Yet another DIY pool controller thread

The Pentair driver in their VSPs aren't heatsinked adequately, hence they die an early death in an otherwise fully solid state design.

The only thing that dies in there, most of the time, is a proprietary motor driver that doesn't have the adequate heat sink. On an open market such parts range from $50 typically but in extreme cases $100, but you can't buy that proprietary motor driver on an open market.

So interesting that you brought this up. As my Pentair pump driver just stopped (most likely due to a lightning strike). The pump is still running, but the screen is blank (although backlit). I dont know if the RS-485 connection still works as the the strike fried my DIY controller which is now going through a rebuild.

So time to update this thread. A while back I built V2 of my pool automation system. It included upgrades to 7.7 of the NodeJSpool controller and using the Nixie interface.

Well a lightning strike took care of that. So V3 is now being built.

Picture of v2 before the tear down.

Attachments

• IMG_6699.jpeg
    IMG_6699.jpeg
    529.2 KB · Views: 24
The rebuild is now fully complete.

Everything is powered by one 24VAC transformer. I have installed the T3 and EZO for pH measuring and the filter pressure probe is installed and working.

Turns out my little lightening strike also fried the 485 cable so I replaced that too and now my Intellflo3 is being controlled.

Attachments

• IMG_6932.jpeg
    IMG_6932.jpeg
    541.1 KB · Views: 10
Sorry to hear about your lightning strike... brings back memories when I fried a lot of my pool controls and heater controls.a... went through months of agony to find out the strike had shorted main power through tiny burn marks in the insulation to ground. Power still worked fine for everything else since the leakage was so small. However, it doesn't take much leakage to make modern heater controls useless! I'm planning to add lightning protection to my sub panel... might be worth considering if you have room. Takes two breaker slots.

I've been reading and re-reading your posts on this system for my OB about to get started. Thanks much for documenting this so well!

Chris

Hey, I am going to just put this out there again. If you have your Pi you can pop down either Monday or Tuesday and I can so you how its hooked up. We can also load all the software up and you can be one step ahead of the game.

Hey, I am going to just put this out there again. If you have your Pi you can pop down either Monday or Tuesday and I can so you how its hooked up. We can also load all the software up and you can be one step ahead of the game.
Dude,
That would be great and thanks much! Might be able to make it Tuesday, I'll ping you with contact info. Whoops, I don't have the 4 yet. Should I wait for this?

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update on the pool project:

Seems like most of the time I'm dealing with problems and I'm still having issues getting the excavation and forming contractor due to weather delays on other jobs. But I think that's about to work itself out. So here's some good news. I rebid gunite since the validity was only 30 days (typical post-covid). They actually had an 8% increase across the board but waived it since this is a fairly large job. Also you may recall their estimate was much higher than mine and the rebid estimator is their sr estimator (he was on vacation for my previous one). Now their estimate is within 1 yard of mine! Reduces cost by ~$5000. This is not really a savings to the job since they true-up and refund for concrete overage but it is still nice to see my cost trending in better shape.

Chris

Reactions: Newdude
Pool update.

Finally looks like things are falling into place to begin the dig next week. I need to close couple the dig with forming due to the fact the hole will be very close to large footers that are major load bearing footers so I need the forming walls up right away and concrete asap. Robin and I are thinking about making a video of this project starting from the project planing through design, estimating, scheduling, permitting and construction. We saw a similar video from another couple in Florida that did similar for a project with a builder. We're thinking an OB in Florida for an owner that's subbing it out might be helpful to others. Will keep you posted on this. Right now we're swamped just getting materials, excavation, forming, pluming, electrical all in sync and ready to start next week... off to meet with several of them now.

Chris
PS after today or Monday we're going to be $50,000 pregnant with this job!

Views out the back door... I hope the calm gets pretty busy next week!

1706308377000.jpeg

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.