You Won't Believe What a Local Prominent Pool Co. Told Me

Donna P

Jun 20, 2019
Las Vegas, nv
In calling a very popular 30+ year local pool company and discussing my high CYA levels & needing to partially drain, he said 1) there’s no need to do that 2) the idea that you need a bunch of (store bought) pool chemicals other than chlorine is a ploy for companies to make money- especially Leslie’s Pools, 3) they've never used test kits on the 30 yr old pools at their showroom location, nor do they recommend them- those are a waste of money also 4) as long as the water stays clear and clean then it’s fine 5) I only need to use liquid chlorine or even dollar store bleach and some phos -free and the pool will ’work itself out eventually’

Basically, he said don’t even bother with all of the “test kit numbers“ - all of this stuff we THINK we should be doing to treat our pools is unnecessary and bunch of hooey.

It may or may not be true, but I have to admit, it sure eliminates some stress for this newbie pool owner. Maybe I’ll save the $90 I was going to spend on a service call. ?

It all works out eventually with service calls by them to fix problems caused by aggressive etching or scaling water chemistry.

His use of liquid chlorine recommendation is correct. And depending on how high your CYA is your CYA may drop over time due to natural degradation to work out eventually.

Lots of things will work out eventually unless it doesn't.

Not much we wouldn't believe. I have heard enough that I mostly just roll my eyes, but never express disbelief.

Sounds like you haven't gotten the chance to check out Pool School yet, since you are giving the "none of that matters" far too much credence. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry is a good place to start.

Last edited:
Note that companies don't say things, people do.

How long has the employee been working for the company?

Are they the owner?

Maybe it's just someone on their first day making up nonsense.

At least they arent teaching alchemy. Years back we had a report that the salesgirl dismissed Calcium buildup with Cal-hypo because it all turns to chlorine when it hits the water. If she knows how to turn Calcium into Chlorine, she should next turn Iron into Gold.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.