Jul 1, 2017
GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there,

I need to replace the 1 HP pool pump and have been having a hard time deciding what the best way to proceed is. I've heard that only VS pumps will be available within a month due to some new energy laws. I have a 7,000 gallon pool and run the pump 8-10 hours a day. Based off calculations, the VS pump would save approx. $350 a year. I've also been told the calculations are not accurate and the energy savings are minimal with a VS pump.

What do you guys suggest for a new pump under $750? Can I even find a good pump within this price range? Or do I need to really spend approx. $2,000 on an Intelliflo?

Thank you,

If you would like to control your pump with your automation, you would need to get one that will mesh with that system. Obviously Jandy pumps will but those are not DIY friendly, if that is what you plan to do.

If you would like to control your pump with your automation, you would need to get one that will mesh with that system. Obviously Jandy pumps will but those are not DIY friendly, if that is what you plan to do.
I have an Aqualink RS8. Will the VS pumps operate with this? In terms of automation, do you mean like a schedule to run the pump?

Will the VS pumps operate with this? In terms of automation, do you mean like a schedule to run the pump?
You will need to check with the manufacturer of the pump. Jandy VS pumps should work. And yes, if you wish to manage the schedule for the pump with the automation, you would need the pump to be controlled by the automation. You may want different rpm from the pump for individual actions needs, such as a pool cleaner, skimming, water features, etc.

Also, def not something I can do myself. Lol seems pretty complicated with electrical and such. No?

Depends. If you have good DIY skills and understand electrical and plumbing modifications, not a big deal. But do not take chances. Hire it done if you are unsure. And if you get a Jandy product, they are not available for purchase except through authorized Jandy service centers with installation.

Depends. If you have good DIY skills and understand electrical and plumbing modifications, not a big deal. But do not take chances. Hire it done if you are unsure. And if you get a Jandy product, they are not available for purchase except through authorized Jandy service centers with installation.
Yes, this is def. not something I can install on my own :). What pump brands would you suggest? Jandy seems very expensive.

I just upgraded to motor from my 2 HP Hayward Super Pump to a 1.65 HP V-Green in cowboycasey's post. In my case, the 2 HP pump was oversized and I did not lose anything by decreasing pump size.

Either way, the 2 HP pump and saltwater system used to draw approximately 1650 watts (measured by an Emporia Vue system). I used to run the pump 10 hours a day. At my total electricity cost of 19.4 cents per KWH my pool cost me just under $100 a month last year.

The V-Green pump @ 1800rpm is pulling 250 watts (with same salt system). It's still early in my season but I have been running this system for 12 hours a day. At a 12 hour run time the VS pump and salt system will only cost $18 per month. That's right around $80 saved per month.

The savings can be significant if you can run the pump at a low speed.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.