Over my head in Wisconsin

The excavator used a much larger bucket than I would have thought. Its a mess but probably what is necessary to get the job done right.

My plumbing plan calls for 5 pipes.
2 return far wall. 1 on near wall to pump.
2 skimmers.

Everything is 2" rigid solid core PVC.
I intend to pitch everything to the pump with the only low spot being just before the pump area. Here I plan to use a window well (grey tube you see) as a pit for reaching the plugs I will have here before the pipe goes up to the pump/filter.
If all goes as planned, all I will need to do to winterize the pool is plug up the ports and skimmer at the pool, lift the cover to the well pit, and unscrew the plugs to let them drain out. I wont risk broken pipes again that put me in this situation.

I'm probably doing it the hard way but it makes sense to me.

Oh and it rained hard today :/

yaSRjuT.jpg

SCH 40 is recommended throughout because it is rated to hold up under pressure. DWV tubing is not. Those sweeps, 45s and 4 way splitter do look to be DWV (drain waste vent) type PVC but at this point, I would just leave it as is and keep an eye on those areas for issues/leaking.

JVTrain I hate to beat a dead horse but I just noticed that the unions in the second picture that are going underground are DWV unions as well. Certainly the 2 90's in the image and I think the M/M unions as well. As cheap as it would be to correct I would replace them. The female end on a DWV union is only about a inch deep where a SCH40 union is almost 2". It is also thicker PVC than a DWV union. Just my 2C. The reno is looking very nice though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yup - there will be a structure over the pool :)
Pool is 20X40 plus stairs. Structure is 30X48.
You can see the ground posts lined up for the arches. I plan to get the frame in place before the concrete is poured. Then skin it.

If all goes as planned it will be like an indoor pool.

That sounds great. Going with a translucent material for the skin or otherwise?

My daughter always dreams up ideas about how we could cover our pool area and keep it open all winter with elaborate drawings sometimes... If only I had a money tree next to the pool. :suspect:

Its clear polycarobonate.

I looked very hard at options and was discouraged at price until I found this solution. Cost me 10k shipped.
Steel frame and clear throughout. I will get pictures posted soon.

Advantages I see:
* No leaves/grass/dirt
* No frogs/snakes/turtles/etc
* No sunscreen needed for us and the kids
* No UV means less chemicals (like an indoor pool)
* No UV extends the life of the pool surface and parts/toys
* Extended season
* Like a permanent solar blanket
* No need to cover the pool for the winter
* Can swim in poor weather and it wont matter as much
* Ice skating rink in the winter? I'm actually curious if such a large pool can freeze set up this way but if it does it will be like glass and stay clear of snow.
* Greenhouse to grown plants - I can go into hydroponics if all else fails :)

Disadvantages:
* Giant structure taking up my view of the backyard
* Initial cost and installation
* Snow load?
* Frosting?
* Humidity?

All sounds very interesting. My biggest perceived negative would be feeling like I'm not outside due to the roof and potentially the heat/stuffiness during summer.

Lots of plusses though as you mention.

Though I do realize you are in WI which clearly impacts much of the discussion.

Doubtful issue with snow weight unless you get some really sticky stuff or get drifting up one side of the structure. The domed shape should have most of the snow not sticking and if it is wet snow that does, it should slide down when you get sunlight. Otherwise it's probably the cold "dry" variety of snow that won't stick.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.