Thanks for the responses for the winter cover for Radiant metric27-foot round pool, + a solution for the DIY winter skimmer cover their basket.

arthurdent

May 29, 2022
Central Wisconsin
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Thanks for the replies. I used a 28-foot winter cover, coated wire, and a winch one foot below the upper ridge. Then above the wire, I connected 2-inch nylon tow looped straps tightened with a 2-inch nylon load binder. Be careful not to over-tighten the load binder to put extra load on the side walls. WORKED GREAT.

I drained the water to just below the skimmer. Over the winter, I was unhappy with the amount of snow and ice which accumulated with the extra space vacated by the water.

Unable to find a winter skimmer plate for the skimmer Radiate used. (I contacted Waterways and they do not have a winter cover for their skimmer). BUMMER. So this year I have affixed a thick magnetic flexible plate around the skimmer with silicone. The 0.35-inch flexible sheet is the same type used for removable signs for an automobile door. I simply cut the sheet to fit around the perimeter of the skimmer, leaving a full-sized entry hole. Then I made another blank magnetic sheet, with the magic of magnetism the whole sheet adheres to a water-tight seal. The skimmer entry hole is blocked when it comes time to winterize the pool. To test the concept, I left the assembly in place for 2 weeks before opening the pool. I filled the pool just above the top of the skimmer opening. The skimmer bowl remained BONE DRY. I still used a gizzmo to be extra safe.

Using the DIY skimmer cover with the inflatable pillows should make snow, water, and ice removal very easy this coming winter. The winter cover has a black side up so the ice buildup is easily removed as it does not adhere to the cover. Central Wisconsin winters can now do their worst.

Overall I had to jump through the extra hoops because Radiat did not use the more popular Hayward skimmers. Not a happy camper with their decision to cut costs!!!!!!

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.