Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae starting - need to shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae starting - need to shock

I've notice a small amount of algae starting to grow and I need to shock. According to the Pool Calculator I need to bring my chlorine level to 18 and hold it there. My test kit (Taylor K-2005 ) will only read to 5 ppm. The testing vial holds 9 ml of water. So my question is, how many ml of pool water should I be using to perform my tests? For some reason I just can't seem to figure this out.
    I seem to come up with an answer of approx 32 ml. Is this correct?

Thanks
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae starting - need to shock

By far the best thing to do is to get a FAS-DPD chlorine test kit. You can get the FAS-DPD test separately from both Taylor and TF Test Kits.

Using the regular DPD test kit you can measure high chlorine levels using dilution, but you lose a great deal of precision. THe way to do is to take some simple repeatable measured amount of water, perhaps a shot glass, and mix one part of pool water to three parts of chlorine free water, test that, and then multiply the result by four. The most common source of chlorine free water is distilled water. Keep in mind that using this approach measuring FC levels around 15 to 20 is going to be something like +-6 at best, and possibly much worse. For comparison, the FAS-DPD chlorine test is +-0.5.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School