Z-Wave / Vera / Smartthings Pool Temperature - Solved

Others and I have been asking if we could somehow see our pool temperatures using a smart home controller. I wanted to let the group know that I can confirm at least one configuration that works well. I have a Smartthings hub (v2) but apparently this works with Vera too. Not Wink, from what I'm reading.

If you know the temperature of the pool you can obviously kick off other things such as a timer, text alerts, etc. I do know there are entire systems that are sold that monitor temperature, chlorine levels, etc but my setup works for me now. Nothing is automated in my current setup other than the jumpers on my Intermec timer.

The first item is a Fibaro open/closed door sensor. It's different than the Smartthings sensor in that it can accept an external temperature probe. Pricey, unfortunately, but it's the only one I could find so far. You're obviously not monitoring an open/closed state but it still polls periodically for temperature. I leave the magnet half in a box in the house.
Fibaro Door/Window Sensor

The second item is a DS18B20 waterproof temperature sensor and probe. I used the 3 meter cable. I've found no issues with pool chemicals so far.
DROK DS18B20 3M Probe

Essentially you pair the door sensor to your controller like any other device. With this particular door sensor, you click the bottom button three times quickly. Once it is paired to your controller, wire the probe according to the diagram attached. Click the button on the bottom three times again and it activates the probe connection. At this point you can install the sensor and probe as you see fit.

I was able to mount the probe under my diving board. Just to be safe, I wrapped the sensor in a few layers of press-and-seal but it should never get wet. The cable then goes down in front of my board and behind my pool light. It is about 4 feet under water. Interestingly enough, I've also put the probe in my filter basket and get about the same reading plus or minus half a degree. I'm on the fence which place looks less conspicuous.

Now I can see hourly updates of my pool temperature (more if the temp changes significantly). It's interesting to see my temperature loss during the night. Sad that it's just in time to tell me that the pool will be closing soon. Certainly time to turn on the heater.

Hope this is helpful to everyone!

View attachment 54356
View attachment 54357

Hello,

The Fibaro sensor mentioned in your post no longer exists. I contacted Fibaro and they recommended the Fibaro Universal Binary Sensor https://manuals.fibaro.com/binary-sensor/ however this señor is not available in the US and is only designed for EU Z Wave devises, Can someone recommend another temperature sensor that accepts external analog inputs?

My St V2 Hub recognizes the Fibaro Door / Window Sensor but will I can not get it to read temperature. I also checked the ST "Add Device" menu and can not see an option for self-configuration of my sensor.

- - - Updated - - -

My St V2 Hub recognizes the Fibaro Door / Window Sensor but will I can not get it to read temperature. I also checked the ST "Add Device" menu and can not see an option for self-configuration of my sensor.

Hi I just came across this thread and have been thinking about how to do this as well! Does the Fibaro sensor have some special capability that allows it to take the inputs from the temp sensor? Or is the Vera hub the one interpreting the inputs when setting up this sensor a specific way? I have a Universal Devices ISY for my home Z-wave hub and am hoping I can do something similar. Would love to understand this better. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.