First Attempt

Hey Hawk,

It will be interesting to compare notes on Shopmate vs Direct shipping from store.
I paid $55 for express shipping (3-5 business days) and its on track for 5 days, but took the store 2 business days to process the order so I'm not sure the express shipping was worth it, but we'll see !

Let me know how you get on !

I'm also interested to hear how you find the TF-100, that's the one I initially picked, but I went for the Taylors because the shipping seemed easier - From what I can tell from reading on here, I think both are brilliant kits so I'm sure we'll be fine - you just get the OTO test that I don't !!

Sal

FYI - Had to go to the pool shop today to buy a new diaphragm for my Barracuda cleaner so thought I'd get a water test done at the same time, just for fun.

For the first time in 5 years of having a pool, after a couple of short weeks on here, I actually understood the readings from the pool shop and knew what to look for. Had an amusing discussion with them about CYA too :)

Thanks to all here, it really is possible to start to get your head around the basics of pool chemistry with a lot of reading and a couple of judicious questions.

I questioned the pool shop about their recommended chlorine level and not considering the CYA level. There words were"it doesn't really matter, just add some of this potion. ". Thank you TFP. In just a couple of,months I have saved hundreds of dollars.

And what are THEIR thoughts on CYA??? I bet it was fun this time with you knowing so much about the truth of a balanced pool.

Ha! The CYA reading I got at the shop was 24 (vaguely in line with what my strips are telling me, so the strips aren't completely useless). I asked about this reading and they told me it was perfect, that's exactly where we like to see it - he said. He said if it gets too high then you start to have chemistry problems. I didn't bother arguing ! The recommended range on their printout is 30 - 100 interestingly, mine was below their recommended minimum, but he still told me it was perfect !

Marian - No, I haven't opened the filter yet, but it is on my list. My immediate problem is that I have a top-mounted MPV and so opening the filter means disconnecting the inlet and outlet pipes and there are no unions fitted (the guy I bought this house from did a lot of things himself and very few of them well) and so I'm gonna have to cut pipe and ideally fit unions and do it properly, just to get to have a look inside so that needs a bit more planning.

Actually, I should post a photo here of the setup of my pumps and pipework - you guys will cringe ! My grand plan is to pull it all out and do it again, because its almost unusable the way it is.

My Taylors kit has cleared customs now and is sitting in the delivery facility so I'm expecting it tomorrow - yay !

No, I haven't opened the filter yet, but it is on my list. My immediate problem is that I have a top-mounted MPV and so opening the filter means disconnecting the inlet and outlet pipes and there are no unions fitted (the guy I bought this house from did a lot of things himself and very few of them well) and so I'm gonna have to cut pipe and ideally fit unions and do it properly, just to get to have a look inside so that needs a bit more planning.
The big issue to me is that means that filter has NEVER been opened so you are flying blind. Bite the bullet and get your filter up to par so you can stop guessing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree Dave, I need to get in there and have a look.

I assume I should line up access to a spare spider gasket and laterals, and possibly O rings, depending on what I find when I get in there.

Good news - DHL are delivering on Sunday this weekend and my new kit is on its way to me today !

Pool water is looking much better now Marian.
I vacuumed to waste over the weekend and that's got rid off all the problematic dust. Obviously I had to top up after each session so I've got a bit of work to do to rebalance.
I may still have issues with the filter and I'm certainly going to open it up and check that out as well, now that I've been reading a lot about laterals and watching You tube vids I've got some idea of what to expect!

Luckily my new Taylors 2006C kit arrived yesterday (Sunday) via DHL - ironically delivered by my neighbour who is a DHL driver !!
Very nice kit it is too and I'm planning to try it out after work today. Took the booklet with me to read on the train as well - even that is very well put together and is a great learning aid as well.

For those who are watching this thread for delivery information - I was very happy with my order. 8 days from order to delivery, half way around the world, tracked all the way via DHL online tracking and delivered on Sunday (that's just due to Christmas though). I thoroughly recommend PoolVacParts and the Taylors kit for efficient order processing and delivery to Aus. Looking forward to hearing how Hawknz goes with his TF-100 - another great kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.