Sand Filter and DE

I did follow the directions in adding the DE. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't backwashing too soon with the addition of the DE so needed to clarify my understanding.
As usuall, thanks for the help!

If you follow the article Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter your normal PSI will probably be above 10 and probably 11. And it will rise as it gets dirty, just like it does without it, but faster. When you backwash, it goes away and you need to add more DE.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, I did follow these directions so I was just clarifying that the PSI would stay at that level and not go down. I'm not as comfortable with the equipment/techinical decisions :)

Thanks!

Well, you only want to add DE in small amount that only causes the filter to rise 1 pound more. If you add too much it will definitely make it rise too much.

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter <--Link to article telling how to add DE to sand filter

I don't notice any additional need to backwash. I *might* only backwash once or twice in 6 months...(my pool doesn't get much in it because of the autocover) but when I add DE the water does seem to sparkle more. And remember that a slightly dirty sand filter works better than one overly-backwashed .

oh wow! Well we don't have a cover. Our pool is in a rural area, we have lots of trees and debris that gets blown in, plus some dogs that love to play in the pool, and a critter every now and again. I usually backwash once a week, sometimes two depending on the weather. I only backwash based on an increase in PSI and the water is usually pretty dirty when I do. I was just wondering if I needed to be watching the filter more carefully.

Thanks for your feedback!

I don't notice any additional need to backwash. I *might* only backwash once or twice in 6 months...(my pool doesn't get much in it because of the autocover) but when I add DE the water does seem to sparkle more. And remember that a slightly dirty sand filter works better than one overly-backwashed .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.