Disgusted and Confused on What to Do Next

If I'm counting right, the OP has gone through about 23 jugs with 9 more on hand and everyone in Livingston will have dingy underwear next week. I may have double counted a few, but at any rate, this OP seemed to really respond to instructions; and focused on the SLAM once she got going, but added much more chlorine per gallon of water than the individual on another thread who had a 3-yr uncovered pool SLAM'd during this same interval before. That other pool had gobs and gobs of algae. It must have started out like soup, but started holding some FC way easier than this pool with only cloudy water.

I'm glad she asked about the 9 gallons left, because I was thinking the same thing!

So is any other newbies like me confused at what's happening here? Does something like this happen from time to time? Or is this pretty usual?

I SLAM'd mine last night for the first time (using the TFP SLAM method). I caught my cc's early and maybe that's why, but my FC went up almost exactly as the calculator showed; passed all three SLAM tests. Not bragging; just trying to understand

If I'm counting right, the OP has gone through about 23 jugs with 9 more on hand and everyone in Livingston will have dingy underwear next week. I may have double counted a few, but at any rate, this OP seemed to really respond to instructions; and focused on the SLAM once she got going, but added much more chlorine per gallon of water than the individual on another thread who had a 3-yr uncovered pool SLAM'd during this same interval before. That other pool had gobs and gobs of algae. It must have started out like soup, but started holding some FC way easier than this pool with only cloudy water.

I'm glad she asked about the 9 gallons left, because I was thinking the same thing!

So is any other newbies like me confused at what's happening here? Does something like this happen from time to time? Or is this pretty usual?

I SLAM'd mine last night for the first time (using the TFP SLAM method). I caught my cc's early and maybe that's why, but my FC went up almost exactly as the calculator showed; passed all three SLAM tests. Not bragging; just trying to understand

Not sure of what my problem was; maybe not enough bleach right off and waiting too long between. I think I am on track now and will be posting my next result shortly (at about 4:00) from an additional amount I put in at 3:30. Also my pool is about 15,000 gallons and 27" x 52" round, with cartridge filter and it is over 95 degrees here so maybe this made a difference? not sure but glad you got yours whipped so quickly.

Something in the water was consuming to the chlorine as soon as it was put it in. Every SLAM is different depending on what is growing in the pool, how long it was growing, and other environmental factors. My first slam took 10 days and I stop counting bleach bottles because it was super overwhelming - lol! Even still I've learned the daily organics in my pool from the environment, location, heat, etc requires more maintenance than others.

Great question though and it's so good to follow other SLAM threads to see the different problems.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something in the water was consuming to the chlorine as soon as it was put it in. Every SLAM is different depending on what is growing in the pool, how long it was growing, and other environmental factors. My first slam took 10 days and I stop counting bleach bottles because it was super overwhelming - lol! Even still I've learned the daily organics in my pool from the environment, location, heat, etc requires more maintenance than others.

Great question though and it's so good to follow other SLAM threads to see the different problems.

[emoji176] Lisa P.

Ok, thank goodness. I was beginning to wonder if I would ever see higher FC numbers. Feel a bit better now, after reading that others put in so much bleach. My hubby thinks I am going crazy. I am on my way to get more bleach. Will be back and continue the effort and post results. Thanks.

gregsfc - One of the most important parts of a SLAM is the Maintain. This seems to be the hardest part for folks to understand. You have to test your FC often, every 2 hours is considered good at the beginning, and add chlorine as needed to Maintain your SLAM level FC. If you don't, then the required time to get the pool clear and ready for OCLT is extended.
Also, the AA treatment can sometimes cause adverse reaction with chlorine. I know that when I did it to my pool, my FC dropped to 0 and it took 10 gals of bleach to get it to hold so that my SWG could keep up.
Lastly, the bleach, although it had a good date, the store might have stored it improperly. It looses it's punch from heat and time.

Results of last addition of 3 gallons of bleach at 4:45 - Tested FC at 6:00 - FC 20 :party:. CC is still at 1.5. My next course of action, if I am reading correctly, should be as follows:

1. At about 7:00 I will put in 3 gallons more bleach and brush. Then I figure I will clean/change filter (I have 2 filters and alternate them).
2. After changing filter I will test FC again - probably about 8:00.
3. Tomorrow morning before sun hits pool, I will test FC again and if I lost more than 1.0 of FC, I should continue SLAM by adjusting back to 20.

Please, please, please someone let me know if this is right and if you want to add anything to this. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The excessive chlorine consumption will have most likely been due to the three AA treatments -- 9 lbs.

Ascorbic acid and chlorine fight each other. Now the chlorine has gotten the upper hand.

Try to do an overnight chlorine loss test tonight and tell us how the water looks -- if its clearing. Keep it up til you pass that.

Good plan! :goodjob:

Yeah!:D

- - - Updated - - -

The excessive chlorine consumption will have most likely been due to the three AA treatments -- 9 lbs.

Ascorbic acid and chlorine fight each other. Now the chlorine has gotten the upper hand.

Try to do an overnight chlorine loss test tonight and tell us how the water looks -- if its clearing. Keep it up til you pass that.

Will do. I plan to take the FC test about 8:00 (about an hour after I add another 3 gallons of bleach in tonight). Will take again in morning before sun hits pool and will see if the water looks clearer. Thanks.

Okay, i read up on the Metal Free...did you follow these instructions re: vacuuming to waste? http://cdn.lesliespool.com/wpdf/stainremoval.pdf

After your slam, I'll suggest a different sequestrant to try...I find it curious that this product insists on vacuuming to waste and suggests adding a filter aid. For those reasons alone, I'd avoid it.

We'll wait til you're done your slam, but next time I suggest you try Metal Magic to sequester any metal that is oxidized from your slam and reduce any mild staining. That way, you can avoid the problems from the low FC with the AA treatment.
I'll tell you more once you're finished up.

Ps I also just read the Msds sheet for metal free...its active ingredient is citric acid.

Don't worry if you don't pass OCLT tonight, I just though if you've caught it early enough you might be done fast.

If the OCLT is good (less than 1 ppm) but the water is still cloudy, we can take a deeper look at the Metal Free impact.

Ok, thank goodness. I was beginning to wonder if I would ever see higher FC numbers. Feel a bit better now, after reading that others put in so much bleach. My hubby thinks I am going crazy. I am on my way to get more bleach. Will be back and continue the effort and post results. Thanks.

My hubby thought so too! But now he is super impressed with my knowledge and how great the pool looks. [emoji173]️

[emoji176] Lisa P.

One thing I noticed is it doesn't seem you are using pool math to determine how much bleach to add. Now that your FC is holding, save your bleach by only adding what pool math suggests. If it's the evening dose, or another time you're going to be away, then you can over shoot, but you don't ever want to get above mustard shock level. It won't be good on your equipment. Have you checked out pool math on the website yet?

[emoji176] Lisa P.

Okay, i read up on the Metal Free...did you follow these instructions re: vacuuming to waste? http://cdn.lesliespool.com/wpdf/stainremoval.pdf

After your slam, I'll suggest a different sequestrant to try...I find it curious that this product insists on vacuuming to waste and suggests adding a filter aid. For those reasons alone, I'd avoid it.

We'll wait til you're done your slam, but next time I suggest you try Metal Magic to sequester any metal that is oxidized from your slam and reduce any mild staining. That way, you can avoid the problems from the low FC with the AA treatment.
I'll tell you more once you're finished up.

Ps I also just read the Msds sheet for metal free...its active ingredient is citric acid.

Don't worry if you don't pass OCLT tonight, I just though if you've caught it early enough you might be done fast.

If the OCLT is good (less than 1 ppm) but the water is still cloudy, we can take a deeper look at the Metal Free impact.

It wasn't called Metal Free - It was called Metal Control. They gave me the kind for my pool and I followed directions carefully. It did not call for vacuuming out to waste.

One thing I noticed is it doesn't seem you are using pool math to determine how much bleach to add. Now that your FC is holding, save your bleach by only adding what pool math suggests. If it's the evening dose, or another time you're going to be away, then you can over shoot, but you don't ever want to get above mustard shock level. It won't be good on your equipment. Have you checked out pool math on the website yet?

[emoji176] Lisa P.

I am using the Pool Math chart and realize that since the FC is holding I should only put in what Pool Math suggests but since today was the first day I got upward results I just wanted to make sure I got to that FC 20 mark as quickly as possible, and with all I put in it took all day. I put in the last 3 gallons for today at 7:00 and just took FC test at 8:00. FC is 27 and CC is 1.0. I am stopping for the night and hope that in the morning when I take the FC test it has held and my water looks better. thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Just for everyone's information here is my todays readings:

11:30 4 gallons bleach - FC 7.0 at 12:30
2:15 3 gallons bleach - FC 14.0 at 2:45
3:20 3 gallons bleach - FC @18.0 at 4:00 (CC @ 1.5)
4:45 3 gallons bleach - FC @20.0 at 6:00 (CC @ 1.5)
7:00 3 gallons bleach - FC @27.0 at 8:00 (CC @ 1.0)

I will see what the FC is before sun hits water tomorrow morning. Praying for no or very little loss in FC and clear water. :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

NIGHT ALL - WILL BE BACK IN THE MORNING. THANK YOU ALL FOR EVERYTHING!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.