Rain impacted brushed concrete finish. Can it be fixed?

I don't expect to get many thumbs up on this, but I personally kind of like the "life" that it adds to the concrete. I think after seeing it in person for a bit, I might just come to appreciate the natural effect, and in fact, enjoy it. It is natural in some respect, since it was created by rivers of water. I find myself seeing cool shapes it in, kind of like looking at the clouds.

We see trees in a forest ;)

I don't expect to get many thumbs up on this, but I personally kind of like the "life" that it adds to the concrete. I think after seeing it in person for a bit, I might just come to appreciate the natural effect, and in fact, enjoy it. It is natural in some respect, since it was created by rivers of water. I find myself seeing cool shapes it in, kind of like looking at the clouds.

This was my first reaction - how cool is this!! But I could see and understand your distress. I wasn't bold enough to go out on a limb (why not let Bmore do that!). I realize in person, it may not look as good as it does in the picture, so we may be out in left field.

I can see in the future where this could very well be the newest fad - and quite expensive. Fads are interesting to me, and now I'm wondering if this isn't exactly how some of them begin..... from mistakes! Put this on Pinterest, claim it's a special, expensive method that only your contractor does in the area, and watch it get 'pinned' over and over!

I don't know enough about concrete decks, but if it isn't too late and could have a light stain put on it, then it would really look "meant to be".

For me, my best answer to a problem is how I will feel about something when I look at it now and years from now. Which way will leave me feeling satisfied and happy? I stood my ground and had a redo, or pleasantly surprised over an unplanned happenstance? That often gives me my answer immediately.
Suz.

Suz is right. You have to look at it and ask yourself if you are ok with it. If the answer is yes I'm ok with it then acid etching and other technics are an option to make it more interesting. If the answer is no then it is a complete tear out and redo. But you need to deal with it immediately, this is not something time will heal.

Suz is right. You have to look at it and ask yourself if you are ok with it. If the answer is yes I'm ok with it then acid etching and other technics are an option to make it more interesting. If the answer is no then it is a complete tear out and redo. But you need to deal with it immediately, this is not something time will heal.

well that's all fine if you are good with it, and willing to live with it. but I would ask for a discount.

I just don't understand why people feel they cant say NO to a contractor. its not like its a family friend helping out. im not willing to accept major deviations for something I paid top dollar for. like I mentioned before, different viewpoint if it was you and a couple of buddies that did the work. then what you can and cant accept changes a whole lot, lol

I had a rather large dog walk across a wet driveway before after it was broomed and we were gone for the day. That was back in the day before all the fancy restaurants and Bass Pro shops stamped animal tracks in their walks. I like to think we were ahead of the curve.

Also had some kids throw bricks all over a driveway after we left. :( Left some pretty interesting impressions.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a rather large dog walk across a wet driveway before after it was broomed and we were gone for the day. That was back in the day before all the fancy restaurants and Bass Pro shops stamped animal tracks in their walks. I like to think we were ahead of the curve.

Also had some kids throw bricks all over a driveway after we left. :( Left some pretty interesting impressions.

We had the same thing happen to our driveway when it was done. The brush strokes were even, but it had so many odd patterns and different colors to it. It all evened out within the first few months.

We were to originally have exposed aggregate concrete decking, but due to some quality issues with the concrete we ended up with textured acrylic coated concrete for the same cost. Ten years now and I'm still very pleased with the free option I was given. Just a thought.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We were to originally have exposed aggregate concrete decking, but due to some quality issues with the concrete we ended up with textured acrylic coated concrete for the same cost. Ten years now and I'm still very pleased with the free option I was given. Just a thought.

Can you include a picture? We are trying to look at the different coating options to get a feel for what's available while we wait for it to cure more.

- - - Updated - - -

We had the same thing happen to our driveway when it was done. The brush strokes were even, but it had so many odd patterns and different colors to it. It all evened out within the first few months.

Was it covered with plastic right afterwards? Was the cause of odd patterns and different colors?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I think dog prints would first upset me, but eventually become fun. The brick though, sorry about that.

=================================
Update.
=================================
Concrete has not changed much. I've held off finishing off the yard because of potential access for the concrete truck and the extra foot traffic. PB thought he would try to power wash a portion, which of course did not work but I think he needed to see that for himself. Total deck area is approximately 1200 sq. ft. Area affected by discoloration 540 sq. ft. At one point the PB said it would cost him approximately $10 a sq. ft. to tear out and replace. He also had a spray coat(single color) quote for 5.85 a sq. ft.

He offered two options:
1)Tear out, this would include three sets of steps.
2)Spray coating the entire surface area.

I also countered with: 3)Leave as is and negotiate a discount which he is open too.

So this weekend my wife and I will decide which of the three options to go with.

Items for my wife and I to consider.

If we pour and replace I have not idea or control on the timing.
The person replacing the concrete would be the same contractor who did it originally.
I am in the process of finding out what material is being offered for the 'spray'. It too would be done by the same contractor. I am not comfortable with his experience on applying the application.
If we do a tear out, there is no guarantee that the new will match the old, so we may have a new problem with a glaring mismatch

We are fairly certain we will go options 1 or 3 tear out or leave as is with price discount.
Do we risk color mismatch with almost half being a different color?
Do we leave as is, with furniture and planters mixed in to break up the appearance?

Here is a current photo(fun times): The bottom of the picture shows the concrete.
20634646241_bc917cac2c_c.jpg

Here is a second shot more full on:
19819145602_4de787763a_c.jpg

From my view, it's option 3. Take it to the bank.

I would have them tear it out and re-do it. sorry, but that concrete looks bad. you have such a great setup with the pool, etc, that I wouldn't accept it. yes, the color will be slightly different at first, but the two areas of concrete will blend soon enough. the age difference between the slabs isn't that much. it would have to be a very substantial discount for me to accept #3. personally I might accept a combination of a partial refund along with the spray coating. what kind of spray coating? is the pool deck paint stuff? that could look nice, but just remember it will be a maintenance item that will have to be re-done eventually. but it could hide the finish.

I agree with Dan. That is not something I could live with for the amount of money it costs. On the spray option, unless it's high build you would probably still see the texture differences. If it's a etch you should be fine but don't settle for painted on finish.

Did you look at staining the deck?

A good contractor could make the deck look like marble. In the Northeast, properly sealed, the finish withstands freeze/thaw and road salt. It is quite dramatic and worth a look. Cost is usually under $3/square foot.

- - - Updated - - -

This is an example:
dd.jpg

Did you look at staining the deck?

A good contractor could make the deck look like marble. In the Northeast, properly sealed, the finish withstands freeze/thaw and road salt. It is quite dramatic and worth a look. Cost is usually under $3/square foot.

That looks really nice and shows potential so we can blend the deck with the coping more.
We would need to get our own person to do the work. But I have a hard time believing $3/square. My 'quick' estimates for this type looked around $8/square or more.
We would also need to seal this regularly, but I'm ok with that type of work to maintain appearance.
------ edit -------

Got excited for a moment, but staining will not cover the pattern unless is it all darker.
A couple articles I read said that stain would not work completely, the variation will still show through.
So we will do some additional research over time on acrylic coatings.

That looks really nice and shows potential so we can blend the deck with the coping more.
We would need to get our own person to do the work. But I have a hard time believing $3/square. My 'quick' estimates for this type looked around $8/square or more.
We would also need to seal this regularly, but I'm ok with that type of work to maintain appearance.

I would personally tell your pool builder that he can either rip it out and redo it or let you pick another sub to finish the concrete and he would have to pay that sub on your behalf. As long as the cost is less than the tear out he shouldn't have any reason to complain.

I personally would find an sub that can do awesome concrete work and have them stain it. It will make your pool pop more than other pools in the area with just a concrete deck. Plus as you said you could get a better blend with your coping which is more golds than grey like your concrete. And like before ask for people that can recommend the sub that had their concrete done more than a few years ago so you can go see how it holds up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.