Pearland Fall/ Winter Build

Well I looked at the bottle and is was not empty so I'm was wrong and it was not a whole gallon maybe 3/4 of a gallon. But I don't know for sure if the bottle started off full either.

My pool builder doesn't tell me anything so I am just guessing
from clue left behind. He also put 6-7 small pucks.

I did not test it because knowing won't allow me to change anything.

Yes, the only way for you to know what he did (or the effects) is to test. You don't have to act on the results or tell him you tested. I'd just be too curious not to.

"That's like saying "I don't know how to drive this car, but I've got a 2000 mile trip planned and I hope to learn along the way.""

I am pretty sure that with all of the reading I've done I will be able to maintain the chemistry with minimal issues. The reason that I am hesitant to test until the PB turn the chemistry over to me is that when I checked most of the levels where out of range for what plaster manufacture and the TFP recommends. When I raised my concern he was offended that I did not trust him.

Since we are still during the 30 day period that he is in charge of managing the water chemistry, to keep from getting aggravated and to help me trust him I have been reluctant to test the water chemistry.

As for learning how my pool responds to chemicals that are being added and since according to PB the plaster is still curing and this will change the effect of how the water responds and the only thing I know about what he is putting in the pool is taking guesses based on what bottles are left behind I don't believe I can learn much about it finer details.

I hope I am not being to negative sounding to any of the people here or my PB. I have seen his work and the final product is good. He just has some communication issues and is not used to his clients questioning his methods that don't always align with this site. When it comes to projects in my personal life I tend to Micro Manage ( not bad about it at work).

Also because we share a mutual friend so I have tried so for the keep things cordial when dealing with him over conflicts and so that is why I said when it comes to water chemistry right now I am going with "I think for now ignorance is bliss."

I do appreciate the people and the information on the site. I have learned a lot and probably would have not built my pool if it was not from the people and the approach used here. And I don't mean to disregard your advice but at this time not testing makes it easier to keep my hands off while he finishes up the last three weeks of build.

However, I may test the water just to practice today if I do I will post it here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any updated pics on water color/clarity? It should only take a few days for the chemistry to get close to your actual water color.

To me the water color has not changed much since the pictures of the pool being full that I have already posted. I may take a few pictures today and try to post them.

I really like your water color. The main reason I went with Super Blue is because I wanted a white base so I did not have to worry about it fading based on some threads I read about Diamond Brite bases fading.

Good luck with finishing you build.

Steve

Okay. Here's the deal. You both can't be correct in your testing if your results are radically different.

If HE is wrong, and you have plaster problems as a result, you have your test results logged and you have a record of notifying him that your results differed from his. He can't blame other causes, such as what you may have done after he turned it over to you. This is important.

If YOU are wrong in your testing methods/results you should figure that out NOW, before it becomes yours to take care of. If you aren't doing the tests correctly now, you won't magically be doing them right later.

You both can't be right here and it behooves you to determine which is which before anymore time passes. You don't need to include him in your testing, but you could ask him to let you know what HIS test results are so you can compare privately. Just tell him you're trying to learn.

My PB has the same complex -- any questions and he gets all huffy. I explain to him that I am trying to learn how to take care of a pool just as I would learn to take care of a car if I'm going to own one. That seemed to settle him down. He doesn't like lawyers, engineers, or anyone who questions anything he does, so I step into the box with two strikes against me anytime we talk. :) Don't get me wrong, he KNOWS what he's doing, but takes any question as a challenge to his ability. I've dealt with contractors for 29 years now so I never take anything personally.

"That's like saying "I don't know how to drive this car, but I've got a 2000 mile trip planned and I hope to learn along the way.""

I am pretty sure that with all of the reading I've done I will be able to maintain the chemistry with minimal issues. The reason that I am hesitant to test until the PB turn the chemistry over to me is that when I checked most of the levels where out of range for what plaster manufacture and the TFP recommends. When I raised my concern he was offended that I did not trust him.

Since we are still during the 30 day period that he is in charge of managing the water chemistry, to keep from getting aggravated and to help me trust him I have been reluctant to test the water chemistry.

As for learning how my pool responds to chemicals that are being added and since according to PB the plaster is still curing and this will change the effect of how the water responds and the only thing I know about what he is putting in the pool is taking guesses based on what bottles are left behind I don't believe I can learn much about it finer details.

I hope I am not being to negative sounding to any of the people here or my PB. I have seen his work and the final product is good. He just has some communication issues and is not used to his clients questioning his methods that don't always align with this site. When it comes to projects in my personal life I tend to Micro Manage ( not bad about it at work).

Also because we share a mutual friend so I have tried so for the keep things cordial when dealing with him over conflicts and so that is why I said when it comes to water chemistry right now I am going with "I think for now ignorance is bliss."

I do appreciate the people and the information on the site. I have learned a lot and probably would have not built my pool if it was not from the people and the approach used here. And I don't mean to disregard your advice but at this time not testing makes it easier to keep my hands off while he finishes up the last three weeks of build.

However, I may test the water just to practice today if I do I will post it here.

Steve, I felt the exact same way with my start up. I tested periodically but not religiously, just out of curiosity. At the end of the day, the PB holds the plaster warranty and is responsible for startup. We didn't have the time to watch their every move, I wasn't going to change what they do and it only introduced more stress into the process. Now, testing occasionally to ensure there was no huge problem was a little bit of comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E I think he is saying he is not "allowed" to change anything in the water no matter what the level is due to the PB being set in his ways. He is not testing so he does not rock the PB's boat.

I respect what you are doing and why. Do what you have to do. You can do a test on your fill water (don't bother doing CYA as it has to be added). This is something you need to know as a base line for when you take over. Put it in your test logger.

Kim:kim:

Here is the update.
I was on spring break and then busy. We will be competing the build this week with the installation and approval to use the heater.
here are the latest readings.
Fill water ( from the kitchen sink vs the pipe tied in to the auto fill)

FC =.4
CC = .4
PH = 7.4
TA 120
CH 100
CYA (not this time though)

Pool
FC = 8 using 10mL test
CC = .5 using 10mL test
PH = 7.8 PB has let it stay in the * plus range
TA 80
CH 210
CYA (not this time though)

The PB allowed us to swim last week. My kids have gotten in every day even though the water temps have ranged from 70 to 78 degrees.
I have been running the SWG per the PB direction although I have been adjusting the run time to try to find estimate the amount needed. I do realize this will change once I add CYA and it starts to heat up.

I have been testing the water since he turned on the SWG and have been logging run time and FC and pH level. I have taken a few CH readings and it is trending up but is still not at TFP recommended levels. Should I adjust this after the PB hands over the care of the pool or let it rise naturally?

Here is a list of things I want to adjust once the PB finally hands over the pool.
pH he has done a terrible job of maintain this.
In floor cleaner run time.
SWG run time and level.
CYA levels.
Pump run time and RPM.

Right now my FC is high and there is no timer set for the Pump I turn it on when I leave for work and have my wife turn it off later in the day the SWG is making chlorine the whole time the pump is on as for as I can tell I have been letting it drift down but one day I ran the pump to long because of we swam a lot and the FC went back up.

My plan is
to adjust the CYA up to 60 ppm.
Then dial in the pump/SWG run time plus the Pump RMP.
And then cleaning system runtime as well.
Dose this seem right?

I have one more question for people familiar with the electronic overfill. My comes on almost every day and adds water some time for 10 min sometime multiple times per day but it keeps the water line right be low the overfill drain and splashing causes us to lose water is this normal?

I will try get some pictures up of the completed pool. But I need to sod the back and front yard now almost all of the construction is finished.

I have one more question for people familiar with the electronic overfill. My comes on almost every day and adds water some time for 10 min sometime multiple times per day but it keeps the water line right be low the overfill drain and splashing causes us to lose water is this normal?

This is my first post of the season - sorry to jump in out of the blue to your thread, but your question re the auto fill is the same one I had after filling our new pool. I decided that especially in the first months of the new pool, I wanted to have a better handle on how often/much the pool was needing to be filled. It was easier doing it manually to make sure there weren't any new-pool leaks or glitches. It put me at ease, and also helped me to get the rhythm of my pool's water level needs. As time went on, I've kept the auto fill off. That way if it's bordering on needing water added, and I know big rains are coming, I can hold off a day and let the rains fill the pool. I like that better than seeing more water than necessary going through the overfill drain into the street and maybe wasting some chemicals. That's probably a minor reason, but I like managing the water level myself. I am glad I have the option of the auto fill in case we go out of town or something, and having the fill pipe and connection at the spigot makes it easier to fill manually than dragging the hose to fill. I just set the alarm on my phone to make sure I don't forget the fill line is on!! Lol!!.

Our warm spring is perfect for your newly finished pool! I have to say, your kids are braver than me! My pool just hit 70 yesterday. I'm waiting for a hot day and 75 degree water to jump in - AFTER I've worked in the yard and worked up a good sweat!!! Otherwise, I'll wait for 79 or 80!!!

Enjoy your pool and congratulations!!!
Suz

Suz has you well covered on the overfill part (THANKS SUZ!)

I will chime in on your other areas and say, You go this! Well thought out plan and purrfect for the long term care of your pool. How fast has the CH risen? The only way to remove CH is to drain so you don't want to push it up too much but you do want it at the correct level according to our chart. You are getting close with it now. If you have seen the come up fairly consistently then you can hold off adding any. This is where have a good journal of your test results will come in handy.

LOVE the kids have allowed to swim! I bet they are sleeping real good at night! LOL

Kim:kim:

Suz
Thanks for the advise that's the approach I will take when I figure out how to turn it off.

Kim
Thanks for the encouragement. So for it has went up from 120 to 210 in 17 days. I have been testing it about once a week.
So I guess I will leave it alone. I am currently using a Google drive spreadsheet that I have shared with my wife so we can access the data form multiple devices. I also have linked pages form this website as well as the user manuals as I find them online.

My pH is still high and the PB added some Muriatic Acid but I don't thing he even tested he just added some on Monday to drop it from off the charts to 7.8 and now its is back up to 8 a day later I have been reducing my SWG runtime as it will drop one day and skyrocket the next of course yesterday was the first day the kids did not swim. Just to many other things going on before it got dark and it was to cold.

On a side note I figured out how to setup the lights so I could select the mode on through the wireless remote. :) I need to take and upload some pictures.

On a construction front hopefully we will have the heater put in this week and we can use the spa as intended with warm water.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.