Disgusted and Confused on What to Do Next

Put in 215 oz of borax last night, waited about an hour, then put in 2 gallons 8.25% bleach. This morning pool still cloudy/milky. I haven't had any staining since I did the absorbic acid treatment several weeks ago and then added metal control; just the milkiness. The test results this morning still showed .5 CL and ALK 120 but pH was 7.2 and CYA 70. I will try to send pictures of the water later this morning. Thanks all.

Singingpond, I believe the reason Dave (Duraleigh) recommended that the OP add just one small jug each day, is because without the FAS-DPD portion of a test kit, there is no way to accurately measure the FC above 5 (i.e. 10, 15, 20, etc,) So the OP has no way to accurately know if he/she has the correct FC level to match his/her current CYA. So whenever someone is waiting on their kit to arrive, we typically advise them to simply "maintain status-quo" with anywhere from 1/2 - 1 gallon of bleach each evening to keep things from getting worse. This way at least they have "some" chlorination in the water but they don't over-shoot what is really needed thereby wasting bleach in the process. The HTH kit will at least provide some info regarding the PH and CYA. It's just a temporary measure.

- - - Updated - - -

mkaklis, this mystery will get much clearer when your test kit arrives. Hopefully soon. :)

Ok, I see. I just figured that the HTH kit would give me the FC because it uses the OXO reagent but I am so new to doing this testing, it is hard. I guess at this point all I can do is to put in the 1/2 - gal bleach every night to maintain until I get my TF-100 kit in. I will try to send pictures later this morning.

Hello Mkaklis, you are getting great advice so far. This is a lot of information to take in so read and feel free to ask questions or state what your believe to be true for confirmation. In regards to the staining can you confirm some of the products that you have put into your pool. Have you been purchasing the Pool Startup or Pool Closing kits or an algaecide? Often the algaecides provided at pool stores or in their kits contain copper, this could be the source of your staining. Once you get a good understanding of how to balance your pool and keep it there we can tackle the stains if you like. The first step will be to identify the type of stain and then form a plan to minimize it or remove it as best possible.

Since you are still starting out it is recommended that you add any additional issues or concerns regarding your pool to this thread so that we have a complete picture of your pool and issues.

^the ch test can turn purple before red when you have metals present in the water. The purple flash point, as they call it, is one way to confirm you have metals in the water... If it never turned red...not sure what to make of that ;)

Are you on a well? Do you know the source of your staining? Did the pool store ever actually test for iron and copper...the one thing they can test for?

With metals in the water you might wish to keep your ph a little lower, eg 7.2, because that helps avoid staining.
No not on a well. Pool store did test for metals and had none.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Hello Mkaklis, you are getting great advice so far. This is a lot of information to take in so read and feel free to ask questions or state what your believe to be true for confirmation. In regards to the staining can you confirm some of the products that you have put into your pool. Have you been purchasing the Pool Startup or Pool Closing kits or an algaecide? Often the algaecides provided at pool stores or in their kits contain copper, this could be the source of your staining. Once you get a good understanding of how to balance your pool and keep it there we can tackle the stains if you like. The first step will be to identify the type of stain and then form a plan to minimize it or remove it as best possible.

Since you are still starting out it is recommended that you add any additional issues or concerns regarding your pool to this thread so that we have a complete picture of your pool and issues.
No staining now; just milky water. I used the absorbic acid and metal out and it worked. I did put in a lot of algaecide about 3 weeks ago because we left for a few days and I did not want algae growth as well as the milky water.

No staining now; just milky water. I used the absorbic acid and metal out and it worked. I did put in a lot of algaecide about 3 weeks ago because we left for a few days and I did not want algae growth as well as the milky water.

One more pocuploadfromtaptalk1436985458455.jpg

You're not doing too bad for not having your test kit in-hand yet. Some of what you are doing is a bit of guesswork, but I'm sure the bleach is helping a bit - even in this sweltering heat. I would simply do as Dave and I have recommended earlier. Stick to the bleach each evening in moderation until your kit arrives. With that kit, you will be able to get pin-point accuracy and know for sure how much bleach to add. After that (during a SLAM), it's all about "Maintaining" the SLAM FC based on your current CYA and patience. Let us know when you get that kit!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is your pump running 24/7? Has the pressure been increasing on the filter? Are the filters in good shape?
Pump is running 24/7. Pressure is same as it has always been for past 3 - 4 summers. I use 2 cartridge filters, rotating them each time I clean them. One is new at the beginning od this summer and the other was toward end of last summer.

You're not doing too bad for not having your test kit in-hand yet. Some of what you are doing is a bit of guesswork, but I'm sure the bleach is helping a bit - even in this sweltering heat. I would simply do as Dave and I have recommended earlier. Stick to the bleach each evening in moderation until your kit arrives. With that kit, you will be able to get pin-point accuracy and know for sure how much bleach to add. After that (during a SLAM), it's all about "Maintaining" the SLAM FC based on your current CYA and patience. Let us know when you get that kit!
Texas Splash - my kit shoild come by July 21st so hopefully I will be able ro get those readings and go from there. In the meanwhile I will do as suggested and put some bleach on every evening. My granddaughter and I are both missing getting in that pool on these hot summer days.

Ooh. I can imagine. I lived in Shreveport/Bossier City for a couple years. I know. Hot here in TX too. Hang in there.
Thanks so much. It really helps just being able to talk to someone aboit all these pool problems. So glad I found this site; just wish I would have found it a long time ago. It would have saved me several times over the past few summers.[emoji12]

Thanks so much. It really helps just being able to talk to someone aboit all these pool problems. So glad I found this site; just wish I would have found it a long time ago. It would have saved me several times over the past few summers.[emoji12]

Sorry for all the mistypes. Working from my phone and it is much harder to type then on my home computer.

It is obviously to late for mkaklis. Any lurkers "soon to be converters" please purchase the TF100 from TFP. It supports the website so this can continue. TFP works period!

Thank you duraleigh; I was a bit more confused after reading mboogaard post. I did order my TF-100 kit today from Pool Supply World; they have it for the same prices as TFTest.net but they have free shipping and no tax. I also ordered the XL Option and Borates Strips. I do have an HTH Test Kit that seems to do some of the same thing but I take it that it probably is not as accurate since it was much less in price (about $25.00).

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you pooldv and pogueld.

:D OK experts - I received my TK-100 kit today and carefully read all of the instructions; then I carefully performed each test hoping not to make an error. It was pretty simple but not being an expert at this I am praying that I got the right results. This is the readings I got:

pH - 7.4
FC - 1.0
CC - 3.0
CH - 125
TA - 170
CYA - 50

I have been putting in 1/2 gallon of 8.25% bleach every night and brushing & vacuuming daily. I did notice today for the first time I could see the vacuum in the bottom of the pool and I could see the bottom steps, which I could not see at all a few days ago. They weren't crystal clear and I could barely see them but it is better than a few days ago. So now what should I do. I put these figures in the Pool Math calculator but was a bit confused by what it was telling me so not sure I put all info in correctly or am reading it correctly. It shows the following:

FC - add 67 oz of 8.25% bleach; pH - add 24 oz borax; TA - to lower this reduce pH to 7.0 - 7.2 with acid then aerate to increase pH; CH - add 300 oz of calcium chloride or 392 oz of calcium chloride dehydrate; CYA - lower by replacing with 20% new water.

What should I do?

Mkaklis, really good start! I have a few suggestions:

1. Get your pH to 7.2 and get your FC up to 20 ppm and keep it at 20 by testing at least twice per day. The more you test, the faster this will go.
2. Take the Chlorinator pucks out. Your CYA is already 50 you don't want anymore! Don't lower your CYA, 50 is a very manageable level.
3. Stop adding Borates for now...You need to concentrate on the SLAM!
4. You do not need any Calcium as you have a vinyl liner...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.