Yet another newbie with chemical ?

Lablover1211

Jul 4, 2020
Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
Surface
Vinyl
So happy to have stopped the madness of the three pool supply stores conflicting (Mis) information and found TFP!!
I’m trying daily to do the best I can to straighten my knowledge of chemistry out since the disaster of losing my expensive pool heater in one season to poor chemica balance... 🙄

so here is where I am. Chicago suburbs. Above ground oval 10k gallon pool. I just removed my frogged system this year so I’m having to learn chlorine 101 as well.

I have 130 TA, PH is somewhere between 6.8-7.0 I believe. 0 chlorine even though I added yesterday and have floater. I would like to lower TA and raise PH and chlorine. Can you help with how to do that and in which order please?

I have borax Muriatic a id and 12% gallon of chlorine/bleach with a floater and tablets. I have a pool store dropper type testing kit that tests only five things. Also have test strips 🙏
Thank you in advance!

Have you downloaded the Pool Math app or used the web version? That will tell you what amount of chemicals to add based on your pool parameters. I would definitely focus on raising pH and increasing Chlorine first. pH is normally increased through aeration especially if your TA is high which yours is on upper end, but you may not have capability for that with AGP. Here is the info from the Chemistry page. "PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the PH and also raises the TA level just a little. If your TA level is low soda ash will raise both the PH and TA levels. If your TA level is high, aeration is best as it will not raise the TA level at all."

Have you downloaded the Pool Math app or used the web version? That will tell you what amount of chemicals to add based on your pool parameters. I would definitely focus on raising pH and increasing Chlorine first. pH is normally increased through aeration especially if your TA is high which yours is on upper end, but you may not have capability for that with AGP. Here is the info from the Chemistry page. "PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the PH and also raises the TA level just a little. If your TA level is low soda ash will raise both the PH and TA levels. If your TA level is high, aeration is best as it will not raise the TA level at all."
Thank you. I do have the app and have input my readings, however I cannot find where within the app it summarizes what to add. I just keep reading and reading articles which can be inconsistent. I read on TFP to not add chemicals together. Also, as long as PH is above 6.8 I’m good to add the acid. I do have a fountain for aeration and two discharges if that helps. So I want to increase my ph first, then chlorine and then check before adding borax ? I’ll start reading about borax ....

Thank you. I do have the app and have input my readings, however I cannot find where within the app it summarizes what to add. I just keep reading and reading articles which can be inconsistent. I read on TFP to not add chemicals together. Also, as long as PH is above 6.8 I’m good to add the acid. I do have a fountain for aeration and two discharges if that helps. So I want to increase my ph first, then chlorine and then check before adding borax ? I’ll start reading about borax ....
If you press on the specific test like FC (on the Home screen), it will go to another screen that shows if you want to increase it. Plug in that value and at the bottom it will tell you how much to add based on the type of chlorine you have. Hope this helps.

Welcome to tfp!
1st thing’s 1st to properly chlorinate u need to know your CYA level so u can follow theFC/CYA Levels
To accurately know this you need a proper test kit - tf100 or Taylor K2006c see Test Kits Compared
Until u get a proper kit in add 5ppm of liquid chlorine every day starting right now
Use PoolMath to calculate additions.
Your Ta is fine -
To raise your ph without raising your ta you can aerate the water. (Point your jets up or run a fountain)
Please don’t add any acid now.
when ph rises to 7.8 or so you can add enough acid to bring it down to 7.2 - this will lower your ta some
TA & PH are married when it comes to chemical additions (they rise & fall together)
Aeration is the only way to increase ph without increasing TA

please read theABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
When you’re kit comes in post all your test results here & we’ll help u figure things out.

Welcome to tfp!
1st thing’s 1st to properly chlorinate u need to know your CYA level so u can follow theFC/CYA Levels
To accurately know this you need a proper test kit - tf100 or Taylor K2006c see Test Kits Compared
Until u get a proper kit in add 5ppm of liquid chlorine every day starting right now
Your Ta is fine -
To raise your ph without raising your ta you can aerate the water. (Point your jets up or run a fountain)
when ph rises to 7.8 or so you can add enough acid to bring it down to 7.2 - this will lower your ta some
TA & PH are married when it comes to chemical additions (they rise & fall together)

When you’re kit comes in post all your test results here & we’ll help u figure things out.
Thank you so very much!! I appreciate you taking that stress off and heading me in the right direction. I assumed that all dropper test kits where the same. lol! I will post results as soon as I get it!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome to tfp!
Your Ta is fine -

Hello again MDraggee 👋🏼
I recieved the new K 2006c kit and am working my way through it. I now can u see stand the difference and I thank you. My CYA reading is just showing under 100. I can’t get a specific number, but here goes on the rest of the readings you wanted:
PH 7.4
TA 90 (110 before adding chlorine and before rainstorm )
Shows no Calcium Hardness
FC 1.5
Combined 0.5
I just got this kit yesterday so I’m working through getting better.

thank you so very much for taking the time to educate me and move me in the right direction.
As for the Pool Math app. Is it safe to assume I need to upgrade to keep history of my entries? I see now where I can enter things in for correction suggestion.

If the dot disappears after 90 but before 100 - you count it as 100. Always round up to the next “10”.
Since its so high you may need to do the diluted cya test- mix equal parts pool water & tap water then use that as your sample & preform the test. Multiply your result by 2.
To get down to a reasonable level of cya in your pool u will need to probably exchange at least 50% of your water & only chlorinate with liquid chlorine from here on out.
The way it is right now your fc target is 13ppm & SLAM Processfc target would be 39ppm.
As we follow the FC/CYA Levels
Your ph,ta, & ch are fine.

I believe u do need a subscription to store logs in poolmath. I find it’s well worth the cost as it’s convenient & supports a good cause.
some just use a notebook log.

Reactions: Newdude
I could see Mdragger helping already from the main forum page. With you being in good hands already, I came in to say that based on your screen name I would like you. Then I saw your avatar and WAS. NOT. Disappointed.

If the dot disappears after 90 but before 100 - you count it as 100. Always round up to the next “10”.
Since its so high you may need to do the diluted cya test- mix equal parts pool water & tap water then use that as your sample & preform the test. Multiply your result by 2.
To get down to a reasonable level of cya in your pool u will need to probably exchange at least 50% of your water & only chlorinate with liquid chlorine from here on out.
The way it is right now your fc target is 13ppm & SLAM Processfc target would be 39ppm.

I believe u do need a subscription to store logs in poolmath. I find it’s well worth the cost as it’s convenient & supports a good cause.
MDragger88,

First, thank you again for takingthe time to give me knowledgeable clear instruction. You have no idea how much stress you took off me.
After giving you my results, I realized I had read the reading wrong on my CYA, but you knew that already 😉 It is way over 100. I did the 1/2 & 1/2 test and looks like 70 with that.
So to be clear, I should drain half my pool and refill then apply my liquid chlorine measurements as recommended after I refill pool correct? I have been adding 3 cups of 12% liquid chlorine for the last two months. I do have a floating tablet device that they recommended. Should I continue

Hello again,

first, thank you again for your valuable time in helping me.
As you already determined, I was reading the CYA test wrong and my initial reading was way over 100. I just did the 1/2&1/2 and I’m in the 70 range.
I have been using 3 cups of 12% liquid chlorine for about two months now with a trichlor tablet floater I the pool as well. Based on what I was reading I’m a bit u sure about the use of this floater. Your thoughts are appreciated.
To be clear, cuz I’m getting old and don’t remember as well, lol, I should drain half my pool water and refill then add chlorine accordingly? I guess we now know why I can’t keep chlorine stable and alkalinity was high.
I have been running my fountain daily to try and get that PH up so I can lower the TA. Still hovering around the 7.4 😐

thank you again and I agree.. pool math subscription is the way to go certainly has payed dividends already!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
MDragger88,

First, thank you again for takingthe time to give me knowledgeable clear instruction. You have no idea how much stress you took off me.
After giving you my results, I realized I had read the reading wrong on my CYA, but you knew that already 😉 It is way over 100. I did the 1/2 & 1/2 test and looks like 70 with that.
So to be clear, I should drain half my pool and refill then apply my liquid chlorine measurements as recommended after I refill pool correct? I have been adding 3 cups of 12% liquid chlorine for the last two months. I do have a floating tablet device that they recommended. Should I continue

Hello again,

first, thank you again for your valuable time in helping me.
As you already determined, I was reading the CYA test wrong and my initial reading was way over 100. I just did the 1/2&1/2 and I’m in the 70 range.
I have been using 3 cups of 12% liquid chlorine for about two months now with a trichlor tablet floater I the pool as well. Based on what I was reading I’m a bit u sure about the use of this floater. Your thoughts are appreciated.
To be clear, cuz I’m getting old and don’t remember as well, lol, I should drain half my pool water and refill then add chlorine accordingly? I guess we now know why I can’t keep chlorine stable and alkalinity was high.
I have been running my fountain daily to try and get that PH up so I can lower the TA. Still hovering around the 7.4 😐

thank you again and I agree.. pool math subscription is the way to go certainly has payed dividends already!!
PLEASE disregard my foolish floater comment... that would be no. I had to reread and you already answers that 🙄

If you’re diluted test read 70 then u have a cya of 140 as 70x2=140.
poolmath calls for a 70% drain to get to 40 cya if that’s the case.
A 50% drain would only get u down to about 70 cya.
Ph & Ta are fine. If you’re gonna drain & refill u will adjust ph then.
It’s not advisable to drain an above ground pool lower than 1ft remaining. If it is buried I wouldn’t let the water go lower than the ground level.
A submersible pump is helpful for quick draining & some folks use 2 hoses to refill
Here’s some more draining info:

You’re
If you’re diluted test read 70 then u have a cya of 140 as 70x2=140.
poolmath calls for a 70% drain to get to 40 cya if that’s the case.
A 50% drain would only get u down to about 70 cya.
Ph & Ta are fine. If you’re gonna drain & refill u will adjust ph then.
It’s not advisable to drain an above ground pool lower than 1ft remaining. If it is buried I wouldn’t let the water go lower than the ground level.
A submersible pump is helpful for quick draining & some folks use 2 hoses to refill
Here’s some more draining info:

You’re the best! Thank you again! We do have the pumps going now. I don’t have it below ground but it was filled pretty high and although after doing the math (as I’m sure u did) it puts me right at 12.5” which I agree is too low for my oval walls and my fear is damage to structure. I think I’m comfortable going a little over half to see how she does. I’ll keep you posted. 🤞

A slam @ 70 cya is doable just not great/uses alot of liquid chlorine - Lots of people have to do multiple water exchanges. It just uses more water. Keep us posted!

Ok... in the home stretch!!
Drained by little more than half and refilled pool. Readings are as follows:
FC-0.8
Cc-0
PH-7.4
TA-100
CYA-47
CH-130

I figure my FC should be 6.8 with SLAM of 20. it suggested I not SLAM overnight at first. Since it’s early eve here. Am I good to start adding my 12% liquid chlorine now u til I reach 20? Then maintain? At 6.8?

thank you 🙏 😊

Nicely done !!

Cya always rounds up. So 47 is 50. Just fill right to each 10 line and look for the dot. No need to care about 37 or whatever. Just the 10s.

I figure my FC should be 6.8 with SLAM of 20
Yes. But it’s 6 to 8, Not point 8. And really as a newb you want to target the 8 to have a little breathing room. Once you know your pool backwards and fowards and all its behavior, Anywhere in range is fine, but a lot of us still keep it up anyway.

. it suggested I not SLAM overnight at first
I’m not sure but I don’t see why not. @Mdragger88 ?

Last edited:
Your cya is 50 - there are no inbetweens u always round up to the next 10.
Normal fc target is 6 to 8 ppm & slam fc is 20ppm 👍🏻
Who suggested not to SLAM Process@ night? I suggested not to fill at night because your liner can shrink & put stress on your pool walls.
Please read the entire thing & follow it exactly. Slam is not a one time addition of liquid chlorine - it is bringing the water to Shock Level And Maintaining it @ that level until u pass all 3 end of slam criteria. The more often u test & bring it back to shock level the faster u will meet all 3 criteria. Here’s a video also

Nicely done !!

Cya always rounds up. So 47 is 50. Just fill right to each 10 line and look for the dot. No need to care about 37 or whatever. Just the 10s.

Yes. But it’s 6 to 8, Not point 8. And really as a newb you want to target the 8 to have a little breathing room. Once you know your pool backwards and fowards and all its behavior, Anywhere in range is fine, but a lot of us still keep it up anyway.

I’m not sure but I don’t see why not. @Mdragger88
I was typin’ lol

• Haha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.