Intermatic 300 transformer keeps tripping gfi

Mar 4, 2015
Iowa
I have just hooked up my two hayward color logics to the intermatic 300 watt transformer and the second they flash on the gfi trips. Even when I disconnect the lights it still trips.

I read what is below on a different thread. Is it sake to just use a regular breaker?

Quote Originally Posted by ozark01 View Post
I was just reading 680.23 (8) and it looks like I don't need a GFCI breaker if the transformer is listed and the secondary is 15 volts or less. Is this the case?
Yes, that is what 680.23(A)(8) says.

The GFCI will only protect the primary side of the transformer and the wiring to it. It will do nothing for the secondary side (output) and associated wiring. Knowing this, I am going to suspect that there is a problem with the transformer or the wiring between the control point and the transformer. I don't have my code book here with me today, so I will have to check on the codes tomorrow, but I suspect that you will still need the GFCI for the primary side of the transformer. The <15 volt limit is for the protection on the secondary side if I recall correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.