Wisconsin
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
Now that I’ve got my SWG up and running in my 17k gallon indoor inground pool with an automated cover, I want to tackle some deep cleaning and need recommendations.

The pool is 14 years old, I purchased the house last fall and had many issues with less than optimal care from the previous owner and pool company.

My water is balanced now and crystal clear.

I have some corrosion issues on the edge of the coping. I’ll include pictures. There’s white crusty/chalky build-up as well as a lot of blue shock granules with copper that the previous owner was using regularly.

The coping looks like painted metal I believe.

IMG_8167.jpeg

This is by the corner stairs. You can see all the build up in the pool cover recess and along the edge of the coping/paint.

IMG_8166.jpegIMG_8165.jpegIMG_8168.jpeg

The amount of buildup on the coping is less on some areas like above.

Suggestions on what I can use to clean this (Simple Green, Dawn dish soap, etc.) and what to use (a scrub brush or what)?

Also on the end of pool where the pool cover sits when it’s retracted (fully open) has a lot of crud and brown water that my sits in this recess. I want to get rid of all of this. What should I clean this with?
IMG_8169.jpegIMG_8170.jpegIMG_8171.jpegIMG_8172.jpegIMG_8173.jpeg

There even some areas like above where it’s eaten it’s way through this metal base that the cover sits on. And has lots of white/brown buildup.

Thoughts on how best to clean all of this?

And what’s the best to use to scrub/clean the vinyl liner while I have the pool full? The liner is 14 years old, but no leaks so I don’t need to replace it now but I want to try to get it as nice looking as I can.

Thanks!

You need to determine what type of metal you’re cleaning first.
Aluminum requires different care than iron/steel.
The painted stuff may need to be sanded/stripped then repainted. You don’t want stuff flaking off in the pool. That project may be better left for when its liner replacement time.
You’ll need to use care to not get any of the cleaning agents in the pool.
The one bar in the pic near the cover that’s orange/rusty - is it steel or just the screws have rusted? What does it do/whats its function? Maybe look into replacing that piece & the screws to stop the rusting.
As for the liner just brush & vac regularly with a plastic/nylon bristle brush that’s not too stiff. The adequate chlorine in the pool will be all the cleaning agent you need.
Lets ask @YippeeSkippy what she cleans her auto cover box & rails with.
Here’s what the wiki says

Hey there- my cover manual says to clean out and under the track with hose spray at least monthly. You, on the other hand, don't want to wash or scrub off that build up in to your pool- so you're gonna have to get creative I think?

My first idea: Perhaps one of those big fat scrubbie with a smile on its face scrubbers, and holding a wide dustpan underneath get in there and scrub it all off and collect for trash? Obviously you would ideally be in the pool to do this. Move around the track and see if that helps? It looks like a lot of calcium type scale build up to me? The edge also looks like it was once painted?? Or am I wrong? Something is peeling.

On my fiberglass pool its just pool water and elbow grease when I'm cleaning up the side water line that gets dirty. I would not use any of the cleaners you list. There are a few hot tub cleaner sprays I've used once or twice, but not really getting it in to the water.

I don't understand why those brass/metal? bars are tacked down where they are?? They don't look to serve any function that I can see?

Can you give us some pics of the entire pool, ect? How's the cover vault looking?

Maddie 🇮🇹

Reactions: Mdragger88