dielseman

Jul 1, 2017
GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there, I'm looking into building a 7,000 - 10,000 gallon salt water pool with an 8 x 8 spa and would like to get some advice. We're considering pebble tech finish in either grey or black, with flushed spa and sun deck. We are open to a water feature, but want to preserve as much yard space as possible. Would be useful to hear from others regarding best decisions they made and things they wish they had done differently.

I've complied a list of basic questions:
  • What is a good brand of equipment? (Jandy, Hewyard or Pentrair)
  • How many lights do you suggest?
  • Are there any automations we should be looking into?
  • Should we add a built-in pool cleaner? Or just buy a pool robot?
  • Construction advice?
Appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks

Reactions: Mdragger88
Sounds exciting!
I’ll leave most of the equipment detail advice to the other guys aside from making sure you select a salt water chlorine generator that is rated for at least 2x’s your pool’s volume- so at least 20k rated or even better a 40k gal rated system.
Most builders have a brand that they sell/install so that may lead you to one brand over another as you get quotes & references. All of those brands you mentioned offer swcg’s that will work for your pool volume as well as having automation options.

Have you ever had/used an integrated spa before?
They can be pricey to operate in the winter and aren’t usually ready to use on a moment’s notice like a standalone spa (you have to do some pre planning) so most don’t get as much use as initially thought. They are also much more expensive & have less features than a standalone spa.
Something to consider.

Here are some helpful links to get you started 🔗

They are all good. It is Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge.

I prefer Pentair equipment and over the years replaced all my Jandy equipment with Pentair. Jandy is the most DIY hostile company with no support. Hayward is ok, I just find their Omni systems more difficult to understand then Pentair but some people feel the reverse.

Understand the equipment warranty's you will get based on the way you acquire and install the equipment.

Depends on the lights and where they will be placed. Different model lights have different lumens.

With a pool/spa system automation is recommended - Pentair IntelliCenter, Hayward OmniPL or Jandy Aqualink. Your automation, VS pumps, and SWG should all be from the same vendor.

I like my Polaris 380 pressure side cleaner with a booster pump that lives in my pool and runs for 3 hours every morning. Many folks here hoot it down as old inefficient technology. But it just works with periodic maintenance.

Pool robots so far has turned out to be expensive with short lives and expensive repairs. Maybe someday the devices will live up to expectations.

• Construction advice?

Sounds exciting!
I’ll leave most of the equipment detail advice to the other guys aside from making sure you select a salt water chlorine generator that is rated for at least 2x’s your pool’s volume- so at least 20k rated or even better a 40k gal rated system.
Most builders have a brand that they sell/install so that may lead you to one brand over another as you get quotes & references. All of those brands you mentioned offer swcg’s that will work for your pool volume as well as having automation options.

Have you ever had/used an integrated spa before?
They can be pricey to operate in the winter and aren’t usually ready to use on a moment’s notice like a standalone spa (you have to do some pre planning) so most don’t get as much use as initially thought. They are also much more expensive & have less features than a standalone spa.
Something to consider.

Here are some helpful links to get you started 🔗

Yes, I have used an integrated spa before. Are you saying they don't get ready as fast because the water from the pool also makes its way into the spa? What other features are not available that you can get in a standalone spa? We we're considering raising the spa 18 inches. Thanks,

Are you saying they don't get ready as fast because the water from the pool also makes its way into the spa?
Yes. Or the spa wasn't heating continuously like a stand alone hot tub would, so some inconvenience is expected when you decide you want to use it on a whim.
What other features are not available that you can get in a standalone spa?
About 3 dozen jets per seat. A built in spa is aesthetic, and for entertaining IMO. With a couple friends laughing and cajoling, nobody will realize they are sharing a handful of jets while sitting on concrete. Even just warm water is nice, but built ins pale in comparison to the full spa experience of a stand alone.

Built ins are stunning to look at though, which you'll be doing 99% of the time for either spa.

Yes, I have used an integrated spa before. Are you saying they don't get ready as fast because the water from the pool also makes its way into the spa? What other features are not available that you can get in a standalone spa? We we're considering raising the spa 18 inches. Thanks,
The pool & spa are essentially 1 body of water. Even though they can be isolated from one another they will still need to mix multiple times per day to keep the spa sanitary if they are integrated.
For chemistry maintenance purposes this is very convenient but for heating purposes this can be somewhat inconvenient & expensive depending upon the pool’s water temperature.
Here’s one of several good threads on the subject 👇

Reactions: Newdude
I like Pentair, though I've never used any other. They offer an IntelliChlor (SWG) and IntellipH (acid dispenser) combo that work in tandem and do a great job at reducing my weekly maintenance. There are other solutions and brands for these functions, but none that work together as well as Pentair's.

That depends on the shape and size of the pool, but if I had more than one, I'd insist each be wired separately back to the equipment pad. That way, I could wire them together if I wanted to, or to separate switches to allow me to adjust the ambiance of the lighting. Maybe I'd want to light just the spa, or just the main pool, or just the lights going one way but not the other, etc. You many never want any of that, but it's pretty inexpensive to leave the options open. And I'd insist on low-voltage. With low-voltage LEDs, there is no longer any reason to put 120V into your water.

I wouldn't own a pool without automation (but I'm an automation nut, so I'm biased). Your main filter pump, your salt water generator and your automation controller should all be of the same brand. Those items "talk" to each other and give each other feedback that you won't get if you mix and match brands.

People here love their robots, but I wouldn't use one if you gave it to me. They currently don't have a great longevity record (3-5 years), and they are expensive and not particularly repairable. Worse, for me, is the cord running across the deck. Plus, you have to haul them out to clean the small dirt receptacle, which means probably getting wet, and they are heavy. It is said they sweep your pool the best, and can clean the walls and even the edge tile, but there is some debate here about how well they actually do that. Plus, it's 120V in your water. No thanks.

I love my suction-side vac. Yes, it connects to the wall with a hose, but it's not on the deck. The crud collects in the filter pump basket, which is easy to clean out. No lifting! It can stay in the pool 24-365 without any fuss, but if I want to pull it out for a large group of swimmers, it's very light, so easy to do. I wouldn't call them cheap, but they are way less expensive than a robot and can be easily DIY repaired when needed.

• Construction advice?
1. Home run each return and each skimmer back to the pad (each on their own pipe) so that you can have full control over each, or be able to shut one down should it develop a problem.
2. Just about every builder in the US will design in floor drains. Ditch them. They are not needed, at all. (I heard they've been outlawed in Australia.) They are a throwback to old pool technology that have long since outlived their purpose. They were once used for cleaning, which is moot with a vac. And you wouldn't use them to drain your pool, on the rare chance you'd ever need to. They are just a hazard (entrapment, though they are much safer now), an eyesore, and an obstacle for cleaners and brushing. Two thumbs down.
3. Personally, I would have a stand-alone spa before an in-pool one. In-pools are basically an uncomfortable concrete box, with a hard, flat, rough concrete bench, and a handful of jets to dig holes in your lower back. A stand-alone is a true spa, with comfy, form-fitted smooth fiberglass lounges and jets everywhere: feet, neck, back, etc. Huge price difference, too. I know people love the look of an in-pool, with the spillover, but, IMO, they are all form-over-function.
4. Same for sun decks. I lounge near my pool, and swim in it. I don't like to mix the two. I want to lay on a dry towel, with a little pillow, next to a side table with my drink and a snack and a book or a tablet and my phone, none of which works well, or at all, over 6" of water. Again, I know people love their sundecks, I just would never have a use for one. Plus, depending on the depth and the type of cleaner, the cleaner won't get up on the deck to clean it, which means you'll have to.
5. As much as possible, be sure your lights face away from your house, and/or where you'll most often be sitting at night by the pool. You don't want lights on the other side, pointing at your eyeballs. But if you have to have lights on both sides of your pool, that's another reason to wire them separately. When you have swimmers in the water, you want to light it up. But if you're just enjoying the pool from the house, or from a lounge chair, it'd be nice to turn on only the bank of lights that face away from you, for a little ambiance without the glare.
6. Get a saltwater generator. You'll thank me later. No UV gizmos. No ultraviolet gizmos. Just a simple, easy-to-maintain saltwater pool is all you need.

Pardon the criticism of your design choices, just my 2¢.

Edit: Ha, ha, I read others' posts after I wrote mine. You can see we share some opinions! But hey, you're looking for consensus, right?

Last edited:
The part that’s in the water is low voltage. For maytronics dolphins its 29v dc.
You're right, of course, I didn't word that thoroughly. It's a big black cord plugged into a 120V exterior outlet (even though there is a transformer involved), which is subjected to elements, kids, chewing animals, etc. I know that's all farfetched, it just feels too creepy to me. I also realize even low voltage lighting is wired up to a box with 120V and 240V lurking around, but it's contained in a metal box that is not so easily accessed, and the wiring is all "safe" underground in conduit, etc (except for rodents!!). Both systems are GFI protected, but GFI is not infallible.

I recall a story by Mike Holt, a foremost expert on pool electrical wiring, and he claimed he didn't have any pool lights in his own pool, and wouldn't ever. But pool lights are kind of a necessary evil, as one could argue that swimming in an unlit pool at night is way more dangerous than the small risk posed by a pool light (especially a low voltage one). Of course, you could safeguard a robot by only putting it into the water as needed, and only when no one is in the pool. But who does that?

You could also argue that a suction-side vac has it's own potential danger (it utilizes a couple of suction ports in your pool). So there's that. (I safeguard mine by only running it at night.)

Bottom line, pools are dangerous. You gotta build 'em just so, and wire them just so, and plumb them just so, and then surround them with a fence, just to make them slightly less dangerous! So you do your best to understand all the potential dangers, and decide on which ones are worth it.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I generally agree with what’s been said above. Per @Aqua-Holics, if you provide a pool layout and plumbing plan, that would allow more focused recommendations and advice.

Depending on your soil conditions and contour of your pool area, consider obtaining a soils report and having a structural engineer design your pool structure.

Oversize your SWCG and filter and heater - recommend getting the largest available that you can afford; layout your equipment pad with future maintenance in mind including freeze protection; being Georgia, you may not need a chiller - if you think you will, make sure you plumb and allow plenty of pad space for that large piece of equipment. Recommend installing surge protection on your pool equipment.

Recommend testing your pool water source and potentially tying your pool automatic water filler into your house water softener if needed.

Even if you want to start with a robot (would recommend the Dolphin S200 if you do) I would plumb for a pressure side cleaner to give you that option in the future.

Pay attention to the steps leading to your sun deck and from your sun deck to the main pool - make sure they are comfortable to navigate with a reasonable rise per step. Recommend a minimum 4’ pool depth.

Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: Dirk and Mdragger88
In addition to pricing being all over the place, everyone has a different preference of equipment. So it even harder to really determine pricing. I am trying to determine between Pentair and Jandy. What are the thoughts? I've seen very conflicting things about Heyward.

I am trying to determine between Pentair and Jandy. What are the thoughts? I've seen very conflicting things about Heyward.

Pentair every day. Hayward a close second. Builders like to sell Jandy due to what they make on them. Jandy not consumer friendly especially for DIY types.

If you go with Pentair (which I use and like), be sure you and the builder are on the same page regarding the warranty. Read Pentair's warranty thoroughly BEFORE you purchase even one thing. The last time I did, this is how it worked. With a few exceptions, if you buy three certain things from Pentair at the same time, on the same invoice, you get the extended three-year warranty. And everything else you buy from Pentair, on that same invoice, also gets the extended warranty.

The builder then applies for the warranty in your name.

Most everything you'll buy is expensive, and some of the items are in the multi-thousand-dollar range. You want that three-year warranty, so you want the purchase done correctly.

If you go with Pentair (which I use and like), be sure you and the builder are on the same page regarding the warranty. Read Pentair's warranty thoroughly BEFORE you purchase even one thing. The last time I did, this is how it worked. With a few exceptions, if you buy three certain things from Pentair at the same time, on the same invoice, you get the extended three-year warranty. And everything else you buy from Pentair, on that same invoice, also gets the extended warranty.

The builder then applies for the warranty in your name.

Most everything you'll buy is expensive, and some of the items are in the multi-thousand-dollar range. You want that three-year warranty, so you want the purchase done correctly.
Thanks. So basically Pentair is 2+3 warranty. If builder will only use Jandy, what do you think? I used Jandy before.

Not sure what "2+3 warranty" means. Pentair offers up to three years, depending on how you buy, which items and who installs. I don't know Jandy, I've only used Pentair. Jandy has a one year warranty, with some items covered for 3 years (like pumps). Their warranty is online. It's been said here Jandy vs Pentair is like Ford vs Chevy. Both fine product lines. I know Jandy is not DIY-friendly. If you DIY with Pentair, you can eek out some warranties, mostly shorter ones. With Jandy, you get no warranty at all unless professionally installed by a Jandy guy.

The other thing I neglected to do when purchasing equipment is to fully understand what things did, and what I'd want, vs allowing my pool guy to give me what he thought I should have. I should have studied here (just as you are doing) and I should have read the manuals, especially for the automation controller. They come in many levels of capabilities. I should have first decided what I wanted to be able to do with automation, then selected the best model for the job. My pool guy selected a good pump for me, and I already had the right filter and heater, but I bought the wrong controller.

Pour over the reviews and manuals.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.