AquaPure PLC 1400 - faulty board or salt cell?

Okay so the PLC1400 showing the new 120 code was cleaned this morning with MA, there was some gunk in it, so hoping it's better. So far no codes, but I'll wait 72 hours before saying its fixed.
FWIW, 50 hours later, and the 120 code hasn't reappeared yet, after cleaning the cell.

This gets weirder & weirder the more I watch it. Still have BAD suspicion something's wrong. Did full breaker re-boot at 4:00 pm with plans to spot check screen every 15 minutes or so for a couple hours & keep log. TFP interface evidently won't allow video files so I made attached zip after downsizing quality to keep file size < 5 MB.

It's about 2 minutes worth of the control panel's screen when I went for first 15 minute checkup. Never seen anything quite like it. It's the same thing over & over, but I let it run for a little while in the interest of looking for a time pattern. Here's a summary of what screen shows throughout video at time stamps: where status changes:

0:00 - 65%
0:02 - 0%
0:08 - 65%
0:25 - 0%
0:30 - 65%
0:35 - 0%
0:40 - 65%
1:02 - 0%
1:04 - 65%
1:09 - 0%
1:16 - 65%
1:22 - 0%
1:27 - 65%
1:34 - 0%
1:38 - 65%
1:55 - 0%
2:02 - 65%

The 0% is basically 5 seconds every time, 65% also has some 5 second cycles, but then some longer in the 15-20 second range. At any rate, this can't be normal operation?? Also odd that it showed reversing mode immediately on re-boot as opposed to forward direction, but I'm not worried about that. Anyone ever seen one act like this? It was doing similar when on the phone with Jandy tech support yesterday which is when take make the comment about extreme air temperatures simply causing electronics to act wonky.

And if you do check out the video, pay attention to the status LED's in addition to the screen readout. They jump along with it.

EDIT: Another thing I just noticed. System is at 0% status for approx 40 seconds of the 2 minutes which equates to 33%. Would be 35% based on 65% "on" setpoint. Pure coincidence?

Attachments

• Video.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Load your video to YouTube and post a link to it.

Many of us will not download unknown files.

Reactions: JamesW
I don't have YouTube. It's just an mp4 video, but I completely understand the hesitancy to download. All you'd see is the readout screen jumping between 0% and 65% a bunch of times across a 2 minute time period. That's why I took the time to type a summary log, just in case!

Remote isn't even turned on (and I still have older, basic version; not iAquaLink). Or are you talking about disconnecting the little receiver module with antenna?

One more data point. Went out to check at 500 at the 1 hour after re-boot mark. Now screen shows solid zero not changing at all and chlorine is definitely not generating. Only LED's lit are Power On, Flow, and Cell Reversing. No error codes and system hasn't thrown a single error code I've seen since installing new board.

Remote isn't even turned on (and I still have older, basic version; not iAquaLink). Or are you talking about disconnecting the little receiver module with antenna?

One more data point. Went out to check at 500 at the 1 hour after re-boot mark. Now screen shows solid zero not changing at all and chlorine is definitely not generating. Only LED's lit are Power On, Flow, and Cell Reversing. No error codes and system hasn't thrown a single error code I've seen since installing new board.
Ignore the extra data point. Must've been an overly long 0 hold. Now it's back to 0 & 65 jumps again

I'll check that. I'm assuming I need to kill at breaker first? Don't think it will hurt anything to just unplug, but it probably needs to re-boot as part of process you're suggesting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You may (hopefully!!) be onto something. Here is pic of new installed board but also attaching pic of the connector. Nothing appears to be touching or shorting, but conductor jackets have rotted in a couple places exposing bare wire when viewed up close. System powering back up now without connection, but I'm going to cut back damaged wires & re-do connector while I'm at it. Hopefully part inside the gray jacketing is in good shape.

Edit: Dangit. File size of main board is too big, but I'll post later if still needed.

Attachments

• 20230701_175021.jpg
    20230701_175021.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Wow
Well, after much gnashing of teeth, not to mention MUCH patience / assistance from new friends at TFP, I'm *finally* back to a crystal blue pool with (mostly) operational PLC1400.

Upon inspection of various terminal block wires (not just the one in my pic above), it appears original installer was in massive hurry. More wires than not were visibly nicked at locations where outer jackets were removed from wire bundle. Best I could tell, none were damaged enough to actually short, but I went ahead and carefully re-stripped & re-terminated every single one I could find to be safe.

@JamesW - Oddly enough, connector referenced in your message 89 above was one of the worst. It was already pulled fairly tight since it's such a short run, so that cable was replaced in its entirety. Unfortunately still exhibits same problem when plugged in. Onboard controller randomly resets to 0% and stays there. I did try setting to 100% and it held for over 24 hours, so it seems to be something going wonky somewhere in the on/resting/reversing mode swaps. With the cable unplugged, system has worked flawlessly for about 48 hours.

Couple more followups:

- Any danger to just leaving that wire unplugged? Best I can tell, only lost functionality is seeing and changing Aquapure setpoint via handheld remote, which is no big deal. Same remote still operates everything else in system just fine.

- Still can't figure out mode timing cycles. Forward / reverse is definitely 3 hours, but I can't figure out the cell on / resting in between. To make math easier, say I had it set at 50%. The 3 hour forward period would not be 1.5 hour cell on followed by 1.5 hour resting. It's definitely divided into smaller time blocks. With mine set at 65%, I tried to log roughly every 15 minutes and still couldn't figure it out. :) All throughout the 3 hour period had some on and some resting. I finally gave up since it's obviously working.

What a journey but man I learned tons . . . even on a pool that's almost 10 years old. THANK YOU!!!!!

As a result of those observations I can say:
  • The cycle time is actually 30 minutes. Setting 10% results in 3 minutes on, 27 minutes off, setting 50% results in 15 minutes on 15 minutes off, etc.
  • The Cell reversal switches every 3 hours of continuous running, that is the "cell reversing" light will be off for 3 hours and then on for the next 3 hours. (Perhaps that's where the 3 hour number in the wiki comes from).
  • The Cell reversal also appears to start in the opposite state every time the unit is powered on, but there does not appear to be any memory of were it was in the 3 hour cycle when it last switched off, instead it starts a fresh 3 hour period.

Reactions: Vol4Ever
With the cable unplugged, system has worked flawlessly for about 48 hours.

Any danger to just leaving that wire unplugged? Best I can tell, only lost functionality is seeing and changing Aquapure setpoint via handheld remote, which is no big deal. Same remote still operates everything else in system just fine.
I would probably leave it unplugged.

I don't know why it is having an issue when plugged in.

Are the wires in the correct order?

I would probably leave it unplugged.

I don't know why it is having an issue when plugged in.

Are the wires in the correct order?
Oh yeah. I double and triple checked color order on all the connectors throughout whole system while I was doing re-terminations due to all the wire nicks. Seeing red/black/yellow/green spots in my eyes!!

I joined! Wanted to do gold but had to stick at silver due to recent job loss coupled with all the $$ I've had to spend getting the pool fixed. Maybe someday budgets will pull back in line & I can come back & up to gold. Much appreciated.

I am just about ready to throw something through a wall. After about 2 weeks of perfect operation with new salt cell and new control board . . . the dreaded 123 error rears up, this time in both cell directions. ARRRRRRGGGGGHHH.

Which takes me all the way back to original post title - - is cell or board the culprit? I'm seriously about ready to cry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.