Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solid wood cover for winter

1. Back To Top    #1

Solid wood cover for winter

I was thinking, after too many winters with all the leaves, water, snow and ice on my cover, that this year i would build a plywood cover and put my winter cover on top of that to keep the wood dry.
    Any one else ever done this?
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solid wood cover for winter

One word: WEIGHT

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes,Weight.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

My neighbor built a set of trusses for his pool and puts his blanket over them. They slope downward on one side allowing rain and melting snow/ice to just run off.

18x36 Vinyl IG ~27,000 gal, Intelliflo VF Pump, 300# Sand Filter, Polaris 280 w/Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair EasyTouch w/ IC40 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

There is a BIG difference in Ky's snow loads and Western Pa's.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

Weight was my thought. it was simply going to be some plywood laying flat on the top of the pool, my other design I had thought about was attaching one end to the deck and the other side sitting on some 4x4 posts so that it would be a few inches above the pool and have the cover under that
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

7. Back To Top    #7

Without trusses (beams spanning the pool) it will never hold. Plywood alone is way too flexible. By the time you build something that will be strong enough it will be a major project. It would be simpler to just use a normal cover.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

What about a 16' round trampoline? Kind of like a mesh cover with a built-in frame.
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

Heavy still....Metal Frame...If it was that simple someone would have made million's.just saying..Just the cover with snow,ice,etc is bad enough.You wonder why they don't last..That's why I have just started buying the cheapest cover .Then I just throw away..Plus,the mesh cover will let light in& you don't want that..Dark= nothing growing.lol
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by kplaster
    Plus,the mesh cover will let light in& you don't want that..Dark= nothing growing.lol
    Well, I'm a fan of my Loop Loc mesh cover, so letting light in doesn't bother me.

Anyway, just a thought!
    TF-100 test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by CUTiger78
    Plus,the mesh cover will let light in& you don't want that..Dark= nothing growing.lol
    Well, I'm a fan of my Loop Loc mesh cover, so letting light in doesn't bother me.

Anyway, just a thought!
    Agreed, been through 2 seasons with a loop loc mesh cover and no issues so the light hasn't been a bother. The mesh for me has worked well.

For the wood cover, I guess I'm confused at the reason to go with that solid of a solution. Seems the money you would pay and the time investment wouldn't pay back on chemical savings with a pretty big risk of cost if it collapsed.

Also, Where would you store this thing when not in use?
    16'x32' -> 3' shallow, 8' deep ~22,000 gallon igp - Vinyl Liner.
    Sand Filter: Jacuzzi 225l-7 Sand Filter - 250lbs
    Pump: Hayward Max-Flo XL 1hp
    SWG: CircuPool RJ+ 60
    Water Source: Home Tap water (TA:230, CH:220)

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by radefeld

Anyway, just a thought!
    Agreed, been through 2 seasons with a loop loc mesh cover and no issues so the light hasn't been a bother. The mesh for me has worked well.

For the wood cover, I guess I'm confused at the reason to go with that solid of a solution. Seems the money you would pay and the time investment wouldn't pay back on chemical savings with a pretty big risk of cost if it collapsed.

Also, Where would you store this thing when not in use?
    I was referring to the trampoline..loop-loc mesh cover's are not the same as the trampoline cover..Loop-loc mesh doesnot let sunlight through.Trampoline material does..

13. Back To Top    #13

I was referring to the trampoline..loop-loc mesh cover's are not the same as the trampoline cover..Loop-loc mesh doesnot let sunlight through.Trampoline material does..
    I've been swimming under my loop-loc cover and it sure looked like it was letting sunlight through, but whatever....
    TF-100 test kit.

14. Back To Top    #14

I've been swimming under my loop-loc cover and it sure looked like it was letting sunlight through, but whatever....
    Yes, if you would check info on loop-loc.It block's 100% of sunlight..I don't think I would be swimming under it.Each is on..

15. Back To Top    #15

My only reason for thinking about this is that i have 67 trees in my 1/2 back yard so leaves and rain during fall means i have a cover with a foot of water and leaves on it so i then have a big clean up job before winter comes and then in winter i have the same issue with rain and snow.
    No matter what i do my cover never seems to stay tight fitting it always sinks down until its sitting on the water in the pool, i have put weights all around it but that didnt help.
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

16. Back To Top    #16

Don't think there is much hope.Except,cleaning off during the fall&winter..I believe I would take the blower to it when getting up the leaves through the fall.That's why I don't have tree's.UGG !!!hate the leave's.

17. Back To Top    #17

1) Loop-Loc's Mesh-II cover will let light in. This is the only mesh material for a cover they have. Some other brands have a mesh that will stop light but they weigh a lot more.

2) Loop-Loc's On-Ground covers are stretched tight to the special anchors set around the perimeter of the pool. If there is a deck around the pool, deck anchors are used if 5/4" wood was used. Engineered products cannot be used as they tend to be too soft a material and the anchors will come loose.

3) Tarp style covers are supposed to sit on the water's surface. They are supposed to form a barrier between the pool's water and the elements. If a tree branch pokes a hole in it, the barrier is broken and pool water can get out and weather can get in. There is isn't anything you can do.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC

18. Back To Top    #18

You could put a canopy over the pool in the fall. That would keep most of the leaves and rain out. Might have to take it down before it starts snowing.

19. Back To Top    #19

The original Loop-Loc mesh cover let light in.
    I have the Loop-Loc II cover, and like mentioned before, it lets in very little if any sunlight.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Loop-Loc does advertise that their Ultra-Loc II covers block 100% of sunlight. However that is not literally true. They do block better than 99% of sunlight, which is about the same thing as 100% as far as algae is concerned, but they still let in enough light that you can see. People can see at extremely low levels of illumination, a tiny fraction of 1% is more than enough.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast