Start with a small pool with hopes to build bigger later, or save up for the pool we want?

risto1116

Mar 18, 2024
North Florida
Hello all -

First, I'm new here. My wife and I are getting desperate for a pool sooner rather than later. I did some browsing through the forums this morning to get some ideas and learn a bit about the process. But now I have a few questions. If these have already been addressed before, and I missed them during my search, I do apologize!

North Central Florida | Homeowner, w/ HOA | Looking at building a pool | 1.25 acres of property to work with

So we have around $25k saved up for our pool build. The plan has always been to surpass $50k saved so we can finance the rest and keep payments low. Our initial research led us to an estimated cost of $75,000, but we inflated it to $100k since we know how these things tend to increase. However, we're getting impatient and desperate for a pool as the hot Florida summer approaches. Obviously we won't have one for this year, but next summer would be incredible.

With that said, would it be foolish to consider having a <$50k fiberglass pool installed this fall, with the plan to eventually have a custom pool installed down the road? I'm talking 10+ years down the road - which would give us more time to build backs funds, learn what we like or want in our future pool, and would give us the foundation to work from when we have the fiberglass pool removed. I was first considering vinyl since it's cheaper and would need to be replaced/redone sooner - but I'm unsure if the timeline and cost/benefit would align.

Thanks in advance for any information or resources offered!

Welcome. If you're talking 10 years out, why not just get an AGP for starters. A friend of mine was desperate to buy a house and ended up getting one with a pool and hates the maintenance involved with it. So, if you are new to pools, I wouldn't spend anything over $2000 and a few years with it. That's my opinion. It's a large financial decision to make and maybe one of the biggest financial blunders.

Reactions: woodyp
When we looked into gunite/shotcrete vs fiberglass pools - the cost for a complete package was about the same in the Atlanta area. I was comparing similar sized pools though, not one smaller vs larger.

I see you mention HOA - many HOAs don't allow above ground pools - so that may not be an option as the previous post mentioned.

$50K is a lot to throw away after 10 years - as any decking, landscaping, etc would all be trashed in a rebuild.

-Tom

Above ground is a good option for short term.

Is a home equity loan an option? In TX, a pool will increase the value of your house, and I would assume the same in FL. You also can enjoy the pool now. Sure some of the $ goes to the bank in the form of interest, but the price of pools has been increasing year over year at a crazy rate. I would hate to see you wait 5 years to realize your $100k dream pool now costs $175k.

Hello all -

First, I'm new here. My wife and I are getting desperate for a pool sooner rather than later. I did some browsing through the forums this morning to get some ideas and learn a bit about the process. But now I have a few questions. If these have already been addressed before, and I missed them during my search, I do apologize!

North Central Florida | Homeowner, w/ HOA | Looking at building a pool | 1.25 acres of property to work with

So we have around $25k saved up for our pool build. The plan has always been to surpass $50k saved so we can finance the rest and keep payments low. Our initial research led us to an estimated cost of $75,000, but we inflated it to $100k since we know how these things tend to increase. However, we're getting impatient and desperate for a pool as the hot Florida summer approaches. Obviously we won't have one for this year, but next summer would be incredible.

With that said, would it be foolish to consider having a <$50k fiberglass pool installed this fall, with the plan to eventually have a custom pool installed down the road? I'm talking 10+ years down the road - which would give us more time to build backs funds, learn what we like or want in our future pool, and would give us the foundation to work from when we have the fiberglass pool removed. I was first considering vinyl since it's cheaper and would need to be replaced/redone sooner - but I'm unsure if the timeline and cost/benefit would align.

Thanks in advance for any information or resources offered!
If money is a concern, finding a house with a pool already there can be a great option. I don’t know why a fiberglass pool wouldn’t be just fine for the final pool choice?

I cannot stress this enough.
Check with your HOA !!! Check with your HOA !!! Check with your HOA!!

I don't know why you would, but if you absolutely insist on a plaster pool in the future, then an above ground pool might be the way to go. You can even have the AGP partially buried and build a nice wooden deck around it with some landscaping. I've seem some really nice AGP's.

Give it some thought and look at lots and lots of pool pictures. Also, become well informed about the Pluses and Minuses of each type. There are endless shapes and sizes of vinyl and fiberglass pools out there that can be fit into any size backyard. If you install a reasonably decent deck around it, hardly anyone will know it isn't a plaster pool.

I don't know if you know about this or not, so I'll mention it anyways.
Florida is well known for it's high water table. If the pool isn't constructed properly in FL and other places with very high water tables, , the pool can POP OUT of the ground due to hydrostatic pressure. Google Pool Pop to look into that phenomenon long before you start construction.

Pools are like motorcycles and boats....you're money ahead if you buy your 2nd one first.
I wouldn’t say you’re money ahead, just less money behind. 🤣 if you really wanna be money ahead, buy someone else’s where they are money behind.

I wouldn’t say you’re money ahead, just less money behind. 🤣 if you really wanna be money ahead, buy someone else’s where they are money behind. put the money in the ground.

FIFY

Reactions: Bperry