Pool Cover Pump

tbeb

Apr 19, 2024
Northern Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
My above ground pool is 16’ x 28’. I use a Little Giant PCP550 which is a manual, 550 GPH pump. Actual GPH exiting a 40 feet long, 5/8” garden hose is about 200 GPH. Please recommend a faster pump that isn’t too heavy for my Arctic Armor winter cover (green top/black bottom, 12-year warranty). Note: I only place pump on cover when needed.

Last edited:
That Little Giant is the standard for even inground pool autocovers. If its slowing down, check the intake as leaves and dreaded pine needles (ugh!) can clog the intake port. I don't know of any others.

Maddie 🇮🇹

That Little Giant is the standard for even inground pool autocovers. If its slowing down, check the intake as leaves and dreaded pine needles (ugh!) can clog the intake port. I don't know of any others.

Maddie 🇮🇹

Nothing is clogging either of the ports. The garden hose is what’s slowing it down. In my opinion the only way my pump might come close to 550 GPH is with no hose attached.

I am using a utility pimp with the blue discharge hose that is normally used for back washing. It works but not great for me since there is a huge bend going over the top. Something like that may work for you if the bend is not too severe.

I used to use a sump pump with a hose until the pump stopped working. I use Arctic Armor winter covers as well with no issues ever. Not sure how heavy the Little Giant pump is but both pumps I've used are/were not extremely heavy.

I am using a utility pimp with the blue discharge hose that is normally used for back washing. It works but not great for me since there is a huge bend going over the top. Something like that may work for you if the bend is not too severe.

I used to use a sump pump with a hose until the pump stopped working. I use Arctic Armor winter covers as well with no issues ever. Not sure how heavy the Little Giant pump is but both pumps I've used are/were not extremely heavy.
My Little Giant pump weighs 3.4 lbs.