SWG Chlorine Production

Henry M

Silver Supporter
Oct 7, 2015
Coral Springs, Florida
Had a Hayward AQR15 installed in September 2015. I've read the Pool School information thoroughly, and using the TFTest Kit, have kept salt, and chemical stuff within acceptable range. The beginning Desired Output was set by installers at 70%, that being normal for south Florida, they said. After 48 hours, the FC reached 14 ppm. Upon the advice of the dealer, I shut it off for 10 days, waited for the FC to come down to about 5 ppm. At that time, I checked the salt, balanced the chemicals, turned unit on, but reset Desired Output to 60%. Within 24 hours, the FC was, again, 14 ppm. Between that time, and the present, I've incrementally lowered the Desired Output setting until now I'm at 10%. Each time, after the FC ppm reached about 4 ppm, I checked the the water chemistry & salt to be sure all was within range. No matter what, the FC reached abut 14 ppm within 24 hours.

I've a variable speed pump that runs 24 hours at three different rpm, but it is always on. I'm at a loss. Advice most welcome!

First, is the SWG on all the time with the pump?

Second, why so much pump time?

Most pools in South Florida are inside a screen enclosure. Is yours?

Instead of "within acceptable range", we really would like to see your test results.

You should be able to cut that pump time down to 7 - 8 hours a day. With the savings from what you would normally send to "Florida Flicker & Flash" you can stop by Wings & Ale (4685 N University Dr) for a pitcher & some wings.

Have tried, for the past several months, all that you've so kindly suggested. Pump time reduced to 8 hours a day, at 3 different rpms. Pool is screened enclosed. When pump is on, SWG is set to 20%. Latest chemistry (3/25/2016) using the TF100 kit: FC:9.0 ppm; CH:300; TA:130; CYA: 40. And tim5055: How do you know about Wings & Ale? It's about 4 miles from our home.

Henry,

I would suggest your raise your CYA level to 70-80 and you may even be able to decrease percentage and/or run time even more. The CYA level or 70-80 is recommended for a SWG.

You might still have too much SWCG run time. I run my SWCG just short of 3 hours a day at 50% and it's still a little too much. I try to think of it in terms of operating time. 180 min operating X 50% output = 90 full minutes of generation. Still, I have to vary it with bather load, water temp, CYA, etc. It's going to move around some. Whoever told you to just run it at 70% should never be allowed near your pool again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
many thanks to all of you!! In an effort to raise the CYA, I've upset the pH levels, so have just added some boraxo (about 1 lb.) in an attempt to lower it.

- - - Updated - - -

Well . . . next time we go there, I shall have a pint for you!!

Boraxo is powdered hand soap which contains both borax and fatty acid emulsifiers. You should NOT put that in your pool.

You want to use ONLY 20 Mule Team Borax

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.