Zeolite (I Think) Leaking Into Pool, Even On Recirculate - Solved

Chuck_Davis

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 6, 2010
Durham, NC
I have a Tagelus TA60 sand filter with Pentair multiport valve. I'm using Zeolite instead of sand.

I recently drained my pool, had it sandblasted and then applied new epoxy. After restart I started getting Zeolite (I think) in the pool.

I did a deep clean of the Zeolite, per instructions on TFP, in case it had become channelized. I replaced the spider gasket assembly. No change. With the pump turned off there is no accumulation/leakage, so it's not insect droppings from the overhanging trees.

What's weird is that the Zeolite leaks into the pool even with the multiport valve set to Recirculate. In case the Zeolite had somehow built up in the piping somewhere I ran the pump on high/Recirculate for an hour, but again no change.

While writing this post I did notice the word "sand" in sandblast. I cleaned the main drain sump really well after the sandblasting. It's not impossible, but I doubt what I'm seeing is related to the sandblasting. I do think it is Zeolite that is leaking.

My next step is to remove the Zeolite and inspect/replace the laterals, but I want to check in with the collective wisdom to see if the Zeolite leaking even on Recirculate might indicate some other problem.

Thanks.

Blame it on the eyeballs..................

After I finished applying the epoxy to the pool, I installed new eyeballs and then refilled the pool. I got a really great "swirl" action, and with the eyeballs pointed slightly downward the dirt and debris, including the gritty "Zeolite" leaking from the filter, formed piles in the center of the pool after the pump had been running for an hour or two.

I pushed ahead and replaced the laterals, riser tube and Zeolite in the filter. No change.

Around this same time I put a canvas sun cover on the hot tub. I then saw that the same gritty "Zeolite" was falling out of the trees onto the cover. The crud in the pool was, in fact, insect droppings.

I re-aimed the eyeballs parallel to the surface of the water. I'm still getting the good "swirl", but the "Zeo-poop" isn't visible in piles at the center of the pool anymore. I try not to think about this while swimming.

The robotic cleaner has taken so much insect poop out of the pool that my question at this point is why isn't the tree over the pool just a pile of sawdust?

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.