LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2015
Catalunya, Spain
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First off, just wanted to say that with the help of this forum I've resolved a long running problem with my pool and I'm now fully up and running the TFP way.

The backbone of the TFP way is to use bleach and acid rather than shop bought tabs and PH adjusters and there's a plethora of information for calculating how much of each you need to use and when to use it. What I'm noticing though is a lack of proper handling advice hard coded into the TFP way. The ABC's of pool water chemistry doesn't mention it and in The Pool School Index there's no H for handling, no A for Acid or even C for Chemicals. I've just read the thread here about a guy who damaged his eyes and had to go to hospital despite wearing several items of protective clothing. I was shocked because I am pouring in acid straight from the bottle without really giving it much thought because I haven’t read anything on here to guide me on what precautions I should be taking. Sure there are forum posts if you specifically go looking for them but this kind of info needs to be up front and centre because, as I say, handling bleach and acid are the cornerstones of the FTP way.

By chance I stumbled across a post that said "don't store your acid next to your bleach" (I was doing exactly that) and don't store it next to metals that could corrode. I also stumbled across a post that said....now what was it....something about not using your now discarded puck floater for other types of pucks because there will be a bad chemical reaction between the new and the old chemicals....you see the problem? This was an important bit of info and I've now forgotten what it was and it's not mentioned anywhere in the Pool Index or other guidelines. It might have been something to do with Vitamin C come to think about it. I know there has to be some common sense and logic says “bleach and hydrochloric acid are bad, n’kay” but I think it’s important that Health and Safety are covered in the Pool School and Pool Index as this is where all newcomers head to first.

So my suggestion is to have a bigger section on the chemicals used and the correct methods for storage, handling and administering. I think this is required to make sure there are no more episodes like the one that happened to Michael1.

Although all the storage and precaution information is on every single item that is recommended to use, most people don't read them. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have a safety/use/storage recommendation section more spelled out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More wording on the dangers of MA fumes could be added to the Recommended Pool Chemicals section.

In the US, it's certainly more of a consumer beware and be self-informed situation when it comes to chemical products. If a consumer does as they're supposed to and read the precautions and warnings on the container or with documentation that comes with the product, they'll know how to handle them. The problem is, many people do not and are in a hurry to get things fixed, dump things in the pool with reckless abandon.

A section, or footnote in each Recommended Chemical in Pool School that lays out basic dangers of each recommended chemical and also lists some incompatibility concerns would be a nice feature. Do I think it's required? No. However, we are interested in helping people take care of their pools in a reliable, cost effective and safe way because it's the people that come and keep coming back that are important. It's still a good idea.

I was also thinking along the lines of:

Where to pour the chemicals - in front of a return, at the deep end or all around the perimeter?
What speed to pour them in and what happens if your pour in too quickly
How to pour them in - what distance above the water? Should I almost submerge the bottle before pouring?
What gloves (if any) should be worn?
What eye protection (if any) should be worn
What to do if you accidentally spill some on you (run to the nearest tap or jump in the pool?)
What chemicals can and can't be stored together (and why) and at what temperatures. Some of that will be on the bottle but does it say don't store Hydrochloric acid next to bleach and metal objects? mine doesn't. If I hadn't stumbled upon this in a forum post I wouldn't have known any better so quite how this could be considered irrelevant (or not required) in the TFP guidelines I'm not sure.

So not just the general health and safety on the side of the bottle but how it relates to the real world situation of when it is being used in a swimming pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.