Yet another what heat pump should I buy question

Aug 6, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
I've narrowed down to 2 heat pumps, hoping to get some input and thoughts on these. Both are similar in specs. Sunblazer is built by Aquacal and has a 7 year warranty, 2 on labor whereas Built Right is an independent company, 5 years warranty but covers labor and costs for any shipping for replacement parts. The Built Right has a slightly better COP (60/5.6/4.0 vs 5.5/5.2/4.0. Water flow is the same for both.
1. Sunblazer SB128 - 128k BTU
2. Built Right BR135XW - 135k BTU

It's an IG pool in North Florida, and with a screen covering the pool. During the summer the water is probably lower 70s, drops to lower 60s in the winter/spring. Ambient air temperature ranges from a rare low of upper 30s a few nights per year but typically 40s-50s in winter to upper 90s for a good part of the summer. I'll be using the heater year-round to keep the water temperature in the lower 80s.

Flip a coin. They are basically identical.

Buy the one that you think you can get better local service on when it has a problem. The warranty alone is meaningless if they don't have local people who can work on your unit, as some members have discovered.

Since you are going to run so much you may look at the Variable Speed one from Aquacal, it may save you some major money.. :)
COP: 9.3/8.6/5.0

Thank you both for the input. For one, I know there is a local Aquacal rep, the other would be serviced by the pool company that did the installation. Either way, it sounds like I need to look into variable speed and then break down whichever would be the bet "bang for my buck."

Reactions: cowboycasey
Okay, next question on this. About how much, on average, have people paid to run 50 amps to for the heat pump? It's less than 50 feet from the breaker box, probably closer to 30 feet as they'll be running things through the attic as opposed to entirely along the side of the house. I've gotten two estimates, one about $4,400 without electrical and one $5,500 all installation included, so I'm trying to determine an apples to apples cost but haven't gotten an electrical company to give me a quote yet.

There really is no average, get 3 quotes and go with the best one.. The cheapest one is not usually the best one.. I went with the one that knew what he was doing and knew about bonding and local codes for pools... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.