Pool Renovations in Tucson

I agree with Kim. They were either voids in the original shotcrete, bad aggregate mix or loose chunks. The PB needs to see them and fill them. Why don't you give your PB a call and ask? I'm sure he'll let you know what he plans to do.
I'll contact the PB, thanks. As long as they actually patch it and don't just slap plaster in there I'll be good.

As for tiles, I have no opinion. I find the subject to be too subjective as everyone's tastes are different.
Good point and at the end of the day, the only opinion that matters is the wife's. I think we'll be going with the lighter color. :)

7am and the deck crew just showed up. Four of them here now. I like it.

- Flappy

I'll contact the PB, thanks. As long as they actually patch it and don't just slap plaster in there I'll be good.

I certainly hope fill the large chunks or else the plaster is going to be seriously uneven. Talk to the PB, and ask for his opinion.

Good point and at the end of the day, the only opinion that matters is the wife's. I think we'll be going with the lighter color. :)

As my wife's uncle (a former Navy chaplain who married us) told me, the two most important words a man can learn for a successful marriage are these - "Yes, dear."

7am and the deck crew just showed up. Four of them here now. I like it.

- Flappy

Woohoo!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

image1_zpskuuimjfq.jpg

Making progress on stripping off the old KoolCote. The tile guys showed up too and are working on the quartzite tile for the lagoon.

IMG_0761_zps4wi06w36.jpg

IMG_0762_zpsyjlwvowl.jpg

I really like the look and am glad we went with quartzite for this area. I talked to the PB and they told me the plaster folks will have concrete with them to patch the holes created by the chip out. I'm swinging by their office later for another payment and to finalize the accent tile selection.

- Flappy

Looking good there, Flappy!!

What are doing for coping around the pool after they remove the old KoolKote?

I too really like the look of having stone on the steps. I would worry about it in a northern climate due to it being above the water line for half of the year and subject to the freeze thaw cycle. Would love to have it but would always be nervous. Kept under water constantly would be ideal as it will be for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Huge step in getting it done! NICE!

Kim

Yes and no. I am a getting a little frustrated because the project is running behind and I have yet to get an updated schedule. Unless they provide it in the next few hours, later today I will be asking the PB for the 3rd time. Here are the delays:
  • Inclement weather delayed work by one day
  • Tile cleaning was supposed to happen at the same time as the plaster chip. It did not
  • Deck work was supposed to take two days but it is now on day thee. Quartzite work has been halted and water line cleaning cannot occur since areas are masked off for application of the acrylic

The way I see it, they still need to finish laying the quartzite tile and clean the waterline - that should take one day (I hope). Then we have the shell prepping - another day. Application of the Pebbletec and acid wash - three more. A day to fill.

That adds up to 6 days - three days behind schedule. I have out of town company arriving on 10/22 and hoped renovations would be done by then (PBs knew that). Sigh. :neutral:

- Flappy

Last edited:
The acrylic is done. They did good job but the wife thinks we may have picked out the wrong color as it is very bright and she "needs sunglasses to look at it". I am wondering if it will tone down after it is sealed. One more question for the PB.

Here is a photo:

IMG_0770_zpsdew9bwpw.jpg

Just spoke with the PB. He said that the brightness of the acrylic is the second most common question he gets just behind coloration of the PebbleTec immediately after install. He said the deck will most certainly town down and that I shouldn't be alarmed. More good news is that he thinks we can get back on schedule, weather permitting:

10/16 - Finish the quartzite tile
10/19 - Clean the waterline tile, fill any interior gouges with hydraulic cement, and prep for Pebble install
10/20 - Install interior
10/21 - Fill
10/22 - Startup (if fill is complete).

So, it looks like we will be done on time after all. Note - in a previous post I mentioned family was coming on 10/20. That was incorrect. 10/22 is the date they arrive. :oops:
The PB is back in my good graces. :D

- Flappy

How is your PB going to startup your plaster? I wish he would use the Bicarbonate Startup procedure outlined by TFP's plaster expert, onBalance, but I doubt it. He'll probably just do the acid startup process which is industry standard (read - cheapest and quick). Ask what he plans to do.

Sadly you have to follow his startup procedure if you want the warranty to be binding.

How is your PB going to startup your plaster? I wish he would use the Bicarbonate Startup procedure outlined by TFP's plaster expert, onBalance, but I doubt it. He'll probably just do the acid startup process which is industry standard (read - cheapest and quick). Ask what he plans to do.

Sadly you have to follow his startup procedure if you want the warranty to be binding.

Acid was already mentioned in casual conversation so cheapest and quickest seems the be the plan. Warranty is 10 years.

Yup.

Well, the upside is you get to swim in it right away.

FYI, no salt or SWG for 30 days. So back to jug-dumping for you!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.