Too much Bleach?

see the debris in the middle? the chlorine is trying to break that down. you can tell by looking at the CC level.

- - - Updated - - -

have you looked under the ladder? under the ladder steps? in the ladder?

Yea theres always a small amount of debris in the middle, theres a tree beside the pool and i have my return jet aimed to create a cyclone effect causing all foreign debris to end up directly in the center of the pool. I clean it out daily though.

Ladders all clean

Hey again everyone!

Ok so last night me and my gf went swimming for about 2 hours, and then I let the pool sit for an hour. During the swimming for the first time ever I did detect a hint of chlorine, as well as on me after I got out. My eyes didn't burn underwater, but I know the odor is a sign something is happening. Either way I ran the OCLT.

At 12 Midnight (1 hour after the swim) The FC level was 6.5.
At 5:30am this morning the FC was (technically) 5.5, but I would say closer to 5.0

What now?

Hey again everyone!

Ok so last night me and my gf went swimming for about 2 hours, and then I let the pool sit for an hour. During the swimming for the first time ever I did detect a hint of chlorine, as well as on me after I got out. My eyes didn't burn underwater, but I know the odor is a sign something is happening. Either way I ran the OCLT.

At 12 Midnight (1 hour after the swim) The FC level was 6.5.
At 5:30am this morning the FC was (technically) 5.5, but I would say closer to 5.0

What now?

Your CC is too high and your overnight loss is too great. Something is eating the chlorine. Kill it. Take the FC level up to 20 and leave the pump on all day. Brush every inch of the pool -- don't neglect the ladder. I'd even pull it and scrub it outside the pool. Have a cold one. Then recheck FC and add whatever to get it back to 20. Check and add every couple hours and brush again. Repeat the overnight loss test. If you pass and the CC is below .5, pat yourself on the back. If not, do it again tomorrow.

attachment.php

Problem Found and Ideas needed

wow! I will go look tonight!

Is there a better way to verify fc levels for shock instead of using 40+ drops every time i test from my test kit?

On a side note, just for fun i grabbed a sample and had my local pool store test it. I wanted to see if our results are the same... Will test the same sample woth my kit and post results for comparison, but it already looks completely different.

Here are the readings per the stores fancy chemical analyzer

Tc 2.8 (1.0-3.0 acceptable)(is this ppm? Because 1-3 isnt ideal ? )
Fc 1.8 (1.0-3.0 acceptable)
pH 7.8 (7.2-7.6 acceptable)
Ta 155 (100-150 acceptable)
Ch 275 (200-400 acceptable)
Stabalizer 50 (30-100 acceptable)

Will update post with my home results for comparison.

UPDATE

Ok heres my test results from same sample from 4pm today

FC 1.5
pH 7.6
CC .5 (What???)
CH 475
TA 120
CYA 55

I have to say this is killing my motivation to break free of the pool stores grip. I try to DIY it this year and its nothing but confusing headache. My pool is completely clear but in trouble on a chemical level. I cant seem to fix it because its impossible to nail down those levels. One day CC is 1.5, the next its back to .5, one day FC is 6.5, 16 hours later its 1.5. Not a bit of algae to be seen but something is eating my chlorine. Ive inspected my ladder, hoses, baskets, back washed and rinsed filter, vacuumed a almost spotless pool... Cant find a thing that sticks out as irregular, cant viably find a single issue, yet cant seem to get this method under control. I need someone to help me pinpoint my problem soon or I fear I may just wind back up in the evil pool stores hands.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Be glad about the CC numbers...it means the chlorine is doing it's job.

SlAM is not fun and can be a roller coaster, but once you have done one, you know
what to do next time...if there is a next time for algae growth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.