1/4" of water loss in a 24hrs - cold weather, cold water

Jun 30, 2018
Canada
Hey guys,

I opened my pool a few weeks ago up in Ontario Canada. The outside temps have been an average of 50 degrees and the water temp matches it. I have not used the heater, just circulating water. I've been seeing about 1/4" of water loss per day (with our without a solar blanket). I don't remember losing this kind of water last year? Is it possible I have a leak? As a new pool owner (this is my 3rd season), I'm a bit worried.

Next question is that if there is a leak, do they have to rip up my patio? Are there less invasive ways to fix a leak in the lines or fittings?

Evaporation is related to water temperature vs dew point temperature. The larger the difference, the higher the evaporation. 1/4" isn't that much in a day but somewhat unusual for cold temperatures.

But a bucket test should be able to verify if it is a leak or not.

Leaks in pipes are far less common than in areas around the skimmer and lights which are much more common. So I would look for that first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.