1 or 2 skimmers?

2 is bare minimum. I have 2 on the short side of my rectangle and they work awesome. If they were on the long side or I had a shaped (freeform) pool I would need more.

It will be $400 well spent in the grand scheme of your build. People tend to spend tons of money on the pretty stuff but make up the savings in the things that make the pool actually function.

Reactions: SteveK and PoolGate
If you have one skimmer and you have a problem with it your pool is down. If you have two skimmers and one has a problem it is not a big deal.

Are you going to have a main drain? How will it be plumbed?

All I can offer is to suggest you go out where the pool is to be this afternoon and light a match or a candle or smoke a cigar or something and see which way the wind blows, if you don't already know. Then make sure that at least one skimmer is on the downwind end.

I have a very similar pool as you, tanning ledge and skimmer and pool is 16 X 35. We have one skimmer in the deep end and never have any issues because the jets circulate the debris right towards the skimmer. I do however recommend getting small return jets installed on the baha to keep the water circulating and prevent debris from accumulating. We did this and it works quite well. Light too on the shelf, sometimes the deep pool lights will not shine up on the ledge.

Reactions: S S
I have a very similar pool as you, tanning ledge and skimmer and pool is 16 X 35. We have one skimmer in the deep end and never have any issues because the jets circulate the debris right towards the skimmer. I do however recommend getting small return jets installed on the baha to keep the water circulating and prevent debris from accumulating. We did this and it works quite well. Light too on the shelf, sometimes the deep pool lights will not shine up on the ledge.
Thank you--ill ask about the returns--thought didnt occur to me.

Thank you--ill ask about the returns--thought didnt occur to me.
OP - saying that your pool is 16x30 hardly gives enough info. What is pool shape/depth? Main drain? # of returns? No one can say their pool is 'similar' to yours based on one attribute. Example -- a 16x30 free-form will have LOTS less surface area to skim than a 16x30 rectangular pool, but have a tendency to develop 'dead spots' with limited surface flow.

Spending the $$$ for a second skimmer (and even adding some return jets) is good insurance against water movement/flow issues (and regrets) at a later time.

OP - saying that your pool is 16x30 hardly gives enough info. What is pool shape/depth? Main drain? # of returns? No one can say their pool is 'similar' to yours based on one attribute. Example -- a 16x30 free-form will have LOTS less surface area to skim than a 16x30 rectangular pool, but have a tendency to develop 'dead spots' with limited surface flow.

Spending the $$$ for a second skimmer (and even adding some return jets) is good insurance against water movement/flow issues (and regrets) at a later time.
New to this--
it is rectangular with 4 returns.

Attachments

• 8CE1433B-14C4-4773-BFC3-3FF1A6A69C79.jpeg
    8CE1433B-14C4-4773-BFC3-3FF1A6A69C79.jpeg
    537.9 KB · Views: 36
New to this--
it is rectangular with 4 returns.
Good to know. :) There's some good advice above by Newdude, ajw22, and Richard320. The key is having surface FLOW that encourages debris towards/into the skimmer.

Another example and contrast to illustrate this point -- I have a 20x40 rectangle with slightly cut corners where my skimmers (2) are located. As surface water flows around the pool (in generally circular motion due to how the return jets are set), the debris is aimed right into the skimmers.

My neighbor (this is the contrast part) also has a 20x40 rectangular pool with rounded corners, but the skimmers are located in the long sidewall (one in deep end/one in shallow end). She is always complaining about how poorly her skimmers capture debris (it tends go right past the skimmers and then linger in the center of the pool), but she marvels at how my skimmers capture everything (seemingly) with nothing left on the surface. Even on windy days, prevailing winds push debris into my skimmers.

Ask your PB about adding a second skimmer and return jets that will keep debris from accumulating in the baja or anywhere else. You won't regret the minimal investment at this stage of your journey. Good luck!

**Edit - just saw the pool diagram you posted. More than ever, I suggest getting a second skimmer and also that you ask the PB how he would suggest keeping the corners clear of surface debris. Maybe you don't have many sources of debris nearby (like trees), so maybe not an issue.

Reactions: Newdude and S S
4 returns and 1 skimmer. You think the in’s and outs may not be in balance? 4 returns and 2 skimmers will work much better.

Reactions: Newdude and S S

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1 can be perfectly fine. 2 will be. That’s my .02.

Reactions: S S
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.