Newbie with cloudy pool - Test results are here

You don't really need to do the cartridge filter every day, but make sure you give it a very thorough cleaning then note the pressure when you start it back up and things get equilibrated again. Once it rises 25% above that pressure you know it needs a cleaning, assuming your pressure gauge is working. Doesn't hurt to inspect the filter daily during a SLAM though. Cartridge filters are VERY good at filtration so sometimes they can build up dead algae quickly during a SLAM.

Yeah, my cartridge filter would build up algae within a couple of hours of cleaning it. Filters almost too good for an algae bloom!

Sure is :grin:

Re-test this morning: FC 25, CC <0.5 (couldn't tell me if it turned pink or not, was very, very light in any case so assuming very little CC)
I'm running low on R-0871 so just testing once a day. FC went down from 28 yesterday morning until now. (I'm thinking maybe CYA was 70 and my eyes were tricking me into thinking it was 60. So I am maintaining shock level for CYA 70 just as a precaution.)

I tested this morning with a 5ml sample.
FC 27
CC 1 (very faint pink color so hopefully less than 0.5)
Water looks great. There were a few spots where I brushed up a plume of something. Hopefully this is dead algae.
I'll do an OCLT overnight. Fingers crossed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Way to go calgal. :goodjob: Hopefully now you can see that managing the water on your own IS possible, and soon you'll have the SLAM process under your belt. Stick with it and don't slack on that FC until you pass all 3 criteria. After that, it's all about watching your FC every day and enjoying that clear water. :swim: By the way, did I mention it's blistering hot out again today? Woo!

The night of the OCLT!
I'm out of r-0871! Ugh!
I tested last night with a 5ml sample (was running low) and got FC 26 and CC <1. This morning with a 10 ml sample, I got FC 23 and CC 0.5. I was so sad because I wanted to pass!! So I retested with a 5 ml just for kicks. FC 28 and CC <1. Wait what??

And I'm out of R0871 so I can't test again until I get it in the mail! Should I just go get it tested it at *gasp* the pool store?

Hi Calgirl. I'm so sorry you ran out of reagents at such an important spot in your SLAM. No need to waste your time on the pool store testing because lol they've not gotten any more reliable, so I'd recommend just to continue to maintain it at shock level, until your reagents arrive, and then redo the OCLT at that time. The reagents will get there very quickly, and another day or so at shock level, will hopefully get you over that hump and you'll no longer need to question was it a 3ppm overnight drop, or If your pool made itself 2ppm of chlorine overnight, which lol isn't possible.

When your reagents arrive be very accurate on the OCLT, ensuring your using the exactly same amount of water for your testing use a 10ml or 25ml water sample at night and the following morning.- (some people use a syringe or something to do it, but that's not necessary as long as you are sure your water is on the appropriate line), be sure you're holding the dropper completely upside down, not squeezing the vial to force the drops out, ensure you're swirling adequately, etc.

Hang in there Calgirl, you are so close now!!! You're doing a great job!!! Keep it up :).

Thank you for the encouragement guys! Water looks good and the reagent arrived this afternoon!!
I'm having to squeeze the new bigger bottle to get the drops out. Otherwise they just hang there. Maybe it's a new bottle thing. Another oclt. Tested it at 11pm. Fc is 23 and CC is 0 as far as I can tell.

As the pool is clearing, I'm noticing algae/moss on the rocks around the pool. This side doesn't get a lot of Sun even though it's a south facing yard. If I pressure wash, won't all the algae fall in the water? Will I have to start a whole nother SLAM? Or should I spray all rocks with bleach?

Thank you.

You should spray those outside effected areas directly with bleach. Be careful about the wind on your eyes and clothes. Brush any areas you can reach. Powerwash is fine as well, although be careful if your rock areas have mortar so you don't disturb any mortar or grout seals. If some of the residue washes into the pool, hopefully you have already killed it directly with the bleach and/or the existing SLAM levels will continue to do so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.