Disgusted and Confused on What to Do Next

First, take the pucks back out as your CYA is fine unless you have a salt water generator (SWG) which you didn't list in your signature.

You have a vinyl pool. Don't worry about your CH. it's fine.

You need to slam your pool. Do you know what that is? If not, see: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Do you know how to determine your target level for the slam? ( 20ppm ) If not, see: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

TA is high but let's deal with that later. Only worry about FC and CC for now.

Keep asking questions!

Mkaklis, really good start! I have a few suggestions:

1. Get your pH to 7.2 and get your FC up to 20 ppm and keep it at 20 by testing at least twice per day. The more you test, the faster this will go.
2. Take the Chlorinator pucks out. Your CYA is already 50 you don't want anymore! Don't lower your CYA, 50 is a very manageable level.
3. Stop adding Borates for now...You need to concentrate on the SLAM!
4. You do not need any Calcium as you have a vinyl liner...

Thanks. One thing though, I have put in about 4 gallons of bleach (2 at first then another 1/2 each night) trying to get the FC up but when I test it never seems to go higher then .5 or 1.0 so how am I to get to that 20?

Ok, everyone, thank you for alll the help and advice. I am now going to start the SLAM process by adding what the Pool Math Calculator to add the amount in 8.25%bleach to get my FC shock level to 20 as in the chart. I will keep testing until CC is 0.5 or lower. One question - I have sent my hubby for more bottles of bleach (I only have about 2-1/2 gallons left and to start I need at least 3-1/2) but I do have a lot of Dichloro shock granule 1 lb. packs left and several Trichloro pucks ( I figured on stopping the use of these and using the TFP method of bleach, baking soda and borax from now on). But can I use the granules in this procedure along with the bleach or would it be best not to and to just stick to the 8.25% bleach?

Ok, everyone, thank you for alll the help and advice. I am now going to start the SLAM process by adding what the Pool Math Calculator to add the amount in 8.25%bleach to get my FC shock level to 20 as in the chart. I will keep testing until CC is 0.5 or lower. One question - I have sent my hubby for more bottles of bleach (I only have about 2-1/2 gallons left and to start I need at least 3-1/2) but I do have a lot of Dichloro shock granule 1 lb. packs left and several Trichloro pucks ( I figured on stopping the use of these and using the TFP method of bleach, baking soda and borax from now on). But can I use the granules in this procedure along with the bleach or would it be best not to and to just stick to the 8.25% bleach?
A SLAM is not just about getting your CC to 0.5ppm or less.

There are three criteria to complete a SLAM:
1) CC is 0.5ppm or less
2) The water is clear
3) You can pass an OCLT

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl?styleid=1

Do not use the Dichlolr, it adds CYA faster than Trichlor.

How long are you waiting to test after you add chlorine?

How much bleach did you get?

Dom

add the amount in 8.25%bleach to get my FC shock level to 20 as in the chart. I will keep testing until CC is 0.5 or lower.
That wording concerns me. Your CC's has almost nothing to do with the SLAM. You have no reason to test for CC's until your water is crystal clear and you believe you have finished the SLAM.

What you DO test for is FC......that's the critical part that everyone misses...test and get back to 20 ppm, test and get back to 20 ppm, test and get back to 20 ppm.

You must keep adding chlorine constantly to keep your FC at 20 ppm.

You will need gallons and gallons of bleach......it will not go to waste. 30 gallons is not too much.

Leave the dichlor and trichlor in their containers. Don't worry you can use them later but just use bleach for this SLAM.

In the beginning of my SLAM, I texted and added chlorine EVERY HOUR when I was home. If i had to be gone (work, errands, etc), I would bump it even more to maintain the SL as long as possible while I was gone. It's effort, but it's worth it!

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, I did mean that I would test the CC when done with the SLAM. I just put in the 3-1/2 gallons of bleach that Pool Math calculator said. I will test the FC in about an hour and add more every hour or so until the FC reaches 20. Once that point is reached I will look at the "You are done when" section for the CC, the OCLT losst test and the water clear point. Am I on course now?

OK, I did mean that I would test the CC when done with the SLAM. I just put in the 3-1/2 gallons of bleach that Pool Math calculator said. I will test the FC in about an hour and add more every hour or so until the FC reaches 20. Once that point is reached I will look at the "You are done when" section for the CC, the OCLT losst test and the water clear point. Am I on course now?

Just be sure that the FC reaches and stays at 20. I always add more than the PC says for insurance...

Yes, Mike 1162, it has been an hour and I measured FC, which is now at 2.5, so I added another 3 gallons of 8.25% bleach and will check again in another hour or so. Looks like I will have to go for more bleach. I had 3 gallons left this morning and bought another 10 gallons but only have 6 left and it looks like it will take another 10 or 20 gallons to get to that FC level of 20 that I need.

Sounds like you're on the right track. I know it seem like a bottomless chlorine pit right now, but once your FC starts to hold it won't seem so insane LOL.

In the early stages of a SLAM don't be afraid to overshoot your target 25% or so, it will help to be above/at target that little bit longer.

Dont worry, when your SLAM is done you'll love your TFPC pool.

Dom

Don't wait an hour - check your level 10 or 15 minutes after addition, to see if you have numbers similar to what PoolMath says you should have from the addition of bleach. The idea is to get the level up to 20 quickly, and then keep it there for an extended time. Ideally, you'd want your pool to stay at shock level 24/7. Being human, with other commitments, we do the best we can toward that goal.

If you don't get your goal FC level shortly after adding bleach, maybe your bleach is weak (bleach loses strength with age and high temperature storage). If levels go up appropriately right after addition, but then are way down to almost nothing again just an hour later, you have an unusually high chlorine demand, for some reason.

Don't wait an hour - check your level 10 or 15 minutes after addition, to see if you have numbers similar to what PoolMath says you should have from the addition of bleach. The idea is to get the level up to 20 quickly, and then keep it there for an extended time. Ideally, you'd want your pool to stay at shock level 24/7. Being human, with other commitments, we do the best we can toward that goal.

If you don't get your goal FC level shortly after adding bleach, maybe your bleach is weak (bleach loses strength with age and high temperature storage). If levels go up appropriately right after addition, but then are way down to almost nothing again just an hour later, you have an unusually high chlorine demand, for some reason.

The bleach is new and I am keeping it inside. It says on the Pool School not to do not more then once an hour but not less then twice a day. I may be wrong but every 10 or 15 minutes seems a bit much so I was thinking every 45 min - an hour would be good.

Well, I didn't mean every 10 to 15 minutes around the clock, just initially to see if the bleach is doing what it should by checking FC shortly after addition. Putting in 3 1/2 gallons of 8.25, and being at 2.5 FC an hour later sounds unusual.

How do you know the bleach is new? Did you check the date code on it? Some stores have been known to sell old/weak bleach. I didn't mean you had done anything wrong in handling the bleach, but we don't know what the people who sold it to you did...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.