Yet another pre-build thread :D

A previous builder landed at $47k for the pool but didn't want to deal with the enclosure supports under the decking. So that proposal sits in the file atm. However, there is another consideration that isn't present on my drawing because I was lazy and didn't want to model them all out.

The issue being trees.

All along the North fence-line are trees every bit of thirty feet in height or more. The limbs of said trees extend at least half way across the back yard. My initial thoughts were to trim the limbs but later thinking on the matter ( especially when the warranty is only one year ) brought the concerns about the tree roots to mind. Since most tree roots will spread as far out as the branches do, this may very well be a project killer.

These trees are far enough away from the house for the root system not to be an issue, but the entire pool will sit MUCH closer to them and I'm concerned that the root system will absolutely wreak havoc with the level and / or outright destroy the gunite shell. A very expensive issue years down the road far after the warranty has expired.

While the trees could be removed, it would be an expensive undertaking and would add just that much more cost to the entire project as it is and it really hasn't even started yet. . .

There is a very good chance that the trees are the iceberg that will take the ship down here.

While the trees could be removed, it would be an expensive undertaking and would add just that much more cost to the entire project as it is and it really hasn't even started yet. . .

There is a very good chance that the trees are the iceberg that will take the ship down here.

There are certainly other benefits of the enclosure (as you mentioned pet eating mosquitos, direct UV screening, etc.), but have you considered removing the trees in lieu of the enclosure? Is that an option or are you set on the enclosure? Even for mature 30 foot trees I cant imagine it being comparable in cost unless you have 20+ of them. We are removing two smaller hardwoods (about 10 years old, 20' tall) for about $500 each including stump grinding. This may get your budget more in line with what you were hoping for and also offer more direct sun on the pool, further helping your desire to heat the pool. I am imagining if the tree limbs extend halfway across the yard, your pool is going to have a lot of shade currently?

A previous builder landed at $47k for the pool but didn't want to deal with the enclosure supports under the decking...

$47,000 / 92 linear feet = $510/l-ft

HOLY COW!! Pools are expensive where you live. Even if you take $15,000 out for equipment and plaster, that's still $348/l-ft. Whoof....I could not afford a pool in your locale....

Do you have a pic taken from the back of the house towards the trees? That would be very helpful in the tree discussion.

Ok. The photo will show you what I'm looking at tree wise. The limbs overhang roughly half of the backyard and at least one of the root systems is responsible for lifting part of the concrete slab the storage bldg sits on. Which is why it no longer sits level :|

Even if I removed all of MY trees, the neighbors tree on the far side of the fence is pretty much Treemageddon when Fall hits and it starts dropping leaves. Thus, the enclosure would be all but mandatory here.

Note the decking would pretty much encompass this entire area. From the edge of the house, to just about a foot off the treeline. I don't think the trees could stay if the pool was still a consideration.

That said, I haven't heard from the PB ever since I asked why the warranty was only a year long :D There is a very high probability I will have to shelve the pool project as too many issues are coming up before it even gets started. Perhaps I'll will the lotto and have a decent pool someday :)

BY-1.jpg

Agreed that the trees that can be removed would need to be removed. And yes the enclosure would be a huge help. And I'm sure he $'s are flashing in your head.

Yep, that many trees overhanging a pool would be a disaster in terms of cleanup. You'd be running a robot cleaner everyday and manually leaf rake skimming just as much.

If you removed all of your trees and asked the neighbor if some of his could be pruned back (you'd be paying for that), then you could probably get away without the enclosure but there would still be serious pollen issues.

I wouldn't let the trees stop you. We removed nine trees, ten stumps, and trimmed three others - two on town property and one on our neighbor's property. In my town we can trim anything that hangs over our property without permission as long as doing so won't kill the tree. It might be worth it to check your tree trimming rules before totally shelving the project. It was expensive, but so worth it.

We still have a ton of trees in the area, but that's to be expected in New England and just part of having a pool here. I haven't yet had the experience of having all the leaves drop in the pool, but with the drought causing the leaves to turn early and a few big storms we have been given a sense of what it will be like.

I would nix the enclosure and use that money to get rid of the trees, and perhaps trim any others if possible on your neighbor's property. I would then get an automatic cover and/or in floor pool cleaning system, use a plaster that won't show stains as easily, and enjoy swimming in your pool :)

If you hit the lottery you can add the enclosure later. Just a thought...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.