Mottling

As is the case with most pool building companies, a lot of the build is by the PBs usual sub-contractors. This is especially the case with application of the pool finish. This helps the odds that your PB and his sub will get together and provide you with the finish that you expected.

But the PB's reference to the plaster sub warranting his work should not be taken to mean you are the party to whom that sub will be making good on his plaster warranty. Your PB is the only one accountable to you for a defective plaster install - be it by virtue of what the PB did in dumping the chems or because of the sub's poor workmanship (and/or defective materials). In sum, your beef is with the PB only, not his subs; consequently do not let yourself get interjected into an issue that is strictly between the PB and his sub.

With most reputable and customer service oriented PBs, a good working history and relationship exists with his subs. So as I said at the outset of this post, this reduces the chances that the PB and the plaster sub will be in each other's face as to who is responsible to bear the cost - particularly if the entire plaster has to be removed and redone.

My suggestion is to not weigh in on the cause of that bottom bleached out patch at the outset; or the mottling for that matter. Wait until the PB and his sub have evaluated the situation and approached you with what is to be done about the situation. If, at that time, it appears that the resolution proposed is not to your satisfaction, or if you have your doubts about the proposed fix, you would then want to press your right to have the PB provide you with what you bargained for: a defect free plaster finish. It would be then that I would be stressing that the chem dump is the most logical explanation for that bleached area.

Moreover, you are entitled to have it properly fixed. If the proposed fix is to patch it, you might want to resist this. IMO, a complete pool finish tear out and replacement is required if that bottom area is as badly bleached as it looks. An exact plaster match is virtually impossible and prone to cracking at the edges of the patch if he plans top demo out and replaste just that area. I believe this will be coororbated if you can obtain another plaster's opinion about this (highly recommended).

Wishing you the best for an uneventful and timely resolution to this matter.

They've decided to let it cure for the 28 days then give it a light acid wash. The lighter sections are actually darkening up some but where the bottom meets the walls still looks pretty bad. The section in the deep end is still really dark from when they put the acid there to darken it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2a50bb7482a9d5c85d6adb7960f5765a.jpg

That looks HORRIBLE! I would demand a redo after 28 days. You don't pay thousands of dollars for a beautiful pool to look at that BLOB on the bottom of the pool.

Just :pale::thumbdown:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Haven't made last payment. They are supposed to work on the deep end where they put the chemicals in during fill.

Last payment looks like it is being with held Marla. I'd definitely not give anything until this is fixed. It's you're only leverage.

Last payment has not been made. Plaster company was onsite Monday to take a look and decided that they would try the acid wash. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks so we will have to wait another week until anything else happens. I will post a recent pic when I get home today.

Remember Kim is on EST so she's probably asleep by now!

The Kim (Onbalance) I was referring to is on PST!

EST Kim would say hugs, but since she's not here, HUGS!

Hugs for sure! Thanks for helping out Marian!

Kim (I was wondering what I did or did not do or what I was missing! I forgot onbalance was also named Kim)

The color of that discoloration in your first photo (about two weeks ago) appears to be whitish, but now it appears to be a darker gray color than the plaster.
Which is it? But indeed, that is a serious discoloration.

There is a good chance that the PB can remove that discoloration by performing an acid wash. But I think you should request that they sand and/or polish that area (after the acid treatment) to make sure it is smooth again and not etched. That will help avoid future discolorations of that area. If that area is rough and etched, then dirt can easily stick there and become unsightly.

Try to find out what the original chemical or product was placed at the bottom during filling, and then what chemical they poured down the tube recently. My guess is that they poured acid down the tube.
This is interesting, but very unfortunate to have happened.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.