How do I clean this?

You can mix 1/4 mix of Muratic acid and water and carefully spray the area with a spray bottle. Turn pool off so no water is spilling over. Wear gloves and do when not windy. Acid can hurt. Even diluted. Wait a few mins and a run with a pool brush. You have water getting behind your tiles forcing out calcium it is common on spill overs etc or water features. Also monitor your calcium. Could be too low and being pulled out of the walls. This is common. You can use a sequestriant such as jacks megenta or purple stuff as normal dosage to keep this under control. Buy on Amazon and add a bit every few weeks. Welcome to pool ownership. It's like a boat. It will cost $ and if you take care of it properly it will save you in the long run. Scale remover will only work if you get the water level higher then the build up on it. It's most likely efflorescence from water that got back behind the tile. The acid and water mix usually will work. Can take a few applications. Best of luck

Reactions: Bperry
It is the tile around the waterfall edge that spills over from the raised hot tub into the pool. Again, the plaster in the hot tub and pool is less than a year old so I'm guessing it is just water getting behind the tile around the waterfall. Or it could be the coping joint in the hot tub that faces that direction. I'll take a closer look now that I have a clue.

But spraying a little diluted acid on it every now and then isn't the worst thing in the world given all of the other upkeep required!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is the tile around the waterfall edge that spills over from the raised hot tub into the pool. Again, the plaster in the hot tub and pool is less than a year old so I'm guessing it is just water getting behind the tile around the waterfall. Or it could be the coping joint in the hot tub that faces that direction. I'll take a closer look now that I have a clue.

But spraying a little diluted acid on it every now and then isn't the worst thing in the world given all of the other upkeep required!
Water getting behind tile is a leak. 😉 The age of the plaster/tile doesn’t matter so much. Cracks and leaks can happen to even when new.

The acid thing is ok for temporary use but long term it’s going to wear down the grout and make it fail.

Very interesting. Spraying with diluted muriatic acid did the trick.
Yes it works. However it is moisture behind there it will come back after a bit. It's very very common. Re tile on pools is very tricky. I have a feeling you have water back behind there from either the job itself or a crack somewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.