Disgusted and Confused on What to Do Next

That test is HARD for me too! I usually do it two or three times - you can put the mixed water back in, mix it again, and retest. I use the average.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know, thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, and wait until the dot disappears.

Trouble is I stare at it so hard it is hard I think I can still see it even it has really disappeared. It is kind of like staring at a light bulb then closing your eyes and still seeing it. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I think everyone hates the cya test. Hopefully someone can invent another way someday!

Would love that!

Well, you are pleasant to work with! This site helped me so much too! It was a true blessing for sure!

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1. This has been a real fight for sure and hats off for seeing this through! GREAT JOB! And thanks so much for your great reports back; I know this has taken a real effort; alot of time; and very frustrating, but everyone has learned and is still learning so much from your experience.

I don't know, with how little I understood about SLAMing before this thread, if I would have hung it there like she did when if I were getting 2.5-FC after all that bleach. I might have thought..."these people are crazy...the bleach ain't working...I'm going back to the pool store and see what they know". The OP didn't do that though. She hung in there and is now going to whoop it. If she had done what I might have done, it likely would have all been all a waste of time, effort and money, and the pool would likely still be in the same shape.

For a while it was like watching a boxing match; the pool was ahead on all judges cards through the first three rounds, and she had gone through two standing eight counts. I was afraid her husband, as her coach/manager or trainer, was going to throw in the towel and have her committed for insanity and it'd all be over. But then she threw a right cross in the fourth round and everything changed; she's now got the upper hand. The coach is probably thinking she can win now. Hopefully, she'll get a knock out and won't have to go the distance.

Yup. The test is frustrating. During a slam especially lean towards the higher value to be safe.

I hope you re-used the same CYA mixture for your second test instead of mixing a new batch. Ask if this comment doesn't make sense.

Not at first but I have been now.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a video to elp: Testing Cyanuric Acid with the TF-100 - YouTube

If your cya is higher, your target slam value should also be higher. Please look at the cya:chlorine link in my signature below.

Yes, I have checked the cya:chroline chart and increased target on pool math accordingly. Thanks for the video.

- - - Updated - - -

+1. This has been a real fight for sure and hats off for seeing this through! GREAT JOB! And thanks so much for your great reports back; I know this has taken a real effort; alot of time; and very frustrating, but everyone has learned and is still learning so much from your experience.

I don't know, with how little I understood about SLAMing before this thread, if I would have hung it there like she did when if I were getting 2.5-FC after all that bleach. I might have thought..."these people are crazy...the bleach ain't working...I'm going back to the pool store and see what they know". The OP didn't do that though. She hung in there and is now going to whoop it. If she had done what I might have done, it likely would have all been all a waste of time, effort and money, and the pool would likely still be in the same shape.

For a while it was like watching a boxing match; the pool was ahead on all judges cards through the first three rounds, and she had gone through two standing eight counts. I was afraid her husband, as her coach/manager or trainer, was going to throw in the towel and have her committed for insanity and it'd all be over. But then she threw a right cross in the fourth round and everything changed; she's now got the upper hand. The coach is probably thinking she can win now. Hopefully, she'll get a knock out and won't have to go the distance.

Thanks, I guess it is the fact that I am so stubborn - I don't let too much stop me from getting the last word in! Granddaughter and I love having this pool and I have worked so hard at keeping it going for these long hot summers. It is a never ending battle for sure.

This morning, Tuesday, 2/21/15:

6:45 Reading of FC - 18; CC - 1.0, Going with the higher CYA of about 70 now, water is getting really clear now. Put in 2 gallons of bleach. Unfortunately, I will be gone for most of the day today but will pick up at about 5:00 pm this evening. Guess I will have my hubby put in a gallon or 2 during middle of the day today for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Question: I found the Kemtek Liquid Chlorine at Lowe's. Does anyone know how this stuff is compared to the regular Clorox that I have been using (other than it is 10% and the Clorox is 8.25%)? I bought 12 gallons of it thinking it may work a little faster on my SLAM process. Any opinions or knowledge of Kemtek Liquid?

I use kemtek 10% from the grocery store. Should be fine, just check the date code, you don't want anything older than 3 months, roughly. The only problem is that the labelling and cap color is exactly the same as their muriatic acid, so it's easy to grab the wrong bottle....

Question: I found the Kemtek Liquid Chlorine at Lowe's. Does anyone know how this stuff is compared to the regular Clorox that I have been using (other than it is 10% and the Clorox is 8.25%)? I bought 12 gallons of it thinking it may work a little faster on my SLAM process. Any opinions or knowledge of Kemtek Liquid?

It won't speed up the process you just won't have as many bottles laying around. I.e. 4- 128oz. bottles of 12.5=50% bleach and 5- 128oz. bottles of 10% bleach will net you 50% bleach 6 bottles of 8.25% etc. You can change the percentage in pool math to fit whatever level bleach you are using and it will spit out the ounces to use.

I use kemtek 10% from the grocery store. Should be fine, just check the date code, you don't want anything older than 3 months, roughly. The only problem is that the labelling and cap color is exactly the same as their muriatic acid, so it's easy to grab the wrong bottle....

The date code according to the Epoch Chart is day 121, would make it May 1; I got 12 bottles, hope it keeps. I will be keeping it inside.

Trouble is I stare at it so hard it is hard I think I can still see it even it has really disappeared. It is kind of like staring at a light bulb then closing your eyes and still seeing it. ;)

Try looking away for a couple of seconds and then back to see if this helps any.

You can always add the amount you think you need for a certain level and then retest a half hour or so later to see if you reached your goal. If so, it's fresh.

If not, you can calculate the strength by manipulating the % by weight on the top line in PoolMath. Enter your pre-add FC, your post-add FC, and then change the percent until the number of ounces is what you added. That percent is close to what your bleach strength is and you can use it going forward until you use up the batch. I know it's confusing, but it will make more sense if you try it out.

You can always add the amount you think you need for a certain level and then retest a half hour or so later to see if you reached your goal. If so, it's fresh.

If not, you can calculate the strength by manipulating the % by weight on the top line in PoolMath. Enter your pre-add FC, your post-add FC, and then change the percent until the number of ounces is what you added. That percent is close to what your bleach strength is and you can use it going forward until you use up the batch. I know it's confusing, but it will make more sense if you try it out.

Thanks will try that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.