Yellow stains in pool from iron-Salt pool procedure

Jun 9, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Hi there. Vinyl liner has a lot of stains, did the vitamin c test on pool steps and it cleared the stain. I have a salt pool and plan to do the ascorbic acid treatment using a sequestering agent but,
was wondering if i have to use a special sequestering agent for a salt pool or the same stuff a chlorine pool would use?? Planning to use one of the Jacks Magic products for the sequestering agent. Thanks in advance.

OK, I understand that salt turns into chlorine but that wasn’t my question. I actually converted my chlorine pool that was using the bleach method to a saltwater system last year, and since I’m new with this system I wasn’t sure if regular sequestrant would affect my salt cell in any way, which is why I asked if this group recommended a special sequestrant for salt systems that wouldn’t affect the cell. Ive never had to use any form of sequestrant before & again didn’t know if I needed something different than a normal chlorine bleach method pool.

Sequesterants will not effect your salt cell.

There is no difference between a “chlorine “ pool and a “salt” pool other then you have an additional piece of equipment, the SWG. All the same precautions apply as to maintaining proper water chemistry as you begin adding stuff to your water.

Use Jacks Purple Stuff as the sequestrant with your SWG.

Last edited:
Reactions: aesweeps
A salt water pool is considered a high TDS water body. The major component of that TDS are sodium ions (Na+). Because sequestering agents are anionic compounds (they have negative charges to them), you want to use a sequestering agent that’s formulated to work when there are higher concentrations of metallic species in the water. The Jacks Magic products formulated for salt water pools will give you the performance you are looking for.

Reactions: aesweeps

There is no difference between a “chlorine “ pool and a “salt” pool other then you have an additional piece of equipment, the SWG. All the same precautions apply as to maintaining proper water chemistry as you begin adding stuff to your water.

THANK YOU I APPRECIATE YOUR RESPONSE AND HELP!! :)

A salt water pool is considered a high TDS water body. The major component of that TDS are sodium ions (Na+). Because sequestering agents are anionic compounds (they have negative charges to them), you want to use a sequestering agent that’s formulated to work when there are higher concentrations of metallic species in the water. The Jacks Magic products formulated for salt water pools will give you the performance you are looking for.
THANK YOU I APPRECIATE YOUR RESPONSE AND HELP!! :)

DosageInitial: 1 quart per 10,000 gallons
Maintenance: 6-8 ounces per 10,000 gallons weekly
I saw this on their site for dosage, I'm assuming I would need use the "initial' method, and not the maintenance dosage. I have a 30K gallon pool so 3quarts of this stuff is pretty expensive so just wanted to doublecheck before I made the puchase. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Correct. The expense of seqestrant is why we do not encourage their usage unless absolutely necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.