1 year old Pentair Cartridge filter .. deteriorating

Finally got some photos off my phone...same damage as the OP. I was thinking the top of the manifold was rubbing, but am thinking was it possible that the cartridges were not put tightly in the bottom mounts? I would think the cartridge's would settle in. Like I said in my earlier post, I turned the cartridges around 180 degrees and will see if I get damage on the outside again.

Attachments

• 20220416_122149.png
    20220416_122149.png
    157.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220416_122152.png
    20220416_122152.png
    178.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220416_122156.png
    20220416_122156.png
    494.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220416_122158.png
    20220416_122158.png
    485.1 KB · Views: 15
Could they be from the same bad batch that was rushed through production during the shortages ?

The specific damage points to something rubbing just on the edges.

Maybe the edges of the cartridges are hitting on the lid?

Maybe the lid is too short?

Part 19 is the top and maybe the wrong top was used?

1652316632138.png

Check the dimensions to verify the correct lid.

Maybe the cartridges are too tall?

Put some blue chalk or other indicator on the cartridges and then put the lid on and then remove the lid to see if the chalk transferred to the inside of the lid, which would prove contact.

1652317282762.png

Is it the right lid ? Mine came with the wrong cartridges and they sat crooked. The pool store I bought it from were very eager to help, but bless their hearts, were not that bright. The (wrong) model #s were stamped in the area worn down in the above pics, but because the stickers on the filters claimed to be correct, they didn't believe me. I switched the stickers to prove they could be wrong as I had 2 different sizes. Then I pointed to the stamped in plastic model #s.

They got the Pentair rep involved and she insisted I needed a whole new filter. I, again, was THRILLED for the help, but also :brickwall: as I had to assemble and box the filter to bring it back, then unpack the new one again. We could have just swapped parts.

Point of the story, cross reference the lid and filters from the parts diagram in the instructions. If you replaced them based on the cartridges themselves, they could be wrong. Or it's the top that's wrong.

Reactions: JamesW
Some things to check -

Is the top compression spring (#3) present and in place? It’s what applies a downward force on the upper manifold to push the cartridges down and hold them in place.

Is the inlet baffle assembly (#14) in place and properly positioned? It redirects the inlet water flow so that it hits the inside of the tank first and not the cartridges.

Just a follow up .. with some good news..
Email from Pentair : "I had my supervisor look at your pictures and he approve me to send you new cartridges"
So this is great news ..
Now, I did respond asking for a timeframe.. as it is starting to get really warm here today is like 74 degrees .. and I really want to get this pool opened Before it turns green..
Anyone have thoughts about temporarily running the degrading cartridges until the new ones arrive?

I would use them. Be on the lookout for any changes in filter pressure, debris in returns, etc.

You can run the pump without the filters to mix in chemicals. Just do not vacuum or pull in any large debris.

Some things to check -

Is the top compression spring (#3) present and in place? It’s what applies a downward force on the upper manifold to push the cartridges down and hold them in place.

Is the inlet baffle assembly (#14) in place and properly positioned? It redirects the inlet water flow so that it hits the inside of the tank first and not the cartridges.
Yes and Yes :) I did check those ( as I wanted to make sure it all went back together the way I took it apart ) as it was my first time..

Reactions: JoyfulNoise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check the dimensions to verify the correct lid.

Maybe the cartridges are too tall?

Put some blue chalk or other indicator on the cartridges and then put the lid on and then remove the lid to see if the chalk transferred to the inside of the lid, which would prove contact.

View attachment 409436
It's 49" .. with the relief value open.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Just a follow up .. with some good news..
Email from Pentair : "I had my supervisor look at your pictures and he approve me to send you new cartridges"
So this is great news ..
Now, I did respond asking for a timeframe.. as it is starting to get really warm here today is like 74 degrees .. and I really want to get this pool opened Before it turns green..
Anyone have thoughts about temporarily running the degrading cartridges until the new ones arrive?
Got a good phone number?? My PB is supposed to come out next week to inspect, seeing it was the 1st time I was cleaning filters...his company did all the assembly and filter clean after the 30 day startup!

In my opinion, it is not defective cartridges or water chemistry.

The damage is localized to just a small area, which indicates that something is affecting just those spots.

I would check to see if the cartridges are hitting the inside of the lid.

Before you install the lid, put something on the cartridges that will transfer to the lid if there is contact.

You can use just about any type of gel or whatever.

Maybe strawberry jelly or toothpaste or anything.

Put the lid on and then take it back off and see if the gel transferred to the inside of the lid.

Got a good phone number?? My PB is supposed to come out next week to inspect, seeing it was the 1st time I was cleaning filters...his company did all the assembly and filter clean after the 30 day startup!
I just called their contact Number listed on their website.

Reactions: curtisb
Good afternoon..
I have a Pentair cartridge filter.
The builder installed the pool last spring, so these filters are just one year old now.
I was going to open the pool for the season soon, so i opened up the the filter to clean the cartridges and noticed all the tops and bottoms of the each cartridge deteriorating..there is blue particles that easily come off.
It certainly doesn't look right.. I did read another post and someone mentioned high PH .. but if you look at my pool logs from last summer, you'll notice I really never had a PH issue... near the end of the season after being stable, it kept going up .. but nothing a little MA didn't easily handle. I tested 4 -5 time a week at least.
I test with 2006C Taylor kit.
All of last year ( because of the supply issues) I didn't run my SWG.. so was just doing daily doses of liquid chlorine.

Recently I did take my spa water sample in to be tested, and they reported my Ph was fine ( as well did my spa - self test), but the ph drop test was reporting a little high.. I bought a new bottle of Ph and compared the 2 bottles results.. and they reported the same ..
Mine are the same damage on both ends. 7 months old, Salt pebble pool and had chlorine only start up. Ph and all chems measured ok the whole time. Checking with my pool builder for warranty replacement.

In my opinion, it is not defective cartridges or water chemistry.

The damage is localized to just a small area, which indicates that something is affecting just those spots.

I would check to see if the cartridges are hitting the inside of the lid.

Before you install the lid, put something on the cartridges that will transfer to the lid if there is contact.

You can use just about any type of gel or whatever.

Maybe strawberry jelly or toothpaste or anything.

Put the lid on and then take it back off and see if the gel transferred to the inside of the lid.

In accordance with what @JamesW is saying, is the filter staying full of water when the pump shuts off? If the filter were to drain, even partially, the initial turbulence of water in the filter could cause the cartridges to wobble around a bit. There should be a check valve in your plumbing that keeps water from draining back out of the system. I have a check valve between my pump and filter. Just a thought …

I called the Pentair dude (actually the PB called) and as soon as I started talking, he said he would be over with new filters. He said that the filters in the last year or so, have been garbage. He replaced them the next day. I was surprised, no argument, no explanation, it was actually surreal!

Curt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.