Insurance

MikeInTN said:
ideliver said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
We purchased a $1Mil Umbrella policy, for our own piece of mind. Americans are lawsuit crazy...I wouldn't take a chance.

+1...mine is $125/yr...

In our town, we fairly famous premises liability lawsuit and trial about 10 years back...a family goes on vacation with an IG pool and a 6 foot locked fence...the neighbor teenage and his friends jump the fence and he dives in an fractures C5/C6 and is a quadriplegic...10 million dollar jury verdict...the family filed bankruptcy and lost their home...

Please tell your insurance company :goodjob:

Stories like this just boil my blood. I feel for the teenager ending up as a quadriplegic, but a family lost everything because of his criminal action and sheer stupidity. One of the many things wrong with this country of ours - no one is held accountable for their actions anymore. It's always "someone else's fault"... :grrrr: :grrrr: :grrrr:

OK, off my soapbox now..back to your regular programming.

No need to get off, I am standing on it with you........

I have an inground pool and I was required to have the 6ft fence surrounding it. I belive that going the "legal" route (builder's permit, etc.) brought that about. When I had the pool installed, I chose to include the automatice pool safety cover as well. My insurance man didnt care, said its automatically covered under my current homeowners policy. Even though I now have the fence with locked gates and the added protection of my automatic safety cover, I still do not invite neighbors over for a swim, fearing frivolous law suits. Like someone else said, America is "lawsuit crazy". However, i have noticed that homeowners (in my area) with AG pools mostly do NOT have any type of security measures in place. They have no fences, nor do they have the pool ladders raised, etc. I don't understand the difference between the safety requirements of an IG pool vs those of the AG pools.

The safety requirements are the same or similar, but (a) it's up to the codes department to enforce the codes when the pool's installed, and (b) up to the owner to follow the requirements after the pool's installed. AFAIK, the only pools that get inspected on a regular basis are public pools; private pools are the responsibility of the owner.

The building permit for our pool required a 5 foot fence, and autoclose gates for any walkway people would use to get to and from the pool. We also had to alarm the walkout basement door since we use the back of the house as part of our "fence". Thats all state law. In order to close out the building permit, this all had to be inspected. Now, i guess you could not do it and just leave the permit open, but at some point, the town would figure it out and come a callin!

We let certain neighbors use the pool, but only when we are there of course. I wont go as far as keeping everyone out. kinda defeats the purpose, IMO, of putting one in if you cant have your neighbors over or your kids friends. I have a big umbrella policy. I guess the way i feel is you cant hide under the bed in fear. :lol:

I was just so curious about the $10 mil lawsuit remark, I googled it...

found this thread
http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache...eligic+swimming+pool&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I need to get some new warning labels for my pool.

On there is the case of the "adult male" who drank 5 beers, smoked pot, dove into an 3.5 ft deep AG pool and broke his neck, and we was awarded $12 million because the pool didn't have adequate warning labels.... :shock:

frustratedpoolmom said:
I was just so curious about the $10 mil lawsuit remark, I googled it...

found this thread
http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache...eligic+swimming+pool&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I need to get some new warning labels for my pool.

On there is the case of the "adult male" who drank 5 beers, smoked pot, dove into an 3.5 ft deep AG pool and broke his neck, and we was awarded $12 million because the pool didn't have adequate warning labels.... :shock:
My new pool has some that came with it they do not say where you should put them thou.
There are four little ones and one real big one.

Was there any manuals or paperwork that came with the pool? My manual had a diagram showing where to install the labels. One came off 2 years ago, the big one that went on top of the top rail, and the others are 2 inches tall by 3 feet wide and go on the inside of the top rail, just above the waterline. (These have faded from the sun, just an inexpensive sealed paper).

Look for like an area that is recessed like a label would fit in it....?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.