Yet another newbie with chemical ?

Your cya is 50 - there are no inbetweens u always round up to the next 10.
Normal fc target is 6 to 8 ppm & slam fc is 20ppm 👍🏻
Who suggested not to SLAM Process@ night? I suggested not to fill at night because your liner can shrink & put stress on your pool walls.
Please read the entire thing & follow it exactly. Slam is not a one time addition of liquid chlorine - it is bringing the water to Shock Level And Maintaining it @ that level until u pass all 3 end of slam criteria. The more often u test & bring it back to shock level the faster u will meet all 3 criteria. Here’s a video also
Thank you. Here is the quote from TFP

“You cannot do this overnight…it often takes several days to see it completed…no shortcuts.”

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hello again.. 🙏 I ask for your patience .. First, I have made and saved a signature u see my profile. I watched the video. I do not see my signature showing up. Please let me know if you see it. Thx

I’m working through this SLAM thing and want to make sure I get it right.
Todays reading : FC 5 CC: 0.5. CYA 50

last night I added what the pool math app said to add to get my SLAM target of 20. That would have been around 10 cups. The readings above is what I had as of this morning without doing anything but leaving the pump on all night and still is. Just tested again and my levels are the same.

Hello again.. 🙏 I ask for your patience .. First, I have made and saved a signature u see my profile. I watched the video. I do not see my signature showing up. Please let me know if you see it. Thx

last night I added what the pool math app said to add to get my SLAM target of 20. That would have been around 10 cups. The readings above is what I had as of this morning without doing anything but leaving the pump on all night and still is. Just tested again and my levels are the same.
Tested again and FC: 5. CC 0 CYA 50 pool math says to add I gallon and a quart.

Did you substantiate a slam level of 20 before you quit for the night. The idea behind all this slam stuff is to keep it at that level as often as possible and not let it drop. That's when it's doing the job. The FC is what you have to check now and forget about the CC stuff for now. Next is when the FC holds to 20 is when you will keep slam one more day and then do the OCLT. At that point you can also run a CC check but most likely will be at most .5 because that's what a slam is for , to rid the water of chlorine consumption organics and the like.

Here is the quote from TFP

“You cannot do this overnight…it often takes several days to see it completed…no shortcuts

As in..... no miracle cures overnight and wake up to a clear pool. It is a process that takes time and half of that time it is dark out.

Did you substantiate a slam level of 20 before you quit for the night. The idea behind all this slam stuff is to keep it at that level as often as possible and not let it drop. That's when it's doing the job. The FC is what you have to check now and forget about the CC stuff for now. Next is when the FC holds to 20 is when you will keep slam one more day and then do the OCLT. At that point you can also run a CC check but most likely will be at most .5 because that's what a slam is for , to rid the water of chlorine consumption organics and the like.
Well there it is 🙄 NOW I understand it. Thanks for your time 😊

If I was of any help in allowing Bark Cousteau to swim, I consider it an honor.

Just. LOOK. At. Her. !!!!!! Lol

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My three girls are very mad that they are unable to swim until I square this away..
You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

It’s there-If you’re on a mobile device u must turn it sideways to see your signature 👍🏻
You must maintain 20ppm fc for the duration of the slam. Testing fc multiple times daily & adding liquid chlorine to maintain the shock/slam level of 20 Until u pass ALL 3 end of slam criteria. Every hour that you’re not at slam level for your cya is an hour that algae/organics win.
The other numbers (min& target) on the chart are for normal every day maintenance times.
Just stick w/ fc test - your cya will not likely change. & the cc test isn’t necessary until you’re doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.
Thank you so much. I appreciate that information. I have a yellow lab that turns green when my chlorine levels are high... at least I thought that was why ... I’m opening a whole new world this week though. 🤯

Thanks for clearing yet another mystery up for me 😉
Well... I’m doing okay for now on the SLAM front. I got to my 20 and then down to 17/18. Back up to 20 now and gonna rest again in an hour. I cleaned my cartridge jic and I was wondering, does it matter what speed I have my pump on while doing this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.