Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to reduce CH?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to reduce CH?

Is there any magic out there that will remove CH without draining the water? The problem is, my fill is hard water and it's even worse now that we have been in a long drought. My last TF100 CH test read around 600. All my other chem levels are near perfect. I have a developing CH line at the water line, so I guess I will be using some acid to remove it.

Thanks in advance!
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to reduce CH?

There is only one way to lower calcium other than by dilution, but it only works in the Phoenix Arizona area, Calsaway Pool Services Inc. They really need to franchise.

It is possible to manage CH levels up to about 1,200 if you take care to manage your PH and TA levels so that your CSI remains around zero.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Jason!

I put in a request for quote.
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.

4. Back To Top    #4

I kept mine at 800 for several years before having to refill last year due to some repair work.

I kept my TA ~80-90 and PH in the mid 7's. It worked without issues just like Jason said.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

5. Back To Top    #5

It's got to be rough goings down there in the Austin area with all that limestone raising the CH in your fill water. You can't really escape it. Have you checked into having water trucked in? Of course, it probably wouldn't be feasible for every time that you need to top the pool off, but an initial fill with trucked in water without all that calcium in it might make it last a little longer. Just a thought.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

6. Back To Top    #6

One option is to use a water softener to treat the fill water. However, you would need to refill the pool first with treated water.

You could also plumb a water softener into the pool plumbing with a bypass so a small amount of water constantly goes through the softener. With adjustment valves, it could be set up such that you can get a fairly fast drop initially (i.e. divert a lot of water into the softner), but long term, it could be setup to maintain a 300-400 ppm level (i.e. divert less water into the softner). Since your fill water has a very high CH, you will probably need to divert at least a portion of the water traveling through the plumbing.

Either way it is probably an expensive solution but you may not have much of a choice because of the constant addition of CH from the fill water.

My fill water is about 200 ppm and I need to refill my pool every year as it climbs to over 800 ppm. I have thought about doing this myself but the city is bringing osmosis online this year to help with the mineral content so I want to see how well that works first.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

I also have high CH in the fill water. The few times I tested it it was around 200 ppm. I think one thing that has been over looked is reducing the amount of evaporation from your pool. Where I live, west central Florida, we recieve also zero rain from November until June. For that reason, I keep a solar cover on the pool 24/7 during those months. The only time it comes off is when we are swimming. Then during the rainy months I use a liquid solar cover, and leave the blue solar cover off. In this maaner I fill the pool less than once a month, usually every other month.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks all for the replies!!! Your great as always.

The water seems to be a bit clearier today. I raised the FC and lower my pH.

Start numbers:
    FC: 3
    TC: 3.5
    TA: 160
    pH: 8.1
    CH: 600

Last night reading
    FC: 14
    TC: 14
    TA: 90
    pH: 7.1
    CH: 600

I noticed a bit of green to the water at the start but my TC numbers really didn't show a big swing. I figured I start off raising the FC and slowly lower the pH.

The other issue that has been in my mind (I know Jason has told us not to worry about) is phosphates. I am using Dry Acid in my pH Adjuster chem feeder and I have been told by some here that the Dry Acid will raise my phosphates. I really love using the pH Adjuster for it keeps my pH steady except when it runs out like I let it do at the start of this issue.

9. Back To Top    #9

Your numbers are looking good.

Dry acid is sodium bisulfate. It will raise your sulfate level, but it won't have any effect on phosphates either way. Very high sulfate levels can damage some SWG cells, though it is very unusual for the levels to get that high.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School