though. Deep end is done and no rock at all. I'm so relieved that I just may have to order my ledge lounge chairs to celebrate!!

Sheree- Congratulations!!! Wow! 5 weeks?!? You'll be finished before me!! You absolutely should celebrate with ledge loungers!! I'm excited to watch your progress!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.