cjmrdm

Feb 1, 2013
Peoria Arizona
Pool Size
Hello!
I am working my way through pool school and I believe I need to SLAM my pool but has a few questions first.

I will attach a picture of todays CYA reading. Can I get away with a partial drain and refill or should I drain the whole thing?

Some background…..
We came home from vacation and it had some algae growth. I put two gallons of liquid chlorine and my kids were swimming a lot. I put two doses of Clorox Algaecide and more chorine. Went to a local pool store and bought more chlorine and another algaecide. They said my phosphates were off the charts. They said to put two gallons of chlorine in and the algaecide. Thema couple days later to add more chlorine and phos free to eliminate the phosphates. ThePh remained level. I did that and it is still the same ( which I know does not surprise anyone here). Lol. There is still several spots of light green but it does not brush off so I don’t know if I have algae or it is stained? The water is clear. I’ve taken care of my pool for years and never once have I had this much trouble keeping chlorine in my pool.

I have a DE filter. I will attach a few photos. Any and all advice is welcome! Thank you!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5307.jpeg
    IMG_5307.jpeg
    373.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5267.jpeg
    IMG_5267.jpeg
    745.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5268.jpeg
    IMG_5268.jpeg
    871.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5309.jpeg
    IMG_5309.jpeg
    867.6 KB · Views: 47
Welcome to TFP! Sounds like you’ve been #PoolStored. I’ll let the experts jump in and tell you what all they think you need to do. They’ll give you some good quick guidance. I’ll just be the welcoming committee. :)

One thing I’ll point out is those test strips are next to notoriously inaccurate. Especially for CYA levels. Same goes with pool store tests. You’ll want a good professional quality test kit to be able to follow a potential SLAM process and then to maintain proper levels after. Check these out: Test Kits Compared

You mention not being able to hold chlorine? I don’t see any test numbers to support this. How are you currently testing (strips I assume)? There are two primary things that eat chlorine: the sun (UV) and goo (people goo / nature goo (algae / bacteria)). If you’re losing chlorine overnight, you got something growing and need to SLAM: Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
First things first, we can absolutely help you, but please stop putting random chemicals into your pool without an accurate way of testing (especially anything made by Clorox that isn't stabilizer). You will need a competent test kit, as the guess strips aren't going to hack it. You'll need either a Taylor K-2006C or a TFTestKits.net TF-100/TF-Pro. The Taylor is available on Amazon, but it's a fairly poor deal comparted to the TFTestKits model. Ignore phosphates as they are just one of many pool store scare tactics. Speaking of which, I'd stay out of that place altogether.

For now, until you get your test kit, I would add 5ppm worth of liquid chlorine daily to stave off things getting worse. In a 15,000 gallon pool this would be about 3/4 of a gallon.

HEY!!!

How have you been chlorinating the pool? Can you give us the EXACT product name? (not the couple gallons of liquid you put in, how do you chlorinate on a regular basis)

First thing I would do is get a test kit. Our advice is based on proper testing. You also cannot SLAM without one. Link-->Pool Care Basics

I would add 5ppm of liquid chlorine a day until the test kit arrives, about 3/4 gallon. I would add no other chemicals.

You could test your pool for stains while you are awaiting the test kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: dBsooner
Hello!!! Thank you for the quick response! I do have a professional test kit. I actually have two! That is what I actually use to test. I just used this step to get a quick reading of my CYA on my way out the door. I was in a hurry is the only reason. I never use these usually. I know they are garbage.

I do use the other test kits you mention. I have a large Taylor one and a pool master one. I just realized however that the CYA liquid for testing is out. 🤦🏼‍♀️. I will grab a bottle when I’m getting the chlorine. Do these kits expire ( just curious)?

The chlorine is Sani-Clor 12.5%

So, to confirm, I am not worrying about my Phosphates?

I use about 1 chlorine tab ( the one Costco sells) a week. I use to use bags of shock but the last several months I have completely switched to liquid chlorine ( plus the one tab a week). Once I run out of the Costco bucket I was going to switch to tri clor ( the one with more chlorine and less filler). Before it got hot all was fine just adding 1 gallon a week of chlorine.

I’m on my way to the pool store now. How many gallons should I buy to start?

Thank you

Do these kits expire ( just curious)?
Yes. I'd replace reagents every year, certainly every two years.
So, to confirm, I am not worrying about my Phosphates?
Don't worry about phosphates.
I’m on my way to the pool store now. How many gallons should I buy to start?
Not sure how to guide you. 4-5, without calculating, should get your through the week. Likely need more if you have algae.

a large Taylor one
Which one?

I'm not sure the problem we are trying to solve at the moment. Your FC/potential algae or staining.

Let's get a handle on potential algae first. When you get a chance, post a full set of test results. pH, FC, CC, TA, CH, CYA.

Reactions: dBsooner
Good job getting your test kit. As expected, your FC is way too low based on your CYA level which is causing the algae.

You are going to have to drain some water and refill to get your CYA down, but before you do that you need to figure out the exact CYA level. Google the diluted CYA test that is used when CYA is >90 so you can get an accurate CYA and figure up how much to drain.
In the meantime, add 5ppm of liquid chlorine per day to your pool to help tackle the algae and keep it from getting worse. For your pool, 3/4 a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine will do the trick. I recommend Pool Essentials from Walmart, but you should be able to get liquid chlorine from Home Depot, Lowes, hardware stores, etc.

Hello! I finally got my new testing kit. Here are my numbers.
ph - 7.6
FC - .5
CC - .5
Ta - 150
Ch - 520
CYA - over 100
Follow the instruction in bullet point #8 in this article to get your actual CYA value. This is the diluted CYA test.

Reactions: proavia and JJ_Tex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the CYA is 140 and you want to get it down to 40-50 to SLAM, you will need to drain almost 75% of your water.
Since it is already hot here in the Phoenix area, read up on the no drain water exchange. It will use more water, but is safer for the pool surface. I would get for a 70%-75% exchange, you will use 15,000 to 20,000 gallons of water.

A drain or water exchange will also help to lower your CH level.

If draining is required in AZ, always best to do it late Fall thru early Spring when the temps are more mild.
With your high CYA of 140 and algae, you don't presently have the luxury of a drain. A water exchange may be your best option.

No more tabs or algaecide for you. Liquid chlorine only - or your CYA will get way too high way too fast.

Thanks ! So, I have a pebble teck pool. Is that not safe to drain either right now? I have been using liquid chlorine for a few months because I know the tabs cause a lot of extra stuff in the pool. So, I will always use liquid chlorine (forever)? and never tabs? I am currently using Sani Chlor from a local pool store. It is about $7 a gallon. It says it is 12.5%. Would this be best or are the ones you mention just as good?

No you can't empty out a Pebble teck either as the weather is already too hot for the shell to be exposed without water. A no drain water exchange as mentioned above ^^^^^ is you only viable option now as the CYA needs to be much lower to take advantage of a good slam.

There are at least two brands of 12.5% liquid chlorine available in the PHX area. Both are fine. There is also Pool Essentials 10% available at Walmart for under $6 per gallon. The price is close to the same per percent of chlorine.

The no drain exchange is your safest choice right now. Pebbletec is the same as plaster as it has a plaster base. With our high temps and low humidity, the surface will dry out quickly when exposed to air.

Given you are presently using liquid chlorine, you want to get CYA down to 50 or lower.
At some future point, you may wish to look into a SWG system. Right now it's important to get the CYA down and complete the SLAM Process to make your pool sanitary and usable.

Gotcha! Thank you! I will start that process today. I think I may need a new pump now that I’m thinking. I believe I borrowed my neighbors last time I drained it. It’s there a good pump you would recommend?

Thank you ! In reading somewhere on here it said to keep the chemicals balanced the whole time during the water swap. This sounds like that would be very difficult to do and a waste of chemicals. Is this really necessary?

I would keep some chlorine in the pool at all times, but I would let everything else be until you are done with the swap and get your CYA where it should be.

Reactions: HermanTX
reading somewhere on here it said to keep the chemicals balanced the whole time during the water swap. This sounds like that would be very difficult to do and a waste of chemicals. Is this really necessary?
That's a drain/refill. A no drain exchange requires as little mixing as possible to work efficiently.

Reactions: PoolStored
Okay, it is draining. I started it 20 minutes ago. I have the hose on and in the skimmer. I am just wondering in my situation ( see picture) if this the best place or should I put the hose in the spa and let it naturally spill over?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.