Yet another solar cover On or Off during the day thread

First month the outdoor temperatures were nice, we had the pool cover on all time except when in use for a few hours a day. Now that we are hitting 90+ during the day, I have found that if I keep the cover on during the day, the water will get very warm but algae will start appearing. Is it fair to state, keep cover off during the day during hot humid summer (Washington DC area)

A few experiences with my solar cover:

1) My PH would drop if the cover was left on all the time (after about 5 days or so), but removing it for a few days would naturally allow the PH to come back to a normal range. I added no SODA ASH or BORAX.

2) My cover fit perfectly over the pool in 2 large sections, and one very small section for the steps. Same type of event (if left on for days), algae spots would appear. There have been members reporting that my chemicals were off (not a chance), and that it is my chemistry that was causing this (again - NOT a chance). Eventually I cut 1' off the covers around the 2 pieces and this year, no matter what, there is no algae. The only disadvantage to cutting the cover is that you have some heat loss during the evening. Last year, at night (real cold nights) the water temperature would drop 2* at most. Now I am seeing a 3* drop with the way the cover is cut.

3) My cover goes on at night (and comes off early a.m.), now given that the temperatures will be soaring and we are heading into hot weather, at least for the east coast. I find that having the cover off during the day is a good thing. Another thing that I have done (or doing) is that I manually turn the filter on for one hour (as I never now when the cover will come off). The surface water, which of course is warmer due to the solar cover is picked up quickly by the skimmers (faster than evaporation), at least I believe and pushed towards the middle and bottom of the pool, allowing other water to naturally heat up.

Solar covers do work, but can be annoying when removing and having to bend down. I have to pull from both sides not to crease them. My next go around, the new cover will go into 3 pieces (about 12' each), instead of 16', which will make removing a lot easier. When I put on the pool, I carefully place in water and use the brush to roll it out given the PVC is on the inside. Then the PVC is used to make sure the cover does not blow off the pool.

It depends on a lot of things. Biggest issue for me is I want spontaneous access to the pool. 90% of my and my family's use of the pool is daily quick dips after dinner. We simply wouldn't do that if we had to take on/off a cover each time.

Reactions: Newdude
And then there ws that time that my dumb-butt dog said 'You made me a shortcut !!' And tried to run across it. Sucked him right in and i had to throw my phone and rescue him. Luckily his head was above water cuz he probably would have drowned in the 5 minutes it took to drag him and the now 9000 lb wet cover to the side and free him.

It was a real eye opener for safety purposes. If it was one of the kids and they landed upside down it would have been tragic. After that experience nobody but adults were allowed in the fenced in pool area when the cover was on.

• Wow
Reactions: Joshii
No matter what a pool owner is working with, supervision is important, whether it be dogs, cats, children, and even adults. The best thing to do with a solar cover is to put on at night (around 9 p.m. to 10 p.m.), and remove prior to 8 a.m. in the morning, with safety being a priority!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.