Yellow wax film on filter

ortvk

Jun 23, 2020
Delaware
New to the site and pool world. Did a quick search and kind of hard to find what I have going on.

Left to camp for the weekend. Came home to a crystal clear pool (was semi cloudy before we left but not bad). Turn on filter and cloudy in 10 minutes. Took out filter and a waxy looking yellow film that rubbed off kinda gooey on filter and floaters in filter box. Don’t notice any of this film in pool. I reloaded chlorine tabs and shocked as it was 8 days since the last time
It was done. Thinking is algae 😔

Any help would be great!

Attachments

• D1BA332C-2B75-4822-B48C-FFC2A5EFE2C3.jpeg
    D1BA332C-2B75-4822-B48C-FFC2A5EFE2C3.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 9
  • D94F5D9A-CEB8-48B4-BAB1-6CF68814C58B.jpeg
    D94F5D9A-CEB8-48B4-BAB1-6CF68814C58B.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 6D4D8187-B42D-4DC0-B9C2-A69A7F508191.jpeg
    6D4D8187-B42D-4DC0-B9C2-A69A7F508191.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to TFP! :wave: It's possible you have more than one issue happening at the same time. My first concern would be your overall water chemistry since you mentioned it was cloudy before you left for camp. You are also using chlorine tablets which can be problematic if used too much. So a few questions to start:
- Can you post a full set of water test results? Tell us what kit is used for the testing.
- Have you added any pool store floc, clarifiers, or other pool store potions to the water?
- Are you on a well?

We'll go from there.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: It's possible you have more than one issue happening at the same time. My first concern would be your overall water chemistry since you mentioned it was cloudy before you left for camp. You are also using chlorine tablets which can be problematic if used too much. So a few questions to start:
- Can you post a full set of water test results? Tell us what kit is used for the testing.
- Have you added any pool store floc, clarifiers, or other pool store potions to the water?
- Are you on a well?

We'll go from there.

Currently at work. But I can answer a few of these.

Using poolmaster test strips. Can post results when i get home. I do know as of last night FCI was 0.5 Alk was 80 and pH was 6.8 (only 3 the strips offer)
I have added 1 oz of Robard Super Blue Clarifier before camping and again came home to clear as could be pool.
We are on well but used a local company to fill since I didn't want to risk burning up well pump. But they are well too. Did do a opening treatment that consisted of algae remover, shock and de-metalizer (probably not the right term but yeah haha)

So it seems you have a pool cocktail of sorts brewing (algae, metals, and gummy stuff). Here are a few things to help get your water back on track:
- Test strips (aka guess strips) are horrible. Free store testing is not too far behind. You must have a good, reliable test kit. We recommend the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. See Test Kits Compared. It's a cost upfront but pays for itself later.
- We almost never recommend clarifier or floc. Those products are a Band-Aid fix and tend to cause more problems like gumming-up the filter. Your paper cartridge filter may need to be replaced now.
- Algaecides are also meaningless except perhaps for winter closing. Summertime should have no need. Plus many of those add copper to the water.
- I suspect the orange is iron from the water source. The only way to remove iron (or copper) is to exchange the water with non-metal water if possible. If not, then trying to filter it and treat it chemically is next.

Once you get home, take some time to review everything above. review the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and those Vital Links in my signature below. Also update your signature as well. We'll be happy to coach you and your pool through a get-well process if you are willing to learn a few basic TFP principles. But you will need one of those test kits.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.