Your build: What would you do differently?

Things I would have done differently:

• Installed variable speed pump - came with single speed - I replaced within few months of install
  • Installed better/larger SWG - came with one too small - I replaced within a few months
  • Installed fountains to run at night to cool pool - pool gets really warm - I use ones that install on returns. Would have liked separate ones.
  • Installed cartridge filter rather than sand - Sand works, but would can see small things, especially at night with lights on. Looking to upgrade this year.

1. Installed Variable Speed (V/S) pump instead of single speed (although, I'm not sure how much of a big deal it is since I have a secondary pump to run Deck Jets and Slide when it gets installed.
2. Probably would've upgraded the plaster. It's currently white which I really like, but I think I would've looked into an upgraded plaster
3. Added a smaller Spa Light on the tanning ledge - gets dark at night
4. Looked at a robot vs a pressure-side cleaner

Think that is all for now..

Wish we did not get a fixed, permanent gas-fired fire pit. We have used it once in the last 15 months (since install). They look a lot cooler on the back side of the pool, and if wood-fired portable, can be moved wherever you like from day to day. But then, I like starting/maintaining real fires and the actual crackling of wood.

Now that I think about it, we could still add one of those, too... :)

Things I wish I had done:

- I wish I would have put in the money to have tile accents on the steps, because without them in the water they're actually very hard to see! :(
- A spa, as now my husband has been talking about getting a stand alone one, but we could have added an in ground one while building the pool! Bleh
- Solar heating for the pool, but can be added later
- Remote control/Automation, but at least this can be added later
- Be more considerate of the pool equipment pad location

Things I'm very happy i did:

- Making the pool large and deep enough for diving! Everyone loves it!
- Making it salt water chlorination. It's so simple and great not having to do pucks/bleach all the time, especially on such a large pool.
- In floor cleaning! I was on the fence for a long time because of mediocre reviews of in floor systems, but I bit the bullet and went for it. It's been great! I have little to no pool maintenance besides emptying the skimmer basket :) Living in AZ, there's very little leafage clutter, so that's why it's easier to have an in floor here I think. It may not be so great in other climates though with tons of leafy trees. I adore mine though. I feel bad for my mother in law who lives nearby, she's always having to clean her pool and lug around a robot in and out, while I do next to nothing for mine. Heh.

Your pool is beautiful. I am currently getting bids and going over PB reviews her in phx. I haven't found anyone that's had the better reviews or has stood out more the the other. I'm curious what builder you used and why you decided on them. Did you every think of a slide for the kids? I'm on the fence on that. Also can you provide me the info of the pool fence installer. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We didn't build ours, but I wish we didn't have a built in gunite table with flagstone top. Everyone thinks it's a cool feature, but it makes a perfect spot for dirt/debris/algae to hide because it's difficult to sweep around, our Polaris cant access it because the cord will tangle around base. We have to keep the cord to the Polaris shorter than we need to avoid the problem. Also would love if our spillover from the hot tub was able to be shut off when the pool is running, our PH isn't manageable because of it. And I would never ever suggest Pentair ColorLogic LED lights. Not dependable and horrible warranty.

Wish I had gone with an Easytouch 8 instead of 4. Only a month or so into pool ownership, along comes an idea for outdoor string lights and the discovery that all of my slots on the 4 are full. I let my PB convince me the 4 was fine, over the suggestions of this board. Rookie mistake....

I'm making do with a cool $40 Siri/Alexa connected outdoor smartplug by iHome, but having everything on the Easytouch would have been better.

I have a fibreglass pool but my two big things are

-Going for a bigger pool and not choosing the wedding cake steps that encroach on the floor area of the pool
-Before finding this site got the standard SWG for my pool size. Gets a hammering in Summer with high pump run times to generate enough chlorine- we get very hot summers- so sizing the SWG to be twice the manufacturer's recommendation. Should be more cost effective when the higher cost for the bigger SWG is taken into account.
Two questions (newbie here). What is SWG? We will have a lot of sun here in NC

Second: what other options besides wedding cake stairs? We have dogs. Would a ramp be better?

The things I would change:
* instead of the 3.5-5-4 foot depth, I would have a 4-5-4 foot depth.
* the infloor cleaning system was a waste of money in a play pool, (nothing cleans bettter than a robot)
* I should have installed a VS pump at build

Things I’m happy I did:
* pool size 16x36
* two skimmers
* two pumps, one on a separate loop for spa
* SWG (largest one Hayward makes)
* large 18 inch deep sun shelf and bench
* huge deck area
* solar heating system

Last edited:
I would have done 2.5" plumbing for suction lines all the way to the pump
Bigger pump (have intelliflo, would have done Intelliflo VSF)
Added one of those swim pumps since our pool isnt very long to where you could swim in place.
I would have added a second feature pump.
One or two foot bigger on each side for the spa
I would have plumbed my deck jets and bubblers in a loop for even plume heights
If i had disposable income i would have put a concrete deck down and then done travertine on top with it mortared down to cut down on the amount of sand from the joints that comes from travertine pavers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.